close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Price check! Need some timely answers!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Razoreye, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Gotta check this out by Monday or Tuesday before he sells.

03' Gixxer 750

-14k miles
    -Front right (fairing?) has a hole in it where a buddy tried to pass and wiped out. His handle bar punched a little hole and light scratching.
    -1.5 year used tires (about a season's worth of riding)
    -Carbon Fiber pipes up front (whatever he called it)
    -Yoshi (?) pipes
    -Power Commander
    -Garage kept, never dropped, never laid, just that damage up front

$4750

Looks really good to me as far as I can tell and the price looks right especially for a first bike I don't mind the small damage and quite a few extras.

What say you?

2. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Sounds like a good deal as long as it hasn't been wrecked.

Inspect closely especially lower part of bike, bar ends, etc for damage. At 1.5yrs the tires are probably ready to be replaced so count on that expense soon ($200-$275)

I haven't priced that model myself but it's alot of bike for the money you listed. It's also alot of bike for a beginner, be very careful.

3. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

I hear you, and I will. The bike isn't that intimidating really. He was going to let me ride it but I told him I'll hold off so I don't snafu something. Luckily it is near where I live and I got a friend that will run blocking behind me in case I **** up. Then I can practice getting used to it. This is assuming I get it. :supergrin:

4. iceman32

iceman32

not to sound rude but it should be intimidating. that bike will smoke a z06 corvette with ease and will flip you over quicker than you can crap your pants. not saying you should be afraid of it but these bikes demand an immense amount of respect. so know as you get on this thing that you are riding a bike that is faster than any 1000cc grand prix motorcycle made 5 years ago. so i would reccomend that you have as much protection on as possible atleast. a helmet jacket, gloves, LONG pants and SHOES not flip flops. I am know stepping off my soap box. now to answer your questions i would suggest that you take it to a dealer and have them look it over because the 750 gsxr is a very popular stunt bike and wheelies are hard on the motor if there isn't enough extra oil so if you can have a dealer check the oil and that kind of thing id do it. check for chunks of melted rubber on the bottom side of the tail if there is then that means he's been doing burnouts which means he probably abused that bike. that said if its in good condition that a hell of a deal.

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Call me silly, but...

I would not buy a bike with that many miles and that many performance mods.

If he has a full exhaust system, which it kinda sounds like he does, versus a slip-on pipe, and a Power Commander, it is safe to say that those 14,000 miles were not "easy riding". Also, what is the age of the owner? If he's somewhat young, I would also pass.

I don't want a bike that's been ragged to hell and back. I'd rather buy bone stock, from a more "mature" person, and have a bike with lower miles. If I feel performance mods are needed, I'd shell out the cash. But, it sounds like you are a beginner so there should be no needed mods on any modern day sportbike.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

How can a bike that had been sideswiped by another bike hard enough to put a hole in the fairing yet didn't get laid down?

Caveat Emptor.

BTW, I second Iceman's suggestion. Tell the guy you wanna take it to a shop for mechanical evaluation.

As far as not being intimidated by that bike, only a fool or a very seasoned rider would make that statement. That bike should make in stock form at least 115-HP at the rear wheel.

7. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Clarification: "not that intimidating" does not mean ride like it is a car. I meant it in a way that it should be a lot easier to learn to ride/control/use this bike than I previously thought with all the "warnings." I've had a bunch of friends who have these kind of bikes give me some sage advice, lessons hard learned and some not so. Like I stated, I'll have a friend assist me in getting the bike and I'm going to practice a bunch first. I'm no fool. (OR am I, according to fnfalman?)

USMC - there was a previous owner. This guy bought the extras I guess to be like the other guys but the bike quickly became a garage queen and just used for short trips in the summer. I realize it is just his word but he says it mainly stayed in the garage and just very few occasions of "hard riding."

FN - I have no idea, he said he controlled it and stayed up. He's a pretty big guy, I don't know if that helped but I can assure you the outside looks great except that one hole and the little scratches right by that hole (which looks to confirm his story.)

Am I a fool? Well, I guess you already made your mind up. Have a nice day. :)

Ride2Die, fellas. ;)

8. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

Have the valves been adjusted yet? What do the maintenence records look like. If he doesn't have them, you can assume that absolutely nothing has been done. Valve adjustement and routine maint. can be pricey on some bikes.

Age and riding style can be a strong indication of how well a bike will last. How big are the chicken strips on the rear tire? If there is wear all the way to the edge then you know that the bike has been ridden hard and put away wet.

Well maintained most bikes will live a long life.

9. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

UPDATE - I am meditating on this and digging further. I still not have decided whether or not to buy this bike. The other person looking at it decided they couldn't afford it and now I have a little more time to consider. I will give him an answer soon whether or not I'll take it.

Like Fnfalman said - Caveat Emptor. Thanks for all the advice guys, I do listen and will take this all into consideration.

10. Twisted10

Twisted10

seems to be too much to me. its prolly been rode hard and put away wet.

inspect it some more, check the rear sprocket on both sides for wear.. check the forks for leaks.

11. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

I walked away from the sale. No need jumping into something head on even though it seemed a good price for the condition it was in. I'll get what I want later on. Thanks fellas for your input, I didn't want to "act a fool." :supergrin:

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Nothing wrong with acting the fool if you know what you're doing. The professional stunters do a damn good job of it.

But if you're fresh to motorcycling and thinking that a 100+ HP motorcycle "ain't nuthin' special" then you gotta relook at at the whole shebang.

There's a big difference between lecturing beginners on throttle control and having the same novice rider exercising throttle control. It's not a matter of mindset but a matter of developed skill set.

Anyway, that's my two cents on motorcycle choice for beginners. I'm not here to lecture or hold anybody's hands. I'm here to impart some of the knowledge that I've garnered and to garner knowledge that I don't have.

We're all adults here and we all should act as our minds dictate.

13. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

You're fine, fnfalman. I appreciate the input as that is what the forums are for. Like I said, I didn't mean it as "ain't nuthin' special" just as in it wasn't as bad as some made it out to be. Trust me, I hear your advice and others. I'm thinking I will try to get some deal on a 250 or 500 motorcycle at a dealership and then upgrade after a few months. Of course, I'm waiting until winter when the prices will theoretically be down.