close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Presenting with great pleasure my Gen 1 Glock 19....

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by glockhoarder, Sep 9, 2017.

1. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

It is with great pleasure that I introduce to my fellow Glock collectors the new cornerstone and pinnacle of my Glock collection: My Gen 1 Glock 19, non-PD marked, complete, all matching numbers, with the original box, parts, manual, accessories and even the packing list from Glock. I am just overjoyed to own it.

The story....

At the beginning of the year I purchased a collectible Glock from a wonderful seller. In the course of our discussions about the gun that I had purchased, he said that he had, amongst other very collectible Glocks, an original Gen 1 Glock 19. Not only that, he said that it was complete and not PD marked. I was stunned. Wow, I thought, really? I asked him if he would kindly send me some photos. He did just that confirming what I already knew from our conversations: that this was the real deal.

I asked him if he wanted to sell. He immediately said no. He said that he had assumed that it was worth about $2000 - $3000 until he heard of the GB auction in which Smokie bought his for nearly $7000. He said that that auction really surprised him. I offered him $7000 and he again immediately said that he didn't want to sell as it was the cornerstone of his collection - something that I could certainly understand.

I of course asked him how he was fortunate enough to have come upon it. He said that he had known a long time Glock employee for many years who was allowed to buy the gun directly from Glock in Feb. 2001. The seller then bought the gun from the Glock employee a few months later. The seller appreciated it for what it was, kept it very well maintained and never fired it.

He noted that the gun had been in Glock's possession from it's importation until Glock sold it to their employee. They insisted on upgrading the internals before they could let if leave the company's possession, hence the rebuild label on the box. Fortunately for all involved, the Glock employee thought that the gun's value would be enhanced by his retaining the original internals. While, as we all know, normal customers can't do this, the long time Glock employee was able to. They have stayed with the gun ever since.

Interestingly, when they upgraded the gun, the took a new label and placed it directly over the original label which can be seen in the photos. So, this is actually the original box that the gun came in, not a new box which was provided at the time of the upgrade.

I told the seller to please let me know if he was ever ready to sell and that I'd make him an extremely strong offer. He said that he would and noted that others had offered him "a lot of money for it".

As the months went by I'd email him every now and then but he still didn't want to sell. Finally, after much thought, I decided to make him an offer that I thought would just floor him thinking that this is perhaps the most collectible and important Glock in the hands of any collector and one that I'll never have a shot at again if I miss it. So, I made him a tremendous offer that I was hoping he would find just too much to refuse. He immediately thanked me for my "generous" offer and said he'd get back to me in a week or so - he didn't even accept this huge offer right away. Clearly this was a testament to his love and appreciation of the gun. A week to the day later, while I was on vacation, he emailed and asked if I was still interested. I said that I was and he accepted my offer. I was just so overjoyed. Man did that make my week and my vacation!

I mentioned to him that after this transaction I'd likely have the dubious distinction of having paid the most money for any collectible Glock (perhaps outside of some of the 30th anniversary charity auctions) ever sold. He agreed and we both laughed. While I don't want to disclose the exact amount paid it was very substantially more than Smokie noted in his posts that he paid for his.

While I was on vacation I called Glock to discuss the gun with them and to see what information they could offer. After some research Glock called me back and confirmed what the seller had told me along with some additional details.

Glock said that the Gun was imported on 12/15/87 thus being one of the first Gen 1 19s ever imported.

It was then shipped to an outside sales rep on 3/10/88. He explained that at that time Glock did not have employee reps but outside sales reps who would demo the guns to PDs. My gun was used for just this purpose: to show to PDs and to introduce them to Glocks. This is why the whole package (mags, accessories, manual, etc) stayed together - because the gun never left Glock's possession from the time of importation until it was sold to an employee. The gun was showed but shot little. It came back to Glock sometime after it went to the outside rep but Glock didn't know the exact date.

It was upgraded and sold to the Glock employee on the packing slip (I covered his name for the photos) in 2/01. He sold to my buyer a couple of months after that. On the packing slip from Glock it notes that the Glock employee paid $600. I paid more :). Of note, the Glock employee stated to my seller that the gun was allowed in some pre-ban states at the time so that it was worth a premium. Indeed.

Shortly after I arrived home from vacation I sent him a certified check. A few days after receipt he shipped the gun to my FFL via Registered mail. It's not everyone that I'd send a large sum to via check on a verbal agreement but I had absolutely zero hesitation with this seller having had extensive phone conversations over the course of months. He is just a great guy. I'm also convinced that he would have only sold to someone who would appreciate and treasure the gun as he had for so many years. He specifically stated that he knew that I would.

