Primers backing out

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Hawaiiglock, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Hawaiiglock

Hawaiiglock 58008

Just started reloading for my rifle's, been reloading pistol ammo for a few months. First die set I bought was for 30-30, using once fired Winchester brass (factory ammo fired by myself), CCI 200 LRP's, Hornady Lever Evolution powder (32 grains), and 160 grain Hornady FTX bullets. I took my loads out to the range, they seemed to function well but I'm going to up the load a bit and see if I get better results. One thing I noticed is that on some of the fired brass the primers have slightly backed out, you can feel the ridge of the primer if you run your finger across the back of the shell. Is this normal? I did not go crazy when I cleaned the primer pockets, just a quick back and forth like I do on my pistol brass. Thanks!

Edit-No signs of over pressure around the primers, 32 grains is in the middle of the published data in Hornady's manual.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

3. countrygun

countrygun

Just as a general rule of thumb in some types of actions a primer backing out may be a sign of no enough pressure. I haven't had it happen with a lever gun but I would thin there is enough spring to do it. That is assuming the aren't flattened and showing overpressure signs of course.

4. steve4102

steve4102

As posted above, low pressure.
    Your 32gr is the Start charge according to Hodgdon, work your way up towards Max and the backed out primers should go away.

5. Hawaiiglock

Hawaiiglock 58008

Thanks for the info! I'll try and get some pics but it's such a small amount that the primer is sticking out I doubt my cheap camera can catch a good photo. I thought I was in the middle starting at 32 gr. (Hornady's manual list 27.7 gr. as a starting point for 160 grain FTX bullets). I'll bump the charge up a bit and test. There is a possibility that my C.O.L. may have played a small part in the primers backing out (low pressure), the manual calls for 2.535, I set mine a little longer (2.543) due to the upper edge of the crimp groove sitting almost below the mouth of the case on some of the shells.

6. fredj338

fredj338

EIther a low pressure event, but shouldn't happen w/ starting charges, or a headspace problem. Rimmed rounds headspace on the rim. You may have a generous chamber & are getting some excessive headspace. You are rpobably FL sizing. You could try partial FL sizing, leaves the shoulder in place & sizes the body & most of the neck. Check a dummy round w/ the sizing die backed off 1 full turn & see if it will still chamber. Then turn the die down 1/4 turn until it chambers easily. That will give you minimal headspace.