Price check on Maadi AK

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by powderhead, Oct 13, 2010.

1. powderhead

powderhead

I am going in about two hours to look at a private party sale of a Maadi that is supposedly in excellent condition for $400. Any comments would be appreciated. I have never had an AK but have heard that Maadi's are very good quality. This gun was purchased during the Cliton regime. and has had about a hundred rounds through it since. The owner says that the gun was not new when he got it but was in like new condition and remains in the same condition now. Should I or shouldn't I?

2. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Check for cant on the front sight assembly, not a bad price if there are some magazines to go with it and its a pretty cherry rifle. I would probably buy it if I had the chance.

3. powderhead

powderhead

Zeker, Thanks for the input. I took a risk and bought it. The gun looks like real low round count. The only down side is that the guy tried to JB weld a muzzle brake on it. However, I believe that stuff will clean up okay. As is, it doesn't look bad - just smuged up.

4. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

5. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

You aren't in SC by any chance are you?

Is this seller a friend of yours?:wavey:

I ask because a friend of mine had his Maadi AK stolen by a drug addict "friend" of his. I'm just saying, be careful about buying used guns from people you don't know.

TGG

6. 10mm Sonny

10mm Sonny

Maadis are my favorite AK's. I think you got a good price for it. The last two I saw at a gun show were $995 each.

7. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Sounds like a good catch Powderhead, a little careful handwork should clean up the JB weld Bubba handywork.

8. powderhead

powderhead

I should be okay on this one. I'm 1,500 miles from you. I usually have a county sheriff run the numbers for me on this kind of purchase anyway.

9. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

10. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

There are different Maadi AK's of various quality. The best is the original all made by Maddi AK. Then there are the ones assembled in the US, usually with Chinese parts. Some have factory Maddi trunnions and the Chinese barrel is sleeved to fit it. This a cheap job and often the receiver is bent or twist while installing the barrel. Then there is the worst, the one with Maadi's receiver with Chinese parts and Chinese trunnions. The Chinese trunnions are narrower than the inside width of the receiver. This can also show a "twisted" looking receiver. If the front rivet pattern is Chinese, it has a Chinese trunnion. The rear trunnion may also be Chinese and the receiver will be "pinched". Then there are the single stack magazine Maadi AK's. Some of these have been modified for military magazines. The original bolt will not work properly with a double stack magazine and should be replaced with a standard bolt. These are usually pretty rough.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010