GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Have many sources. Do they have any in stock is another matter. At this point, wait to see the election results. If Trump's reelected I think the bots will shut down and by early next year normality will return to reloading. If Biden's elected $100/1K may be the new normal.

Reactions: Road Dog

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,309 Posts
Try small local independent gun stores that sell by the single tray. Bricks were sold out months ago and won't return for a while.

·
Registered
14,126 Posts
Nope. I’m on the notification list for every major reloading vendor I know of.

I have gotten a few notifications in the last couple of months. They all sold out within minutes.

Good luck.

·
real dogs
1,942 Posts
The last surge in gun sales and ammo and components depleted all those products and now the supply lines are slowly filled. Partly due to reduced workforce, covid concerns. Now people without components and scalpers grab primers as fast as they hit the shelves. It will slowly return to normal if Trump wins, but if the "challenger" wins God only knows.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Small rifle primers will work, but only for range use since you may experience some ftf's due to a slightly harder case on the rifle primers.

Drop a couple grains to start, but they do work.

Reactions: jcullen

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Small rifle primers will work, but only for range use since you may experience some ftf's due to a slightly harder case on the rifle primers.

Drop a couple grains to start, but they do work.
They work sometimes, sometimes not. I have loaded some and get about 40% fail rate. This is in all Glock pistols. The cup is harder so if you have a pistol with a strong striker spring or hammer spring, you may have better luck than I did. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone doing this. They may work ok in a pistol caliber carbine but I don't have one to test this out. You may have different luck with another brand of pistol, but it doesn't work well in a Glock with factory springs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
They work sometimes, sometimes not. I have loaded some and get about 40% fail rate. This is in all Glock pistols. The cup is harder so if you have a pistol with a strong striker spring or hammer spring, you may have better luck than I did. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone doing this. They may work ok in a pistol caliber carbine but I don't have one to test this out. You may have different luck with another brand of pistol, but it doesn't work well in a Glock with factory springs.
Not so much pistol as primer. Cup thicknesses vary considerably among small rifle primers (0.019" - 0.025") less so among small pistol primers (supposedly 0.017"). The Remington 6.5 (0.020") has worked 100% in our Smith revolvers and Glocks. Sales of that primer languished bc most SR consumers are loading for AR-15s.

The Fed 200 and Fed 400 also have thin cups, might try them.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I've been using Federal Match SR primers for a longtime in all my pistols and revolver reloading, never had a problem.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I used several different brands of rifle primers, and in a Glock all you need is a 6lb firing pin spring from Wolff. You DO NOT drop the charge weight at all, especially not "a couple of grains?" A TG load of 3.5 grs to 2 grs? NO, not even by .2 grains, it only adds about 20 fps out of a G17 running a 124 gr bullet.

·
Registered
983 Posts
When I lived in Hawaii and it was hard getting reloading supplies, we would use small rifle primers in place of small pistol magnum primers in 357 magnum loads, with out changing the powder load at all.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Stumbled into 14k, some of them SPs. Estate sale, $20/k. Keep nose to the ground.

Also, consider SR primers. Think we've covered this already, but some have acceptably thin cups, work well in small pistol application. No problems so far with the Rem 6.5s got on closeout for $22/k. Got clued in by guys who load for open-bolt SMG 9mm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts