President invokes the Defense Production Act

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by HJB, Mar 27, 2020.

1. HJB

HJB Banned

and orders GM to make ventilators and step it up !

redrick likes this.
  2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

More winning...................

DonGlock26 and redrick like this.

3. plp

plp

Excellent. I can think of a dozen U.S. chemical manufacturers whom need to retool for antibiotics, insulin, all essential medications.

Jade Falcon, NMG26, wprebeck and 4 others like this.
  4. NoStress

NoStress

Go Donald. Make America great again.

5. berto62

berto62

I'm betting it will be at least 6 months before we see the first GM ventilator.

6. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

We need to get our essential industries back.

larry_minn and wprebeck like this.
  7. JFrame

JFrame

Maybe they can make ventilators of a quality like Underwood made M-1 carbines... :)

8. HJB

HJB Banned

I think you are probably right. I just hope we remember this next time GM comes with their hat in their hand asking for a bailout.

….And that might not be far down the road.

9. berto62

berto62

I don't think that they don't want to make them, they have partnered with one of the ventilator manufacturers and have a plan in place. It just takes a long time to get your assembly line in place and get your supply chain up and running.

10. HJB

HJB Banned

Well, I guess Trump doesn't think they are doing all they can so he whacked their PeePee and exposed to the world that they basically are not in the game !

11. berto62

berto62

I saw this posted on another forum and if it is true we are both wrong.

Just talked to one of the manufacturing engineers. They started setting up this past week. They're waiting on a couple of testers (leak and pressure tests). They'll be building ventilators in a week. He said they'd move faster if the managers would get the **** out of the way. For the time being they won't assemble the circuit boards, but they have the capacity, equipment, and skills to do it if necessary.

I've known these guys for decades. They're not wet behind the ears desk jockeys - they're crusty old ****s who've been out on the plant floor building stuff for years and they know how to get **** done. Anything under 50,000 a week is practically prototype volumes for them.

The plant is a top notch facility. It's not an old abandoned car assembly plant, it's a subassembly plant. They assemble circuit boards, pressure sensors, engine and transmission controllers, etc. They have sophisticated testing equipment and are familiar with all the same tests you'd do on a ventilator - circuit board level tests in-circuit tests, functional tests, leak tests, pressure tests, etc. They've got intensive quality systems in place because in the automotive supply world defects are measured in parts per million. They've done it for decades. I've been in hundreds of manufacturing plants around the world and they're as good as any and better than most.

NMG26 and DNA like this.
  12. 6Actual

6Actual Southern Backwater Mafia

If they work anything like GM vehicles...
    [​IMG]

larry_minn and jr24 like this.
  13. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

that soon...
    ?

14. berto62

berto62

Sooner even, about a month after starting to set up the production line they are delivering ventilators.

Ventilators assembled by GM and Ventec Life Systems were delivered to hospitals Thursday night with more making their way to facilities today and through the weekend, the first in a 30,000-unit order with the U.S. government.

The deliveries, which went to hospitals in Chicago and Olympia Fields, Ill., are a milestone for the two companies that launched an effort less than a month ago to make thousands of ventilators for hospitals during the COVID-19 pandemic.
    GM and Ventec announced a partnership March 20 to help increase production of respiratory care products such as ventilators. The companies had initially focused on making Ventec’s critical care ventilators, called VOCSN, a higher-end multi-function device that includes a ventilator, oxygen concentrator, cough assist, suction and nebulizer. The device, which has more than 700 components, was cleared in 2017 by the FDA.
    https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/17/g...ilators-under-30000-unit-government-contract/