Glock Talk banner

President should Serve

4415 Views 148 Replies 75 Participants Last post by  ras47
How many believe like I do ?
Before a President can be a President they should serve in the military honorable !
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

· Registered
2,013 Posts
I think the idea is that if we want our president to have qualifications like military service, we are supposed to vote for candidates who have that qualification and against those who don't. Sure, it would be nice to virtually eliminate the Democrats by requiring military service, but I don't think it will happen and it's probably not a great idea.
Eliminating the Democrat party as a viable political party should be a priority. Actually, eliminating all political parties and just have candidates for an office should be the priority. First becomes President, second VP, etc, as it used to be.

· Registered
14,462 Posts
Candidly I'm not sure UK, UKR or any other nation enters into this.

On Carter, I'm not sure he was ever in a Snr Command Role so his Mil Svce experience is fairly moot.
I think serving in command in actual combat is of more value in a POTUS Candidate.
Just an opinion so disregard at will but, I think those here who've received enemy fire will know what I'm talking about.
So receiving enemy fire would be the standard? That leaves out Eisenhower?
The military aren’t the only ones to come under fire. I have been under fire and made decisions that put myself or other police officers into direct harm. I have watched fellow officers die. I have made decisions if I was wrong could have resulted in their deaths . But so have a lot of other professions such as fire fighting.
I think the difference between someone who served in such a role ( military and/or non military) is the direct experience of working in such an organization and the limitations of such an organization. People who never been in such a situation don’t think of the small stuff that can break or make a mission such as logistics of food or sleep or muscle fatigue. Or what leadership it takes to get people to risk their lives beyond “ it’s an order”.
People can get that experience outside the military, police or fire departments. Right now, I’m think of those power line workers during this most recent hurricane.

· Registered
15,395 Posts
I believe that we as a country need to go back to compulsory military service (Army, Navy, Airforce, Coast Guard) for all individuals between the ages of 18 and 20. No exceptions except for significant handicaps. This would mean that going forward 15 to 20 years in the future, any candidate for the President and Vice President would have been in the military. In the near term, I don't think you can require military service of the President and Vice President because you would probably eliminate 80 percent of the leadership talent.
Interest perspective. However, I think your numbers are probably very near term and are impacted by that fact that military service is not compulsory in the US. In Israel for example, military service is compulsory for all people between 18 and 20 years of age who are Jewish. Of that population, over 80% serve, roughly 30% in combat roles, 10% in command roles, 30% in support roles, 30% in logistic or technology roles. But all go through basic, all live some level of military discipline, and all learn the chain of command. That kind of rigor would do wonders for our youth who have nothing better to do than being on tik-tok all day.
You are thinking of the military as some kind of social program, that is not what it is for. Let's look at some issue with your proposal.
1- The cost would be staggering. Modern weapons are expensive and we already spend a huge amount on them and the people to operate them.
2- Our current volunteer military does a great job. Why fix it if it isn't broken? Who wants to be in a unit with a bunch of unmotivated draftees who don't want to be there?
3- It takes time to train soldiers. Armies that rely on conscripted soldiers get them somewhat trained and then release them back into the civilian world just as they start to be useful.
4- There is an opportunity cost. All of those people could be doing productive jobs and paying taxes instead of doing make work in a military that doesn't need most of them.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
I'm late to the party, but I did a quick flip through of the thread to see if the issue I'm about to bring up was mentioned. I didn't see it.

About 5% of the population in the US are military veterans. So requiring someone to be a veteran for any political office would have the effect of excluding 95% of the population. For a number of reasons that's never going to fly, nor would it likely be desirable.

· Registered
28,325 Posts
Interest perspective. However, I think your numbers are probably very near term and are impacted by that fact that military service is not compulsory in the US. In Israel for example, military service is compulsory for all people between 18 and 20 years of age who are Jewish. Of that population, over 80% serve, roughly 30% in combat roles, 10% in command roles, 30% in support roles, 30% in logistic or technology roles. But all go through basic, all live some level of military discipline, and all learn the chain of command. That kind of rigor would do wonders for our youth who have nothing better to do than being on tik-tok all day.
So instead of being free to decide you want the government to mold people into what it considers to be “better” citizens.

Which right now is gender fluid CRT supporting liberal social justice warriors that want equity of outcome rather than equality of opportunity.

Let’s all go full woke!

· Registered
14,462 Posts
Never said it affected the outcome. However it did not help. Russia our enemy, helped one of their agents get elected with the full support of the people that own the republican/fascist party which did major harm to our country. That there is a fact. Its also a fact that the fascist/republican/russsia loving party is still at it. Hell a third of the Supreme Court is made up of people nominated by a guy that is about to be convicted of espionage, a dirty traitor.
You do realize it’s been proven that it was the Clinton campaign that made up the Trump-Russia thing and even arraigned for a Russian agent to meet with Trump, Jr. A meeting he left when he realized it was a set up. That is also proven.
The Steele Dossier was made up in part by a Russian agent talking to Steele— all lies- to the point that it claimed it run out of the Russian embassy in Miami. ( there is no Russian embassy in Miami).
This was done in part with Fusion GPS/Clinton campaign and members of DOJ/FBI. Same members of Mueller investigation.
These are all facts from the Durham investigation/prosecution.
Basically, the Clinton campaign were the ones in contact with the Russians.

· Registered
14,462 Posts
Right now, in New York, they attempted to gerrymander them one republican seat in NYC but the courts didn’t go for it. She is up against the democrat whom she beat last election. A combat veteran but he voted the Pelosi line .
The democrats have been actively recruiting prior military to run in order to overcome the anti-military stigma they have had in the past.

· Registered
1,475 Posts
I would settle for an smart, honest, brave and moral president well before I would care about having a military background. But it's not going to happen in my lifetime.

· Registered
970 Posts
View attachment 1116971 View attachment 1116971

Still hands down my favorite photo of a Glock 22. This photo caused me to add one to my collection. Works like Raid on fascists. DRT!!! A single shot ended a violent insurrection and sent the terrorist running for the exits. The oath creepers were there by their own admission to violently murder Pence and Pelosi, but one brave Lieutenant, a seasoned law enforcement officer stopped that right there. Back the Blue baby!!
You are sick

· Registered
970 Posts
In Starship Troopers, Robert Heinlein describes a quasi-democratic political system, embedded in a militaristic government, in which veterans are the only people who are full citizens and, therefore, have the right to vote. The United States experienced a plague of youth crime in the 1950s. Older generations believed that teenagers were lazy, reckless, lacking discipline, disrespectful of authority, and violent. In response, the United States focused on progressive solutions such as prevention and rehabilitation. Heinlein's novel is clearly a product of its time as he proposes a more direct solution to juvenile delinquency, while at the same time, criticizing democracy. Veterans are the only people who have the right to vote in Heinlein's society because, unlike juveniles in the 1950s, by serving in the federal service, veterans have proven that they are capable of making mature decisions that put the good of society before themselves. However, this same reactionary means of establishing a voting populace can be seen in early American voting rights. As colonists asserted their rights over the tyrannical rule of King George III, they also showed us the way in which voting rights came from the small number of leaders who, at the time, determined the values of society. The examples of voting rights in Heinlein's work of science fiction, alongside these historical illustrations, reveal how quasi-democratic systems, established by small groups of similarly minded people, will disenfranchise large and significant portions of the population and ultimately lead to revolution. (I am ok with that)
Land ownership was a early requirement to vote

· Polymerlicious!
6,656 Posts
How many believe like I do ?
Before a President can be a President they should serve in the military honorable !
While I certainly understand the reasoning behind this, I don't think it's a good idea.
Our system is based on civilian leadership of the military. The two are sometimes at odds but the military is supposed to always bend to the will of the Commander-In-Chief.
Given our current state, I wish Biden had served because he doesn't have a clue what to do, our current military leadership is incompetent and I'm concerned Dr. Dementia may get us into WWIII.
Having said that, I still wouldn't want to amend the Constitution to force military service.

· Polymerlicious!
6,656 Posts
People better wake the **** up. There is no 2nd amendment with out the original document which is our constitution. The Republican Party now do not want the people of our country to choose our government. We are a democracy or a republic which are the same thing. The Republican Party no longer thinks the people should decide who is in our government which is supposed to be decided by the voters.
WTF are you talking about???

101 - 120 of 149 Posts