President Obama used a column in the Harvard Law Review to assert that prayer in America is insuffic

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by ThunderTrumped, Jan 12, 2017.

1. ThunderTrumped

ThunderTrumped

On January 5, 2017, he wrote in the Harvard Law Review:

But as I’ve said many times: “[O]ur thoughts and prayers are not enough.” They alone won’t “capture the heartache and grief and anger we should feel,” and they do “nothing to prevent this carnage from being inflicted someplace else in America.” We have a responsibility to act.

Obama went on to make clear that his emphasis on acting–on doing something–was an emphasis on passing more gun control:

Congress should pass the kinds of commonsense reforms supported by most of the American people–from investing in access to mental health care, to expanding background checks, to making it possible to keep guns out of the hands of suspected terrorists. The actions we take won’t prevent every act of violence–but if even one life is spared, they will have been well worth it.

He did not mention that the United States already has background checks, and such checks have proven to be mass attackers’ method of choice for acquiring firearms. Nor did he mention that all the hype about using no-fly lists to keep guns out of the hands of terrorists is just that: hype. After all, the San Bernardino attackers, the Orlando Pulse attacker, and the recent Ft. Lauderdale airport attacker were not on any such list.

Obama and Democrats’ methods, therefore, are not measures that will stop crime or make Americans safer.

my bitterness is clouding my comprehension.
    can somebody explain this article to me please.

http://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendm...review-prayer-wont-do-it-we-need-gun-control/

2. G19 DB

G19 DB

You first Mr. outgoing pres. Good luck with that.

ObamaGuns.png

3. ThunderTrumped

ThunderTrumped

NYT: Allowing Guns for Self-Defense in Unsecured Airport Areas Is ‘Delusional’
    On January 12, nearly one week after a suspect gunned down unarmed, defenseless travelers at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, the New York Times argues that allowing law-abiding citizens to be armed for self-defense in unsecured areas of airports is “delusional.”
    In other words, the contention that concealed carry permit holders would shoot back and stop the attack rather than collapse in fear and cry like children is crazy.

The NYT quotes Florida state Representative Jake Raburn (R-57) saying, “There could have been the potential for people to protect themselves in that situation.” He has subsequently put forward legislation that will allow concealed carry permit holders to carry their guns in the unsecured areas of Florida airports. This would catch Florida up with the rest of the country, where 44 states already allow concealed permit holders to carry in such areas.

The NYT, however, describes this push as “delusional,” saying, “The grim truth is that concealed-carry permit holders are rarely involved in stopping crime.” Moreover, the article goes on to claim there is a chance concealed permit holders will actually carry out mass shootings, and attempts to back up this claim by citing a Violence Policy Center (VPC) study.

The outlet does not note that the VPC uses quotes from debunked Harvard researcher David Hemenway, nor does it grapple with the unrefuted academic work of Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck. For more than 20 years, Kleck’s work has shown that about 760,000 defensive gun uses occur annually in the U.S., and that represents the minimum number.

Instead, the NYT claims the concealed carry permit holders would pose a greater threat to public safety than did the scenario where the only person armed was the criminal. In so doing, it ignores that Florida currently has “gun-free” regulations for its airports–regulations that did nothing to stop a determined attacker from killing innocents in cold blood. In truth, those regulations made doing so easier because the innocents could not fight back.

janice6 and halfmoonclip like this.
  4. refugeepj

refugeepj

who?
    oh, yeah, that guy.
    is he still around?

5. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

In his mind.

janice6 and refugeepj like this.
  6. Random

Random Banned

Can't. GT members just evolved to recognize the disparity in our own stances on the topic of gun control. And we all love guns.

The old oversimplified Gun control = bad isn't working for everyone anymore. Sure, some still think that way. Others think some kind of restrictions for the mentally unstable are necessary. Some think pre-existing laws are enough. Some think we need to chuck those and start fresh.

7. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

and some should not think at all

janice6 likes this.
  8. plp

plp

Oh, you mean like the ones already in place? That most state agencies do not have the manpower or funding to enforce?

My wife works in the mental health field, and have had family members voluntarily remove firearms from some of their clientele. She was surprised to learn there are already laws on the books making this legal, as some of the clientele called the police and reported the guns stolen, knowing they had been removed by family.

The most the police can do is confiscate the weapons from the family members and hold them until a mental assessment has been conducted.

9. Random

Random Banned

Yes, those are the laws I am referring to.
    Our recent debates have mainly revolved around whether those laws shouldn't exist in the first place, should be enforced properly, or should be nixed and re-written with clarification (though the bulk of our disagreement seemed to be over who would qualify as restricted - that went on for a couple pages in the latest fl. shooter thread).

Is that you were asking?

I'm pointing out in my previous posts above that more and more of the gun-luvin members here are beginning to see that there are many different facets to "gun control". It's always been presented in such simplistic terms "Gun control is bad. It means you're losing rights. ANY type of gun control is you giving those rights away. Don't think about it. Don't discuss it. Don't consider it. Just blindly reflexively say No."
    I think I've seen a shift in opinion as of late. Some people seem to be breaking it down and looking at individual issues. Weighing them seperately with less fear of the "Oh, but if you give them that they'll just ask for more" that I usually see.
    It's really interesting to watch. Valid arguments by relatively intelligent individuals on both sides.

10. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

most of the gun control **** has been brought on by the same fools that champion global warming. I would like to know the percentage of crazies shootin' up the country compared to population and other violent crimes. I'm sure it's a uuuuuge number

11. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Sorry. . . He had his 8 year to try, and he failed to pass anything substantial. luck. . .