Primers question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by JMiller, Feb 8, 2010.

1. JMiller

JMiller

I have noticed in my Lyman book it has some loads with the (*) next to it. Down at the bottom it says the (*) means the use of CCI primers only. My question is why? I don't have any problem using CCI's I have lots on hand. I am just wondering if anyone here can give a comprehensive reply on different primers and why you would use one over another.

2. Glock2008

Glock2008 Gun User

Thats what they used when they created the load. They may have had pressure or ignition issues with other brands of primers. I've rarely used the primer stated for a given load, I just back off a bit and work back up.

3. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

I agree 100% with what Glock2008 stated

4. fredj338

fredj338

If you are using loads that are well off the top end, swapping brand of primer will have little affect on pressures. Where yo can get into trouble is w/ a max load & a slightly hotter primer. I've verifed this many times w/ a chronograph.

5. steve4102

steve4102

I checked out my Lyman 48. At the beginning of the load data Lyman lists all the components used. The * appears when they used more than one primer for their test data. Instead of having to print the primer used in the data section they use an * .

There could be many reasons why they have more than one primer in their data, age and when data was collected could be one.

6. JMiller

JMiller

Ok I really do get that I would be well advised to just follow the data. What I really wanted was someone to tell us (me and anyone else that might want to know) What are the differences between primes ie which ones are hotter then others and when and why you would use one over the other. I thank Fredj for his response seeing as he was on the right track with his response. I was just hoping for a more in depth look at what we are working with. I really do understand the commonsense part of the reloading thing. I am here to learn from anyone with some experience. So does anyone have any time to go into depth with the topic of primers and the differences between makes ie CCI, Wolf, Fed etc...

7. n2extrm

n2extrm

I am no expert here, I believe CCI is the hard end, then remington and finally federal the softest. Check out these photos for an eye opener on primers.

http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html

8. JMiller

JMiller

Wow that is an eye opener.