Primer pockets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Collo Rosso, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

Ran out of 223 cases I'd swaged with a RCBS kit and Redding T-7. Don't have the Redding anymore. Went to put the RCBS kit on my old trusty Lyman spartan press... and it don't fit! There's a cast boss at the top of the "C" that won't let the swage head come up to the die. Also, the cup that pops the case off tilts as the frame by the ram isn't perpendicular to it. Great!
    Decision time. Buy a purpose made swager? Frankford arsenal is on sale for $80 and gets good reviews. The RCBS bench mount is out of stock everywhere. The Dillon is $116 plus their high shipping costs.
    Or.. buy a single stage press and use the RCBS kit?

2. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

I would take a look at the Lee APP press.

ThomasM4 and Collo Rosso like this.

3. sourdough44

sourdough44

I still use a hand tool from Hornady, for the crimped primer pockets. I have looked at a dedicated swager, never pulled the trigger. Unless I’m loading prairie dogging ammo, usual don’t exceed a few hundred. Many of my cases are commercial, no crimp to remove.

The other issue is, once complete, you’re done for the life of that case, normally.

My system isn’t always the fastest, but I get by.

4. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

Like a lot of things that are relevant in reloading, Is how many you need to do, how much effort and time do you want to put into it to get the end result?

George Kaplan, jmorris and fredj338 like this.
  5. fredj338

fredj338

I have the rcbs & it works fine. If you want a dillon get it from grafs, $10 shipping. Anymore though, I would rather ream the pockets than swage. Chucked in a drill press or hand drill, makes pretty quick work of crimped primers.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-3907...5E5NRNHJC8Z&psc=1&refRID=SANP3HZRE5E5NRNHJC8Z

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    835mag and nerr like this.
  6. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

Exactly. Got the Dillon, was given the RCBS. Rarely use them because mostly load in small batches. Dad's ancient CH swage tool and a mallet does the job just fine.

7. nerr

nerr

Reaming for me. With the little amount of decrimping I need to do it's just easier to use a hand drill than doing with swager. I found the RCBS press-mounted swager inconsistent with mixed brass. Using it shook my reloading bench into the next room (maybe keeping more oil on the mandrel would have helped some).

fredj338 likes this.
  8. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I looked into that and the swage kits seem to be on perpetual back order.
    I didn't think about a reamer. After some research I ordered a RCBS trim mate military crimp remover. $19 and here tomorrow from amazon. Appeals to the cheap SOB in me. If it doesn't work the way I want, I guess I'll look into a swage tool.

9. sig357fan

sig357fan

10. oldengineer

oldengineer

If you want an inexpensive solution try this one. I use it on 5.56 brass with crimped primers and it works well. It's fat enough to get a decent grip and is angled so that with a 2 or 3 twists the pocket is cleaned and swaged perfectly.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012810383

Edit. It looks just like the Hornaday device above.

11. fredj338

fredj338

Hose are both case mouth chamfer tools & work, but a dedicated primer pocket reamer is less guess work. Chamfer tools can over ream the pocket.

George Kaplan likes this.