There was a twist to the story which really had me on edge for the past week courtesy of the U.S. Postal Service. The gun was shipped via Registered Mail to my FFL. My FFL thought that the whole thing was super cool to the point that he offered to meet me after hours at the shop so that I could be present when it was opened. The gun arrived in less than a week - fast by Registered Mail standards.

Other than the box, all accessories, the original parts, manual and the original packing slip were sent via Registered Mail to my home so that nothing could get lost if the dealer opened it. Both packages tracked together until they diverged just over a week ago. The gun arrived to my FFL a week ago today. I immediately went to open it w/the owner present and to pick it up. The other box was stuck many states away. It was Registered mail which is of course the most secure but the tracking was not updating. Over the Labor Day holiday weekend it just sat and sat. Five days went by w/no tracking information saying only that it had left one facility. I was starting to freak out a bit as, to some extent, the large sum that I paid was for the complete package. The second package was insured of course but the contents were irreplaceable. Finally, it started to move last Tuesday and it arrived this morning. I had it held at the post office and picked it up a few hours ago. I was really worried all last week. What a relief!

I believe that there are only about 12 - 16 Gen 1 19s known. Of those, I only know of three which are not PD marked: the two that Glock owns which are on loan to the Cody museum and the one which a forum member owns. His grandfather was a gun writer. He received the gun for evaluation and was allowed to keep or purchase it. I can't recall if that forum member noted whether or not that gun came in the original box with all accessories.

If any of you have a more accurate count of know of other non-PD marked ones please let us know.

At this time I want to recognize a wonderful forum member who's knowledge and guidance were simply invaluable to me as I've pursued this gun for the better part of a year. That member is Smokie. He epitomizes the essence of what it is to be a great collector and a great member of the collector community.

Unlike some collectors who just want to one up others, are not helpful, don't share knowledge and are jealous and not happy for the finds of other collectors Smokie is just the opposite. He is incredibly generous with his time and knowledge. He has been extremely helpful over the past months and was just truly overjoyed for me when this all came together. He's truly a stand-up guy. What a great asset he is to the Glock collector community. Smokie - my sincerest thanks for all of your help. You're the best!

Before you all enjoy the photos of this magnificent, historical Glock, I want to note that I don't view myself as its owner but only of its temporary steward. The gun will long outlive me. It's important to me that it remain either in the collector community or in a museum where it can be enjoyed, studied and appreciated by other collectors.

To these ends, it will only go to my children if they become serous collectors who will appreciate the gun and treat it appropriately. If not, then it will only be sold to a collector who will do the same. Barring either of these it will be donated to a museum. These plans have been made clear in my estate as well.

In the meantime, I plan to check with the NRA's National Firearms Museum which is near my home. If they don't have a Gen 1 Glock 19 and they are interested, I will offer it on loan to them so that others can see and enjoy it. I'll let you all know what they say.

So, without further delay, I present to you the pride and joy of my Glock collection: Gen 1 Glock 19 SN: AN517US....

(I will post the photos in several posts to follow this one. If there are other photos which would be of interest let me know.)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

3. M5fan

M5fan

Congrats. $7k can buy some real nice firearms ... sans the plastic

MO Fugga likes this.
  4. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

5. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

6. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

7. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

8. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

9. Surtur

Surtur

thats a lot of money for a glock

at least its a cool glock.

SRT Shaft likes this.
  10. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

IMG_20170909_122550419_HDR.jpg IMG_20170909_122626636_HDR.jpg This pic compares a Gen 1 Glock 17 with the Gen 1 19 to demonstrate how the grip was manually cut down on 17 frames to make the Gen 1 19s frames.

11. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9

Nice. I would like to , someday, see something of this caliber (pun intended) with my own two eyes. What a great story!!!
    History right there, folks.

itsfun, Orbit1212, Dcc65 and 3 others like this.
  12. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Thanks.

To each their own...

I have a numerous Class III select fire firearms which are worth several multiples of what I paid for this gun. I enjoy owning this one far more. BTW, many of those CIII guns have a lot of plastic as well :)

SRT Shaft likes this.
  13. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

One correction.... everything is original except the brush. That is new. I have several of the correct age which I can replace the new one with .

Stillvistalite and SRT Shaft like this.
  14. Surtur

Surtur

no matching numbers brush? might as well toss the entire package in the trash then.

15. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

16. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

LOL. Man, I should toss all of my Glocks. None of the my brushes are numbered!

17. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

Ron, you da man!
    :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
    Congratulations on the magnificent acquisition!

18. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Thanks so much!!! Glad u enjoyed it. :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    SRT Shaft likes this.
  19. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

Always refreshing to hear from someone that can pat you on the back and crap on your shoe at the same time...

toro, itsobe, Benchrst and 4 others like this.
  20. First shot

First shot

I remember a thread maybe a year ago? It was titled, I think, "Will Polymer Handguns Become Collectable Like Steel Handguns?"