close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Preservation

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by jawjaboy, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

We have been dehydrating foods for over 20 years, mostly jerky, pea's and butterbeans from the garden, apples, pears, blueberries, and strawberries when in season, etc. etc. We bought our newly married daughter a dehydrator for Christmas....we have started something! All the folks at the hospital where she works has started calling her "Martha", as in Stewart, as they get to sample the goods.

She has been concocting all sorts of fruit leathers(roll-ups). Buying herbs on sale and drying them. Making her own peanut butter. Drying leftover meats....but she has yet to make jerky, which usually she and the husband clean me out of when they come home! Well, mrs.jawja has gotten all the reports of her endeavors and is now making some killer fruit leather from chunky applesauce, pineapple, blueberries and a good dose of honey. This is her first go at it, and it has my seal of approval!

With the daughter being a nurse, the son-in-law in medical school, and both of them very "healthy food" conscious, I don't think we could have given them a better Christmas gift for what little it cost. I guess what I'm trying to say here is...for the $40 cost of the machine, one could have some fun, experiment, concoct, and eat a whole lot healthier.

2. noway

noway

One question, how do you store your dehydrate foods ?

3. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Most all of it in pint and quart "mason" jars, with new lids. Some folks we know are using vacuum sealers....I might go that route some day.

4. noway

noway

Will I just started using my vaccum sealer on dried beans and will work up to fruits here shortly. I was trying to get a feel on what/how people store things.

btw: I use masjon jars only on pickle peppers and veggies like onions,garlic,carrots,etc...

5. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

I will send you a PM later noway, time is limited right now. I use the jars only as "air tight" containers, not as in canning in liquid.

6. noway

noway

I kinda figured that out, but are you sure you are removing ALL of the air as in a vacuum sealed or just air-tight. Big difference imho. Either way how much does it effect the long term "storage" of the item is what really matters. I have a few of those vacuum plastic jars and have yet to use them.

Either way very interesting and I think I'm going to give them ( vacuum canisters a try ) . Sticking the beans and other stuff in the enevelope bag is just plain boring and the canisters would be much better.

Nice to see others doing food preservation ;)

7. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

No, putting the food loose in jars still retains air in the jar. The longest we keep anything in the jars before consumption would be 8-9 months, being the peas and beans. I've had no problems with quality or taste in this amount of storage time. We have an excellent book on deydrating, the best I've ever seen. I can find the web-site for it if you wish. Let me know.

8. noway

noway

Sure send me the link or an ISBN # and I'll look for it ;)

My next task is to learn how to dry sausages and store them. My grand parents did that along with goats,hams and other meats but I never rolled my own sausages much less air dried them and storage.

9. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Here ya'go noway......

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen5.htm

I just ordered our daughter one yesterday. Check out the home page. Prices are listed on the printable order form, or call toll free. If you order one, I don't think it will disappoint you. Let me know.