Price Gouging in HI Hurricane!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HalfHazzard, Aug 24, 2018.

1. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

2. PBCounty

PBCounty

I appreciate "price gougers" myself. Thanks to them, you can still get stuff in a disaster area.

medic2258, kiole, railfancwb and 7 others like this.

3. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Free markets are free markets. A private business should be able to charge whatever they want for goods and services. However, I would personally never do business with them again, even after things get back to normal.

cbetts1, nursetim, JLA and 7 others like this.
  4. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Prices in Hawaii are high enough. This practice goes on everywhere when it turns south, and the laws against this are not strong enough.

Having said that, the old Econ-101 supply and demand rears its ugly head in the economic world.

Slotback, janice6 and DonD like this.
  5. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Normally I would support bans on price gouging in the face of an imminent natural disaster such as this, but in the case of the Hawaiian islands one has to wonder if there are even enough supplies available for every resident to have a two weeks worth of food, fuel, water, batteries, prescription meds, and other essentials. Seems like the population would simply exhaust the supply before everyone was fully stocked (even without hording behavior).

janice6 likes this.
  6. Z71bill

Z71bill

The only question you need to answer -

Would you rather have none to buy because it is completely sold out - or have the price be X times higher than "normal"?

7. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

This is basic economics 101. Like seriously doesn't get any simpler. Additionally I'd add that the cost to run the stores likely has gone up during the emergency. Paying overtime to employees, possibly supplying electric to the store with a generator, and it's significantly more difficult to restock the shelves. The business also has potential storm damage and insurance deductibles that will have to be addressed/paid. Hawaii is definitely one the top nanny states in the country, but damn if these people can't figure out a little preparation is a good thing, $hame on them.

8. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

I know a guy that will buy every generator he can find in Oklahoma when a bad storm hits the coast. He makes a butt load of money down there.
    He also takes the risk and invest a ton of money, before he goes, drives all night and then works 24 hours a day down there selling the generators and helping people hook them up and have some power. I know he said he was up for about 3 days once, slept a couple of hours and drove all the way back to Oklahoma to get another load he had bought.
    I see a difference. He is down there supplying a need and working his but off.

I remember when 9/11 happened and all of the fuel stations raised the gas prices from about $1.85 to $7.95 a gallon, just to take advantage of people. Several gas stations that did not take part called them out and told people that our gas prices were not effected at all.
    The stations that raised prices said "sorry" but kept the money.
    It did not effect me. As soon as I seen the jet hit the tower, I told my wife to go fill all the vehicles. I knew that prices were going up.

PBCounty likes this.
  9. Z71bill

Z71bill

I saw a guy parked in a church parking lot right next to a busy street.

A hurricane was headed our way - weather was already sort of crappy.

He was selling 5 gallon gas cans - full of gas - for $40.

IIRC back then you could buy a gas can for $10 and gas was under $2 a gallon - so the guy had way less than $20 invested.

He had a whole trailer full of them (I will guess at least 50 cans) when I first drove past - and zero customers.

I get to the corner and I see the gas stations have yellow bags over the pump nozzles - they are out of gas.

On the way home I pass the guy selling gas cans - he only had a few left and the price was now $50 a can. It also looked like he also had more cars parked by him than he had gas cans left.

He must have made over $1,000 - which isn't bad considering how easy it would be - assuming you had the trailer already.

But the guy took a risk - buying that many gas cans - if the storm would have turned he would have been stuck with them.

Plus he had to decide when to fill them up - too early he may get stuck with a bunch of gas cans full of gas - wait too long and no gas will be for sale.

Not worth it to me - but give the guy some credit -

cbetts1 and Deltic like this.
  10. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

I was just on Maui last week, flight was $700 round trip.

Saw a post about tickets being $10k+... wow.

11. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

If people would grow up and stop being children all their lives there would be very little, if any, price gouging with no government overreach necessary. Namely, if people would grow up to accept that prices go up with increased demand (e.g., gasoline at Winter and Summer), and also act like grown ups by deciding not to shop at the price gouger's stores AFTER the disaster, there would be hardly a call, and nary a scream or shout for Uncle Sam to do "something about all these bad price gouging people." :fist:

Children run to Mommy and Daddy with nonexistent calamities all the time. The mature Mommies and Daddies make it known to their children when they need to handle the "problem" on their own.

If a vendor sells an 8# bag of ice for $15-$20 during a disaster, the same vendor should not be able to sell it for $0.50 per bag after the disaster, but guess what? The person who sold all his/her ice for the fair price of $2.50 a bag is 3/4 of mile further down the road, so due to convenience's sake, the once inflamed customer screaming about price gouging decides to patronizes the price gouger's business to save the time and trouble a driving 3/4 mile further.

Just grow up and put on some big girl panties. If in your opinion a business was price gouging during a calamity, then NEVER shop there again. They will dry up and be gone if enough people decide to take their business elsewhere.

On a similar note, when there is no disaster going on, do the best you can do to prepare AHEAD OF TIME for the disasters common to your area.

Lastly, I live in Florida, so from June to November I have all kinds of canned goods and at least 30 gallons of bottled water on hand for "me and mine." Since Irma, I've added a portable generator that's big enough to handle "me and mine's" energy needs as well as make ice for others.

Guess what? If I have to pay $75-$125 per 15 gallon tank of propane for the generator after the next hurricane, it will be MY OWN D*MN FAULT. Even so, I would make the choice that no matter how inconvenient for me personally, I would NEVER go back to the vendor that overcharged me. The last thing I would do is call and whine to my Uncle Sam or State government.

Just my $0.02, ymmv

RocNRoll, mrdann and Atomic Punk like this.
  12. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Wow, are all the GT anti-price gougers still asleep? Usually they come out in force for these threads.

13. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Amazing lack of info in that article.

While im not doubting there is likely price gouging going on, i wonder how much is percieved?

Like that pic of a case of water at best buy for $48 ( case of 25 ) but nobody did the math to see that's still the regular price of $1.92 per bottle.

14. Sgt127

Sgt127

Seriously? It’s Hawaii. Every pantry should have a case of Ramen. A 40 pound bag of white rice. Gallon of soy sauce, A mid sized pallet of Spam and, several dozen cans of Dole Pineapple.

Ours did when we lived there.

Couple cases of water and you could survive nicely for a couple weeks.

All that salt will keep your BP nice and high too so you stay alert!

cbetts1, AdamRodgers, janice6 and 5 others like this.
  15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Can’t happen to a better group of Democrats.

6Actual, medic2258, sonoma and 5 others like this.
  16. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

As long as the sushi go-round places are up and running all should be fine.

17. Lazy R

Lazy R

At the end of winter nobody cares about the hardware store having to discount their snow shovels.

Hartford, OGW and AK_Stick like this.
  18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

I'm in Arizona, so the only way I know that hurricane season is here is when these annual threads pop up. :cool:

19. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

An extra $20 a week would solve it.'08.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  20. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

Gouge people in time of need to make a few bucks.

People suck.