close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Priceless

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by DTD2, Jul 13, 2006.

1. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

ENGINE COMPANY: $250,000
    WORKING HOUSE FIRE: $100,000
    LEVI BLUE JEANS: $30.00
    GIT-R-DONE BALL CAP: $15.00
    WHITE T-SHIRT: $10.00

[​IMG]

EFFORTS BY THE IAFC, IAFF, NFFF, NVFC & ALL THE OTHERS TO SAVE THIS FIREFIGHTERS LIFE, WITHOUT HIM EVEN KNOWING IT?

PRICELESS.

FireFighterCloseCalls.com...We're Everywhere You Need Us To Be.

Too true
    Dennis

2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

OMG! damn idiot. Im so glad I work at a professional dept.

3. faceplant

faceplant

How do you know he is in danger from this photo?

4. BroBrandonB

BroBrandonB In God We Trust

come on, guys... you don't know what those jeans and sweatshirt are fire-rated to! :supergrin:

I'll bet he's a line officer!

5. ShotGlass

ShotGlass

I'll bet he is a Volunteer!

6. Fireman1291

waoh there bud. The fire service was started by volunteers. I know some are not the brightest and that includes carrer, but where I am you have to be at least FF1 certified to ride the truck anyway. I hate when people bang vollies.

Faceplant- Ill forget you asked that question.

7. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Yes, let's be carefull about bashing volunteers. I'd be willing to bet that most of the contributers to this forum are volunteers, including myself with nearly 25 years of service. Last I heard throughout the country the fire service was still approximately 80% volunteer.

Now, in regard to the picture, what the blazes is the guy trying to accomplish? The building is obviously beyond saving, and he is obviously not dressed to be in that proximaty to it. Due to the cropping of the picture I can't tell if there are any exposures to protect, but that's not the way to go about it anyway. I suppose it is possible that they guy is a civilian that figured the firefighters weren't doing the job well enough and grabbed a hose.

8. April

April Lifetime Member

I don't come in here much.. They keep my pinned in pretty well in the OAF.

But please allow me to say that "Professional" and "Paid" are NOT the same thing. I've seen some extremely "professional" departments that didn't pay its firefighters a cent; I've also seen some very unprofessional actions and attitudes from "paid" firefighters.

9. BroBrandonB

BroBrandonB In God We Trust

I'm proud to be a volunteer. Our company is well respected. :flag:

10. Fireman1291

I didn't say they were the same thing, as I'm a fully certified (FF1, FF2, EMT-B) volunteer fire fighter. I dont get paid a cent, however I volunteer at a dept that is run by the county so I ride and train on carrer engines. I ride(pull shifts) over 190 hours a month and train every tuesday night from 6-10pm. We are very professional and you wouldn't even know we are vollies as the uniform and everything is the same. But to see a picture like that is unacceptable. The danger he is facing is insane, like....cyanide gas from the smoke, Co poisoning, wall collapse, burns, etc.

Edited to add, Im currently putting in applications to all my local carrer depts to get hired, however i wont leave my family of 3 years behind, ill still vollie just not as much.

11. faceplant

faceplant

Lets see. He has no PPE on yet he is not on fire. He is not retreating so he appears not to be too hot. It appears he could use a bigger line but that may be all he has and he may be protecting an exposure. It seems the place is fully involved so I assume he will not go in. My point is you can not tell from a this photo how much danger he is actually in.

12. 40Niner

40Niner

He executed an interior attack just after the photo was taken.:upeyes:

13. Fireman1291

Wow, where do you guys work? You should never be on a fire scene without FULL PPE. Not only does that look horribly unprofessional, he is breathing in CO, CO2, cyanide, phosgene, to name a few. Hes no good to anyone without gear on.

dangers-
    power line above him
    roof collapse( if that wall buckles it would fall towards him)
    smoke
    radiant heat burns
    etc

Just stupid and ignorant

14. faceplant

faceplant

Ok, where was this fire? Who were the responding departments? What was happening on the entire fire ground? And who was the "fire fighter"?

15. Tvov

Tvov

You are going to give people headaches thinking logically like this. It's much easier for people to just say "he's a stupid vollie".

If it is a rural area, and just going by a hypothetical situation, you don't see the guys (and gals) behind him setting up the monitors while he wets down the area. You don't see the guys behind him putting on their gear who are about to relieve him so that he, also, can put on his gear. Which is probably in the back of his personal vehicle. You don't see the crews from the tankers setting up port-a-tanks and LDH being dragged out for the water shuttle (if you have never used port-a-tanks or LDH, or worse, don't know what they are, nevermind). You don't hear the pagers going off in all the surrounding towns, setting in motion mutual aid. Nope, just a stupid vollie.

But of course, then again, there is no way he is an off duty paid guy just trying to help out.

Honestly, do some of you people just stand there (miles away for safety) and do nothing if you don't have everything set up perfectly? Have any of you EVER been to a scene where everything was done "correctly" and "by the book"? And doing it "by the book" were you actually able to put the fire out?

I have NEVER been to, seen, heard of, or read about an incident where everything was done "correctly".