close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Price variance for Canon XTi????

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MD Mountain Man, Oct 18, 2006.

1. MD Mountain Man

MD Mountain Man 2A Supporter

My wife wants a digital camera and has a canon now with lots of lenses. I decided that the XTi was the best bet for her right now. I see that prices from online retailers range from $515 plus $20 shipping to $799. I am looking for "Body Only". Obviously that would still include a battery and charger and some basic software etc. How much should I be willing to pay to get this camera from a reputable company? I would rather spend a little extra and work with a company that has good ratings but $799 seems like a big jump from $550. Any help would be appreciated.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I would not be willing to buy a camera online from a company less reputable than B&H. Here is the link. Yep, it's $799.

Alternatively, you can get the 350. It's $633.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

How old is her Canon? Is it EF mount? Does she realize the XT and XTi both have a 1.6 crop? Her lenses that she has now will not be the equivelent focal legnths.

Actually, when I bought my XT, it was $60 cheaper to get it from Amazon.com (not one of their sellers) than from anybody else reputable at the time. Might want to check there too.

I have bought from B&H before and I will do so again. I have quite the "wish list" from there :supergrin:

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Actually, from reading dpreview, besides the anti-dust shake, I didn't really see anything in the 400 (XTi) that the 350 (XT) wouldn't match, at least of the things I am interested in. Neither has a particularly bright viewfinder or a real MLU (mirror lock up). Both have outstanding image quality.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Ditto. The main difference is 2 MP.

6. thertel

thertel

I just got one to replace my XT and am already looking to get rid of it. It was not that much cooler.

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Correct, but from my examination of the dpreview, it seemed the 2MP didn't make any practical difference. Considering the already excellent image quality from the 350 (XT), that is not a bad news (I was worried the extra MP could introduce unwelcomed noise).

8. MD Mountain Man

The 9 point auto focus and the easier user interface seem like upgrades to me. Her Canon 35mm is an EOS rebel that is only a few years old. I was told that her lenses would work but they are different focal lengths with the DSLR (multiply by 1.6 I think).
    I ran a search about one of the places that sells the camera for cheap. Evidently they are trying to list the camera for $530 and then sell you all the stuff that comes with it like the battery and the charger etc. for extra (which I believe Canon wouldn't be to happy about). They all come out to be between $760 and $799.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

The only way I would have even thought about upgrading is if they offered ISO 3200 (which I wouldn't unless I was making major bucks with this hobby). Otherwise, my XT does everything I ask of it plus more.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Her lenses will work and you are right about the crop factor.

I don't know about the user interface as I have not played with an XTi but I haven't had a single problem with the interface on the XT.

The 9 point AF isn't a point that interests me as I would rarely use it.

Be careful ordering from anybody who isn't VERY reputable. Lots of places will hook you with the low price then suddenly you will learn the item you wanted is out of stock if you skip buying all the "accessories" which should have been included. Stick with somebody like B&H and you won't have any problems.

11. MD Mountain Man

My wife has more limited use of her right hand which makes manual focus very difficult. She actually has to support the camera with her left hand and depress the button with her right. I wish they made these things for lefties.
    By the way Macmall.com seems to have the best price as a reputable entity from what I can see. Macmall.com

12. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It shows $799 when I click on the link.

13. MD Mountain Man

If you put it in your shopping cart there is an "instant savings" of $60

14. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Ah!

Has your wife ever tired one of the straps that securely holds the camera to you right hand? I can't remember what they are called, but it is in a pretty tight. Very similiar to some camcorder type grips.

15. MD Mountain Man

I didn't know they made that for regular cameras. I will look and see if that might be of use to her. Thank you. If you have a link that would be great.

16. fellow14

fellow14 The Member

I only use single point(center) auto focus on my XT. I had problems with the camera focusing on the wrong things. Center point focus has made a ton of difference.

That said, every review I have read has basically said the 8mp sensor is better than the 10mp sensor. Something about too many MP for the sensor size, I don't really remember. Additionally, most users that switched from the XT were not satisifed in with the "gains" for the money, over the XT. Right now the market is loaded with used XTs so you might be able to get one for a song and a dance if you look carefully.

17. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I will poke around later tonight when I get home and see if I can find the link where I saw them mentioned on POTN. If not, I will start a thread there and see if anybody remembers them. :)

18. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member