Primer reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FoodBag, Oct 31, 2020.

1. FoodBag

FoodBag Previously nutsnax

So I looked up a few youtube videos on reloading primers because I'm trying to conserve primers just like everyone else. So I thought I'd share my experience:

I'm trying to use these for practice/range ammo only. Not for carry purposes... though I would like to get these to be as reliable as possible because you never know.....

I saw the various tutorials about using roll caps - I thought it was ridiculous but hey, it looked fun and relatively straight-forward so why not.

I got a ton of spent primers I saved over the years, put them in a jar, closed the jar and shook the crap out of it - POOF, anvils and cups separated.

I took a spare section of brass cleaning rod from an extra gun cleaning kit I had laying around, took a cone-shaped diamond grinding bit on my dremel and wallowed out the end of the brass rod with it to both open it up and sharpen it.

I then use the brass rod with the newly sharpened hole (giggity), press and turn it over each individual roll cap - they come out like "hanging chads."

I put a spare punch (forgot the size) into my drill chuck and sanded it down to the measurements of a primer cup. This is to not just punch out the dent but to also help form any misshapen primer cups.

I then tear off and put the hanging chad circles into the primer cup face-up. Fits perfectly.

I center the anvil over the primer shell and tap it in gently with a plastic mallet and a large punch.

I load the empty/sized 9mm casing into my pistol and fire - nothing happens.... try again.... nothing happens. A third time I get a little puff out the end of the muzzle. This sucks.

I repeat the reloading process only now instead of using one cap I use two facing toward each other (one facing up, the other down). I figure redundancy and a little extra anvil compression could help.

I re-seat the anvil, seat the primer, load the empty case and pull the trigger - a much more authoritative "SNAP" comes out....the FIRST TIME

In subsequent tries it seems the sandwich approach is a much more reliable way to reload primers... this may even be suitable for practice/range ammo.... only time will tell.

I will say that this approach is sensitive to how the anvil is seated. It needs to be well seated in the primer cup.

Just thought I'd share my experience with this - it seems like the least dangerous way to do this and, so far, seems like it might be effective while not taking terribly long to accomplish.

-JCN- likes this.
  2. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Check over at castboolits as there’s alot of info on making percussion caps using those red paper caps in the muzzleloading sub-forum. There may be some info on centerfire primers as well.If you are using the red paper caps try the German made Legends caps as they work much better than the Chinese caps. I’ve found those caps at Wal Mart in the toy section.

3. A45acp1911

A45acp1911

Be aware may be (probably is?) corrosive, so I personally have no interest.

ThomasM4 likes this.
  4. Scott1970

Scott1970

A few years ago I began to save them in liquor bottles for no particular reason. I'm on my sixth bottle now.

[​IMG]

I've watched a video where a man successfully salvaged spent primers using the heads of matches.

5. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

Please don't let it come down to this.

835mag, ThomasM4 and Glock Commander like this.
  6. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

It won't... for me. I'm old and retired, but my time is worth something.

Nice experiment, but far from practical!

7. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I am a K.I.S.S. reloader :homer:

ejs54 likes this.