close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pretty bummed about the classifieds closed and the Outdoor Bidur junk

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Wrxified, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Wrxified

Wrxified

Is it just me or do others feel the same way. I love coming to GT to look at the classifieds and read the most recent threads in other forums.

Having to navigate through OB won't have me looking there for stuff.

2. kidbuck

kidbuck Flashaholic

3. Wrxified

Wrxified

Oops. Should have looked first. Thanks. I just ran here as quick as I could when I noticed the classifieds were gone. Don't like it. Sounds like I'm not alone. I'm not headed to Outdoor Bidur to look a the stuff for sale. I just went there and found it non-user friendly. Maybe that's a bit much. I mean I just like being in the GT and clicking on firearms or accessories for sale. BAM there they were. The newest ones right at the top.

4. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Good grief, how could it be more user-friendly?? You can click on the 'Classified Ads' link and see every classified ad listing, at a glance. You can search for what you are looking for. You can browse by category. You can browse by region. There are at a least a dozen different ways to browse the site and placing an item there is a simple process.

As I said, I am going to make a lot of changes, to enhance the site, streamline the operation of the software and add new features. All I am asking is for people to give it a chance. Eric

5. Wrxified

Wrxified

Kinda answered the question above with the sentence below.

I'm just trying to provide feedback. My feedback is that an Auction site in itself is far less user friendly than clicking on the "Firearms Listings". If I want auctions I go to the ones with the most selection. At this time OB isn't it.

On another note I've never, ever purchased a firearm from the Auction sites. Only firearm I've ever purchased on the internet was through GT's classifieds.

6. Stopdropnroll

Stopdropnroll Millennium Member

Simpler, Eric, Simpler...

As mentioneed above, there is just way too much going on. ("Suggest a new catagory", your kidding right?) The beauty of the classifieds was thier simplicity... Guns, Mags, Holster, other crap. SDnR

7. DB

DB Millennium Member

Ouchie my head hurts! Buttons everywhere, text overload! Redundant buttons on both sides of the screen, So many departments and i don't know what most of them mean. My LiveWindow? Dutch Items? I'm so confused.

By the time I found the classified ads (I don't like auctions, classified ads are more my speed), there are computer parts, brass, guns, magazines all smashed together. The font is so small.

When I finally got to an item of interest, even though I think I'm in the classified ads (this does mean I don't have to bid, right?) it says that it ends "5 minutes after the last bid." Oh, I am not a smart man, please make this more simple for me.

Why can I not post questions and comments like on GT? That would be so helpful.

8. Colubrid

Colubrid

I don't like/use auctions. I like the classifieds and that is what brings me to Glocktalk.

bye

9. 40SX

40SX

10. jgun

jgun

Is the frustration worth it to you, Eric? Just asking because even though some of us are really trying, so far, the results stink! At what point to you put a crippled animal down and save us all a bunch of heartache?

11. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

jgun, you have no idea how deep my frustration goes. I doubt if you have any idea how disheartening it is for me to see posts such as yours either. As I have said several times now, I will be beginning the changes on the OB site this week. Eric

12. dgg9

dgg9

Mine, too.

Tried signing up at outdoorbidur. Waited a week for the validating email that never arrived.

Went back to site and went to the "re-register" window. Went through re-entering everything only to be told that the email address was already taken. Of course it was already taken -- by me, the first time! A RE-register window should know that I'm going to use the same email.

Sent email at the "contact us" button explaining all this. Again, many days later, no response.

I give up....

13. jgun

jgun

I'm sorry Eric. I just hate to see GT in such turmoil. You had such a good thing going and it was a real joy for all of us. I'm just frustrated because I'm trying to help and posting all I can over on OB but it's lightyears behind the simplicity of the classified forums. Just seems like you're going through hell over this and none of us really think you have to. There are many great alternatives that would be a whole lot less work for you and worth it to us to get the classifieds back. Just trying to help, but if your that dead set on this is the only way to save GT then do what you think is best. Just remember, regardless of what you think, it's the members that will make the final decision weather you like it or not. Don't loose that perspective.

14. kidbuck

kidbuck Flashaholic

Eric,

I have to agree with JGUN.

I'll be the first to admit that I was totally against outdoor. After my anger subsided a bit, I decided to take your advice and give it a shot. Boy, that only added fuel to my fire. I never got to log in!
    I created 2 different accounts, never did recieve my password.
    Many others are in the same boat.

Just read the forums Eric. There are VERY few people that like outdoor. Many are frustrated, like myself...we just want to log on and can't.

If so many of us are unhappy, why continue with outdoor???

If it's about the money, I'll contribute again. There are other
    ways of helping you pay for the site, this is just NOT one of them.

Please put an end to OUTDOOR^c

15. Armed&Dangerous

Armed&Dangerous

My frustration is not so much about navigating or bidding the new outdoorbidur site. I created another account just to bid BUT...

My biggest gripe is there is NOTHING to bid on:(

Most of the stuff listed are overpriced and unsold items. I drop by the site every other night (where before I drop by the classified section morning and night everyday) and see the same old, overpriced, stuff.

The other thing I noticed is that I haven't been to Glocktalk in two weeks or so:(

Man, I'd rather be a paying member of Glocktalk and access a lively and exciting classified ads than a ghosttown outdoorbidur site.

The solution to my problem is simple. If there's a lot of things for sale in outdoorbidur, I'd have no problem. But for now, I really miss the classified section.

More power to you Eric and I think you know what you're doing. Hope you can pull it off. But be perceptive of what people here are saying and there will be a point when you'd have to say, "This ain't working". Keep it on.

16. Wrxified

Wrxified

I noticed the same thing. Look in the members online section too at 7:00 pm some night. There is probably a third the number of guests online then there were earlier.

Well good news is he can drop the spare T1.

17. USMC_2674

USMC_2674

I used to spend HOURS browsing the classifieds and a few minutes on the other forums. Now, I spend maybe an hour a week on glocktalk... and none at outdoorbidur.

The reason I won't use outdoorbidur (after trying and failing to sell or buy anything on there) is that I don't use auction sites not because it is an auction, but because of its format!

I will now spend my time on the highroad and ar15.com.

I only a few weeks on glocktalk before it changed over from the classifieds, but bought and sold more than my share of items after I discovered it. I never donated but was planning on it... now I can't see myself doing it because it no longer caters to my likes and you don't seem to care Eric... you just don't seem to care.

You are very generous with your time and money... and mabye we take you for granted... but lets see if I can give you an analogy.

You are a generous person and you build a great park for everyone to play in. Some like the monkey bars, some like the grass to lie on and talk... but mostly people are coming because they like the layout of the park (nice soft grass that is simple with some trees).

Well, you decide that you won't have to cut the grass (and thus save / make money) if you make the whole park out of concrete. so you spend a lot of time and money on the concrete and suddenly people stop coming. They want to come, but it is uncomfortable.

It is not the change we don't like... we can handle change... it is the new style we don't like.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. The day you put the classifieds back and promise to keep them there, is the day I'll make a donation to this site.

This is ALL meant to be constructive.

Semper Fidelis,

Kent

18. Colubrid

Colubrid

I keep checking in here in H O P E S to find everything back to where it should be.

People are going to eventually stop checking in.