Pressure switch or no pressure switch

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by eman2016, Sep 14, 2020.

1. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Nice set up. I like this positioning and set up as well.

I do own a Cloud Defensive OWL which has an integrated pressure switch. No wires, very robust, seems to overcome most of the issues with a pressure switch save one; it sits pretty high up on the rail and it’s a stretch to get my thumb up there. But if you have long thumbs, might be a good option. The light itself is one of the best on the market, a candela beast and very rugged.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

my one dislike about the OWL is that it cannot use regular batteries. I wish that Cloud Defensive had made it dual fuel like Surefire did with its Scout model that uses both double CR123 or rechargeable battery.

BTW, the USB rechargeable battery in the Scout Dual Fuel is a few millimeters too long to fit in the OWL.

3. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Agreed, that was a dumb move on their part. I can only guess that CR123s just don’t have the juice to get those very high candela numbers, which is one of the OWL’s main selling point.

The SF Dual fuel actually has far less candela (thinking of remedying that with a Modlite head on mine). If the Modlite head allows me to use CR123 batteries also, might dump the OWL and just get just put together another light with the SF body and Modlite head. I’m not sold on a weapons light that you can’t use off the shelf disposable batteries. That said, the OWL is an amazingly well built light and if you are into pressure pads, there is probably nothing better out there.

Haven’t haven’t tried to stick the SF battery into the OWL. Good to know.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  4. w30olds

w30olds Me fail English? That's unpossible

Same setup I run. Highly recommend this.

5. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

B8382D26-4F0E-4F98-BA90-B3D44327E473.jpeg

cloud defensive did say that the rechargeable battery was needed to
    Throw out all that light.

I got both spare batteries charged up. I wonder how long the spare batteries would stay charged?

rlewpolar and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    I run pressure switches as much as possible.

typically 10:30, unless my laser gets in the way. Currently waiting on a hot button to run both.

7. Timmy bigtime

Timmy bigtime

I have a protac with cloud defensive mount. I like it.

8. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

I was given a green LASER and I put it on my Sub 2K. After fooling round with the pressure switch I took it off. I rotate the tail cap closed for on and loosen it for off.

9. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

The other question is, does the light itself drain the battery? Some lights when off kill batteries quickly.

10. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I don’t know...yet. These batteries had been fully charged five weeks ago. Every week, I’d hit the button to see if the light still works and if it’s more dim than before.

11. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

A quality light shouldn't demonstrate any parasitic drain however lithium batteries do discharge on their own over time. This seems to be the average, "5 percent in the first 24 hours and then loses 1–2 percent per month; the protection circuit adds another 3 percent per month."

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn...-discharges about,another 3 percent per month.

rlewpolar likes this.
  12. drumgod

drumgod

I haven't had much need for a rifle light. I've occasionally run a TLR-1HL at 12. With mbuis against the rear it operates in momentary-on only and accessible to my thumb from either side. If I ever get around to picking up a proper light it will probably be one of Streamlight's offerings with a pressure switch at 12.