close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Primer KB on 1050

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by EL_NinO619, Mar 5, 2014.

1. fredj338

fredj338

Glad no one was hurt. The single biggest negative of machines like the 650 & 1050, it leads one to becoming a handle puller, not paying attention to what they are doing. I can feel every offending sp case in my 650 during priming, just don't force everything. I might lose 50rds per hour that way, but who cares?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

That is the problem with the the 1050 and load master. both seat the primers on the upstroke where you can't really fell what is go on. like you can when seating primers on the 550 and 650 that seat the primers on the down stroke.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

3. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Ya I think it was a combination of a SPP .45 and his lack of experience on the 1050 and just being a handle puller. It is very easy to become complacent on the 1050, esp with all the alarms and ease of use. Usually why I only operate it. I am a safety freak so to say. I usually only get about 900 rounds a hour on the 1050, I verify each case, check powder every 100 rounds, COAL and crimp etc. And clean it every 500 or so. I have always felt the "spongey" swaging with SPP .45. Apparently he did not.

He has only loaded .223 on the 1050 which I prep off press, so the sizing of the .45 might have thrown him off on force needed.

4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I have to agree Fred but another thing is machine maintenance. I’m personally a stickler for regular cleaning and lubing. It’s amazing how much difference there is in the way it feels as opposed to a not doing so and getting complacent with it.
    I had a buddy come over and load on my 650 that has one himself. He noticed right away. I asked him when he last lubed his grease zerks…. NEVER, oiled the ram… MAYBE 4-6 months.
    I would venture to say El Nino's buddy didn't take head of his warning to cease pulling the handle cause he wasn't used to it and aware enough to know something was truly wrong.

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Exactly. I have tried to teach people how to use my machine. Unless they are a reloader on another machine they quickly morf into a handle puller. You can try and coach them otherwise but they won't listen from my experience. After a while they get complacent and mistakes happen.

AND

You have a LnL. This was bound to happen from a Karma perspective. If Zombie had been loading you would have bin prying pieces of the priming system from the ceiling drywall.

6. EL_NinO619

Karma huh C4W? God I missed you :supergrin: I talked to him today and he said he recalled it binding and try to wiggle the handle and probably pulled down more than he wanted. Oh well live and learn, as long as no one got hurt.

Dillon had all parts on doorstep this afternoon. I am selling my 2nd LnL ammo plant and buying a 650.... :dunno:

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Any particular reason why?

Glad nobody was hurt in this... Who was it that posted a pic of a primer assembly detonation, and the follower/indicator rod was actually stuck in the ceiling. I seem to remember this, but can't remember who posted it (C4W seems to suggest it was Zombie... so maybe that was it).

IGF

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  8. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I remember that pic. I don't remember who had that one.

Jack had a blowed up tube mounted on the wall with the date and something along the lines of "the day I almost blew myself up" written on it. Wish I still had that picture.

And no, I never done blowed up a press.

The only time I ever had a primer go off when I wasn't expecting it was when I was sorting wheel weights on the garage floor. I was grabbing handfuls and throwing them in the pot. Well, I must have had a live primer lying on the floor because I turned back around to get more weights off the ground and BANG!!! Scared the hell out of me. Kept checking myself for lead splatter. Luckily, it must have been sitting on the surface of the melted lead. Hardly any splatter at all. I sweep the floor a little more often these days.

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

HA HA, you are making the final move to the DARK (Blue) side of the force…

:supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  10. EL_NinO619

I don't want any more of C4W's voodoo or Karma. LOL!!
    Main reason, casefeeder and why have 2 when I can go blue. I do not use the bulletfeeder, so let someone else have it. I really want to make the 650 large primer, 1050 small primer, and LnL processing and oddball cals or batches.

11. fredj338

fredj338

So when you coming up to shoot all that ammo? Matches every 1st & 3rd Sat. bring Chris?

12. High Altitude

High Altitude

Wow, happy to hear you weren't hurt.

At least your powder measure didn't catch on fire like this guy.

LnL press

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188975

Reading all these accounts of primer kabooms is making me second guess reloading inside my house. I am thinking about setting up a small bench in my office. Is reloading inside your house OK to do?

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The reality is, primer kabooms are fairly rare. Do they happen? Of course. However, they are rare enough that short of doing something simple like wearing eye protection, I'm not changing anything about my loading habits. I've been loading about 7yrs (granted, I went through about a 18mo hiatus).. and I've yet to have a primer kaboom.

14. EL_NinO619

Man I really need to make it out there. Not counting on Chris, he had another baby and feel of the radar. I've been working Saturdays at a local shop (fun job) but I will take one of these 1st&3rd's off and contact you. I don't believe I have your # PM me it. I looked the other day to contact you about 800x. I couldn't get it to meter in my LnL, trying to work up a real 10mm load.

15. fredj338

fredj338

800X doesn't meter in ANY measure worth a crap. I bought a 1#, hated it, accuracy wasn't better than my LS loads & you might squeeze 40fps more vel out of 800X than LS.:dunno:

16. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Agree. There is no reason that I can think of to use 800-X over LS... unless that is what you can find in today's market. Of the 6 or so powders that I've loaded into 10mm, 800-X is my least favorite. Some guys like it for charging ammo about 2 grains above max. Not my thing.

Down to one last pound of 800-X, then no more. Hand weighing and trickling pistol powder is not my idea of a good time.

Whoops... a bit off topic.

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Still at least I got El Nino to do a good thing. I can feel good about the week.

18. EL_NinO619

I knew it was you who snuck those SPP .45 in. :steamed::rofl:

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

While you are busy doing the right thing...You need to change the Color in your Sig that says "And a Super 1050" to Dark Blue. It looks kinda like a sissy baby blue right now.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014