Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hmm, I may need a new AR. I like my S&W MP but 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

·
No Longer Fenced In
11,133 Posts
I wish I had the cash!

·
No Infidels!
8,794 Posts
I see they have the 6940P in stock, too...$1773.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What kind of steel is the S&W's bolt carrier group made of? Does it have the full M-16 BCG? What kinds of feed ramp cuts does it have? Does it have a heavy buffer? Is the twist rate compatible with the bullet weight you use?

The answers to these questions, and whether the answers weigh against your needs, should clear everything up.

·
Way too busy
5,053 Posts
What kind of steel is the S&W's bolt carrier group made of? Does it have the full M-16 BCG? What kinds of feed ramp cuts does it have? Does it have a heavy buffer? Is the twist rate compatible with the bullet weight you use?

The answers to these questions, and whether the answers weigh against your needs, should clear everything up.
I had an M&P15 for awhile

1. Full Auto BCG
2. Properly Staked
3. Proper feed ramp cuts
4. Heavy buffer
5. Your argument of twist rate implies you have more of a choice of twist rate with the colt than you do with the M&P, is that correct? I don't remember if I had 1:7 or 1:9, but I purchased bullets to match that, although I believe most would agree that a 50 yard patrol rifle doesn't require the meticulous twist rate to bullet weight matching that one would typically see in a long range precision rifle.

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the Smiths have a 1:9 twist IIRC. I also recall Bud's last of LE priced Optics Ready M&P 15s selling for about $750. Are they a better value than the 6940? For me, I think they are. For others, the 6940 is obviously preferred.

I posted this to illustrate the price reduction, and also the availability, of the 6940.

·
Registered
32,892 Posts
Some Smiths have 1/8 and a few have 1/7. There is a nice upper I want to get for my lower from Smith but it is out of stock per Smith's website. Panic may be subsiding but still not gone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
No Infidels!
8,794 Posts
I see no reason why that's worth $450 more than the smith and wesson..
Let's go Apples to Apples here...does the Smith you're referring to include an integrated monolithic rail system? If you're referring to the $880 S&W they sell, a better comparison would be the $1099 6920. Is it worth $200 more? I think so. Is the 6940 worth $200 more than the M&P15T? Probably.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts