close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Price of Gas hog vs new car.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, May 28, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Ok fellas. I am looking at a new car because I want to save money overall. But here is the dilemma: I have a number of cars and none really give great mileage and I don't think many people really get great mileage but here it goes with some figuring.

Pickup is paid for get 14 miles to a gallon. 25000 miles a year at 14 equals 1786 gallons of fuel at 3.65 is 6519 a year in costs plus repairs.

A new Focus let's say for example gets an average of 30 miles per gallon and would give 834 gallons of fuel at 3.65 and would cost 3044 dollars.

So you would save roughly over three thousand dollars if those numbers work except for the car payment of the new car. Now if the car is not paid off the payment at 18k financed would be another 300 a month or an additional 3600 a year.

So am I wrong or is it the same driving a paid off gas hog verses a financed new car with those numbers?

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

Even if you aren't financing the purchase, you still need to factor in the purchase price of the Focus...especially if the only (or major) reason you're buying it is better gas mileage. From your figures, normal operating costs of the pickup are about $3,500 more per year than the Focus. $18k/$3500 means you'd need to drive the Focus for a little over five years before the numbers work out for you (less if you are expecting repairs on the truck...). Another way to look at it...will the pickup die within five years?

Last edited: May 28, 2012

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

If they are both paid off the car is better financially. But since I drive a lot the cost of the fuel does add up. I may trade a car and get a Focus just to save some money but it is almost a wash unless the payment is real low. I had that Ford Aerostar that ran over 700k miles on the engine but in the part few years it nickled me to death. :faint:I like the truck for safety but that fuel bill is really high. :shocked:

4. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

dont you have a grand national also ?? or corvette or both ??

5. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Both. I don't drive them much but I still have them. When my mom died I got two extra cars so I was up to seven at one time. I then sold an old Camaro because of rust and the Aerostar went because the shop messed it up. You guys were right..I should have made them fix it for free because vans are practical.

I rotate cars now to try and spread miles around. I am thinking about painting the Buick in a special color just for the heck of it. But I am still thinking of an economical car for a daily driver.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

Buying a new car will not "save you money overall" if your cars are currently paid off and run well.

Trust me. I used to be a car salesman, and I could spin the numbers a dozen different ways to convince you that you'd "save money" buying a new car. You won't.

7. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Back in the late '70s, early '80s, I was driving a '78 Chevy Blazer (K5).
    Full-time 4-wheel drive.

Payments were $186.00 per month.
    Due to the fact that my 1st wife and I were going to either Mt. Jackson, VA - or to Westminster, MD, EVERY weekend, we were paying in excess of $265.00 per month in gasoline, for that vehicle, only.

I was going broke, fueling up that Blazer!!

So, I traded for an '81 Toyota Corolla. Even though my payment went to $205.00 per month, my gasoline bill went to less than $100.00 per month!!!

It was like I had hit the Lottery!!!
    I banked those savings.

8. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

I had a 2003 quad cab 4X4 truck that got about 11-12 mpg overall.
    I traded the truck + $14,000 (total) for a new 2010 4x4 Jeep that gets 18-19 mpg overall.
    If gas is about 3.60 a gallon I will get my $14,000 back by around 140,000 miles.

9. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I know where you are coming from. The problem is that cars are not cheap anymore at all. While most of my cars eat a fair amount of fuel I can't justify a new car unless I can actually save money. If the new car like a Corolla can be bought and have around a two hundred a month payment it would save me money on fuel. But if I have over a three hundred a month payment it is not a savings. I have always had car payments and for the last two years no payment and I do like that. But fuel bills and repairs on the other cars has been pretty high. But I am giving serious consideration to a new small car even though I think the Dc beltway is unsafe in a little car.

10. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Mileage sure adds up. Before they added ethanol to fuel the 1500 Dodge got around 15-16 like clockwork. After they added ethanol it gets 12.9 average to 14.3 if I am lucky. I think every five miles to a gallon makes a difference. I drive an average of 100 miles a day so I am considering cars now and the calculator is used a lot. So far the numbers don't work for me but I guess they may work one time just because of cost.

11. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

So far that is what I have found. I have chatted with a few salesmen who tell me I will save money and then I ask them what if I don't drive at all. :rofl:They can't win that one either. That payment has to be made each month.

12. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

You might want to factor in the tags and insurance.

13. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

I hear ya, loud and clear.

I've got several vehicles sitting in the driveway.
    With the exception of the '11 Camry, they're all paid for. . . a LONG time ago.
    (The only reason we got the Camry, is our commuter car - the Scion xB, got totaled in that hailstorm, almost 2 years ago.)

The '93 Lexus es300 runs really well, for a car that's 19 years old. However, I'm having a hard time deciding IF I want to spend anything else on it, to fix the A/C.
    (That's going to be around $1k to fix/convert to to R134A.)

The '00 Ranger runs like a new one, but, the paint looks like crap.
    My youngest son has his learner's permit, and he wants to drive the truck, 'til he buys his own car. That truck will serve him, well. :)

The '01 Chrysler T&C, I just had put in a transmission control module (TCM). That was $1,300, when they found the sway bar bushings were dry-rotted.

Never a dull moment around here.

14. scccdoc

scccdoc

Just replaced an alternator on my 2002 4WD Yukon.170 K and runs well. Pride would have me buy a new one but insurance costs are not factored in on your estimates.Plus, it's kinda fun seeing how far it will go! Anyone want to buy a '81 Corvette? DOC

15. FTjoe

FTjoe

would the replacement car need to be new? if not, what about slightly used honda civic, fit or toyota prius or even the focus as you mentioned. lots of savings on a used car and will allow you to either keep the pickup (everyone needs a pickup truck) or sell it privately.

i was also going to suggest leasing a vehicle, but if you drive alot, then you'll get hit with mileage charges when you turn in the vehicle.

16. jp3975

jp3975

Sell a few to make the purchase.

If you want fuel economy, forget about the focus. Get a Prius or Civic hybrid. Both get over 40mpg.

17. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

That is the option I have been considering, excluding the Prius (due to the battery life issue). My truck has about 182,000 miles but I think I have a problem. I'm losing coolant and can't figure out where it is going. The last check of the oil doesn't make me think it is going there but it could be leaking from the head gasket at the back of the engine (which I can't see on this truck). I'm gonna drive it a while and see what happens and if I can detect anything.

The last car I bought for the wife as a lease turn-in (Honda Accord). I'd definitely go that route again.

18. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

Not really.

You'll save more if you buy diesel cars.

19. Toyman

Toyman

I depends, you have to figure the following costs between the vehicles:

+ Vehicle cost difference - financed or paid off?
    + Mileage difference
    + Insurance
    + Maintenance
    + Registration
    + Usage - If you are dumping a truck for a commuter car, but will still occasionally use the truck for tasks, what's the mileage offset for that?

Also, you must factor in how long it might take to make back your money if one is paid off and one isn't. Also, what if fuel ends up going down some, what then?

I'm with DevilDog: "Buying a new car will not "save you money overall" if your cars are currently paid off and run well."

20. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

If the GN is in original condition, you'd be foolish to do anything with it other than park it and only drive it enough to keep the cobwebs off it. Those things still command a pretty good sum for what they are.

Greg