close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Prime Rib

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by jetrecbn1, Dec 31, 2005.

1. jetrecbn1

jetrecbn1

It is still grating on me. I messed up my first prime rib on Christmas. I love medium rare and it turned out done. How do you cook prime rib?

2. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Bring any size rib roast to room temp. Place on a shallow pan and bake for one hour at 375 degrees. Turn off oven. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR! Let stand at least 2 hours in oven. Longer won't hurt but not more than 4 hours. Roast additional 35 mins at 375 for rare, and 45 mins for medium and 50 mins for well. Let rest for a few mins, and a thermometer would be awesome. 145 degrees internal temp is for rare.

Hope this helps!

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

The Prime Rib was GREAT
    When you get it home unwrap it take out that pad the store puts in.

Fold a couple of paper towels and put in the tray the the meat came in or a dish.

Cover with(loosely)with waxed paper, place in the refrigerator for three days. You want it to dry out some.

Change the paper towels each day.

Heat your oven to 250 degrees.

Put the roast in a glass baking dish.

oil with canola salt all over with kosher salt and then with fresh ground pepper.

Insert one of those thermometers that lets you read the temp from out side the oven.

I used a pot large enough to cover the roast.

Set the dish on a baking (pizza) stone and cover with the pot.

Turn the oven down to 200 degrees.

I like mine medium so I set the thermometer for 145 degrees.

When the alarm goes off. Turn the oven to 500 degrees and when it gets there, give the roast ten minutes.

Remove from the oven, cover the roast with foil for ten minutes to "rest".

Slice into nice thick steaks and serve with what ever you like.

If you have someone that likes it done more, put theirs under the broiler til it is the way they like it.

If you like it rare set the thermometer for 125 to 130.

Correctional and Therapeutic Mayhem Administrator EMERITUS~et ~et ~et ~et ~et

4. cmzneb

cmzneb

Cook LOW and SLOW... 250 degrees. Pull the meat out of the oven when it reaches an internal temperature of 120 - 125 degrees. Allow to rest for about a half hour at room temp and then slice away.

5. JPinAZ

JPinAZ

Once it gets to 120, pull it & cover with foil, then crank the oven up to 500 & put it back in for about 10 minutes for a nice crust. By the time your oven reaches 500 & it's been in for 10 minutes, the roast temp should be around 130-135.

Oops, I just saw lethal tuppawa (SP?) posted the same thing. The recipe is Alton Brown's.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17372,00.html

6. TheEgg

TheEgg

Gotta have a good thermometer. Go by temperature, not time.

Temperature will increase 5 - 10 degrees while resting, so take that into account -- roast until 5 to 10 degrees BELOW your target.

I prefer to sear the meat with a high temp at the beginning of the cook time for 20 minutes, not at the end. Seems to make for a juicier roast to me.

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I covered it and watched the thermometer for the "carry over" heat rise--it did not happen the temp went down.

8. TheEgg

TheEgg

Hmm -- always works for me. What kind of hardware are you using?

I have always found that if I cook to, say, medium, then let rest, I wind up with almost well done. If I cook to medium rare, then let rest, I get a perfect medium.

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

was one of the battery type with a cable and probe.

Like the one Alton uses on his shows.

I was surprised to see the temp drop instead of increase.

that's why I changed my recipe.

10. TheEgg

TheEgg

I have the same type of gadget.

Next time I cook a roast, I will try your test and see what happens. I have never done that before, may be interesting!

11. dubltap

dubltap

I pan sear it first then cook it at 250F in a Nesco roaster. I use a digital remote thermo and when it reaches 130F(med rare) I take it out of the roaster and cover it with tin foil for 15 min. You won't get much heat carry over if you cook at 250F so don't expect the temp to rise while it rests. Comes out moist and perfect everytime.;)