close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Primer question (safety-ish)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BobbyT, Jan 15, 2010.

1. BobbyT

BobbyT

So I'm aware it takes more than just a tap to set off a primer and fire a round, but I don't have a very good feel for how much impact it takes.

I was fiddling with an old mag for a commie pistol. It didn't want to accept the last round, and when I got it in it didn't want to budge with finger pressure. I grabbed a small screwdriver I had nearby to use the end to strip the round off, realized what I was doing, and stopped myself.

It is a feasible scenario that shoving the rear of the case with something hard would set the round off? Or is this a non-issue?

Also, I know the AR's firing pin moves freely, and will tap the primer when you let the bolt carrier forward. Is there any realistic scenario where it would hit hard enough to fire? Would just smacking the rifle barrel-down on a concrete floor do it? Dropping it barrel-down from 5 feet in the air? Etc...

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

It depends.
    Since 1961 I have reloaded hundreds of thousands of rounds. A good number of times the primer has turned sideways, upside-down, etc, and been crushed.
    Other times a piece of foreign junk got between the back of the primer and primer seater and dented the primer. No problem.
    It takes a sharp hit, like from a firing pin to fire the primer.
    BUT never say never, so it is a bad idea to do anything that could cause the primer to be struck or dented.

The short answer is No.
    BUT, again never say never.
    Years ago it seemed like Winchester made their small rifle primers too soft. I had a Daewoo rifle, that has a floating firing pin like the AR, if I used Winchester primers the rifle would fire (double) just from the firing pin moving (quickly) forward.

3. farmer2

farmer2

It is very difficult to set a primer off, even when your trying (crazy kids stuff). Primers can and have gone off when they weren't supposed to but it is very unlikely. Shoving a a round in with something is not going to set a primer. However, a strike on a hard surface has led to a few AD's over time.

farmer2

4. JACeglarek

JACeglarek

I agree with the previous posters, FWIW.

5. BobbyT

BobbyT

Ok thanks for the info guys.