close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Primer Pickup Tubes

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by buyobuyo, Mar 4, 2010.

1. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

I have a LNL and want to pickup a few more primer pickup tubes. Do I have to use Hornady tubes or will rcbs/lyman/dillon tubes work too. Since they're sized for a standard sizes item, I imagine that anyone will work. I just want to make sure.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm pretty sure Dillons' do not work(remember reading that somewhere)... if you look at the tubes, the ends on the Dillon and Hornady are different. Not sure about the RCBS and Lyman.

Midway has the Hornady ones for $9 a piece. That's only about $2 more than the Dillon's, and you know they'll work.

IGF

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Dillon are nicely color coded. I can't imagine why they would not work. Isn't the Horndy LnL just a little funnel on the top of the tube, pull the pins, let the primers fall in. That type of thing.

4. Cheech

Cheech

Primer Pick Up tubes are manufacturer specific. I have an older Hornady LNL-AP (20 years old) and the newer LNL tubes won't even fit. That's after speaking to someone at Hornady. Not only that, but they don't even have any more of the older ones nor are they making them. If, Heaven Forbid, I broke one of my tubes, I'd have to prime my brass before running them on the LNL. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a progressive press. Hornady did tell me they can upgrade my existing press for about $350.00. I may have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST NIGHT!!!!

5. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

He is talking about the PICKUP TUBES Not the magazine tube that is mounted on the press.
    So yes the pickup tubes from Dillon or other companys well work.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

There's apparently a difference in Diameter of the tubes, but I don't remember if the Hornady is wider or smaller.

IGF

7. fredj338

fredj338

The Dillon tubes will work for the LNL.

8. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

YIPPIE, YIPPIE, WAHOO, BACKFLIP, BACKFLIP, CARTWHEEL. DO A LITTLE JACKIE-BOB DANCE... MAKE A LITTLE LOVE!!!

Finally caught Indy on something... if I had a beer and a cigar I could die a happy man.

There's only two things different between the Hornady tubes and the Dillon tubes; Dillon ends are colored for large and small, Hornady are both white ends and the Hornady tubes are a couple inches longer, (hold more primers). Other than that they are identical and either one will work with either machine.

Unfortunately, Indy is right, if you have to buy some you might as well get the right ones. (Boy, that takes some of the color off the bloom.)

Jack

RATS... C4W and Fred beat me to it... aren't you guys supposed to be working or something?

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I wasn't writing it as gospel.. :) Just saying what I read. I was actually gonna suggest he ask you, knowing you had both. I think when I actually found it though, it wasn't so much to do w/ filling the primer assemblies, but to do w/ the RF100 primer filler. I think it was on the Brian Enos forum... I'll have to go search now.. :)

IGF

10. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

I use Dillon primer pick-up tubes for operating my Hornady LnL. Work better than the Hornady tubes, IMHO.

11. jing1117

jing1117

The Dillon pick up tubes will work with the Hornady. I actually prefer them over the Hornady one's since the primers go in there with ease.

12. tango44

tango44

My Dillon tubes works fine with all primers different brands.
    I only have small and large pistol.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:rofl:

I think you missed the point of the discussion. :)

14. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

Thanks for the replies everyone. I figured they should but just wanted to make sure. The guy that taught me reloading has a number of RCBS tubes, so I'll see about borrowing one to see if they work too. Just so we know for future reference.

15. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

How dare you.. Dont even think about getting that Blue stuff near your Red stuff. :tongueout:

Order the Hornady LNL tubes from Midway. They always screw up the order and they let you keep the extra tubes. Thanks Midway!:wavey:

This is the result of trying to order 4 more Large Pistol primer tubes.

They messed up the order 3 times and got it right on the fourth!:rofl:

I ended up with this:
    Green are small & Red are large.
    [​IMG]

16. tango44

tango44

???? :whistling:

17. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

You made a rack for your primer tubes... FINALLY, someone with less of a life than me. :supergrin:

Jack

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Buy the Dillon from Dillon directly and you get a FREE Blue Press every month.

19. Cheech

Cheech

I WAS talking about the PICK UP TUBES!!!!!! Call Hornady, the older ones and newer ones ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE!!!!! If Hornady's own PICK UP TUBES are not interchangable between the older and the newer, what would make you think a PICK UP TUBE from a different manufacturer would be? No one in their right mind would design a press that would accept a competitors parts. That would be stupid, wouldn't it? So again, if you need primer PICK UP TUBES, go to the manufacturer of your particular press.

20. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Might be stupid but the tubes are identical except for the color of the plastic tip and the length... neither of which keep them from being interchangeable.

Why would both Dillon and Hornady produce presses that allow you to use dies from a different manufacture? (With exception of the SDB, of course.)

Jack

And please don't yell at unclebob... he's old and brittle.