Present for new officer

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by fg17, Sep 20, 2019.

1. CAcop

CAcop

The best patrol bag I ever used was a Costco laptop/school bag. Way easier to carry out to the car. I could still fit tape measure, DNA kit, fingerprint kit, posse box, ticket book, map, parking cites, pens, pencils, batteries, spare mag in a side water bottle holder, and a few other things that didn't go in the war bag.

The old school square bag is too awkward and LEDs itself to throwing too much **** into it. After 5 years I realized the hazmat book was out of date AND I would never go near a scene like that. That's what hose draggers are for.

fg17 likes this.
  2. CAcop

CAcop

I know if you called us up asking what was allowed for firearms we would tell you to save your money until he was at least off training or even better off probation. Now if it was a "for fun" firearm that would be ok. Like say good hunting rifle with scope of he hunts. Or a nice shotgun for similar purposes.

One of our officers got a nice watch from his dad when he got hired. He still has it to this day 20+ years later. You could even engrave the back.

Flashlights are nice. Especially if you are getting him a back up light. I have dropped my flashlight on a car stop and was able to carry on without much delay. A park ranger dropped his when he fell over a log in a camp ground when a guy came after him with a Molotov cocktail and a large knife. Those guys carry a minimum of three lights.

A go bag might be nice. Just keep it smaller. Like Maxpedetion Thermite size. A few mags, some water, some food, maybe spare batteries, and a few other things. Some of those go bags are approaching patrol bag size and there goes your mobility.

A chest rig for AR or shotgun might be nice too. Or maybe even rifle rated armor. I was super close to picking some up before I came off the streets. I was going to go to steel plates for durability and the low likelihood I would need them on patrol. If I was SWAT I would go for something lighter and deal with the maintenance issues.

You could also look at it like give him a series of things as he passes milestones. Flashlight for starting the academy (or a boot polishing kit). Start of FTO a nice watch (maybe more for off duty use unless it is a really rugged one). End of FTO a nice off duty gun. Off probation a nice holster.

LilCop2002, pgg00 and fg17 like this.

3. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977

Congrats. I'd probably buy a G19 for my kid if the Dept. approved it or they didn't issue. if he wanted an off duty I'd buy him a P365.

I mean you can buy him gear but what new copper doesn't want a gun instead?

Ohio Cop and fg17 like this.
  4. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

https://www.copsplus.com/uncle-mikes-body-armor-holster

and i wore mine like this (below). he will have to replace it every 8-10 years. I went through 3 with a steel kahr k40. Only works if his shirts are zippered, which is usually on his dime as an option with some depts. I preferred the 4 inch wide strap over the double 2 inchers.

PS tylenol, bottles of anti-acid, tape white-out,
    [​IMG]

and stanley 20oz, push to release open coffee mug
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    fg17 likes this.
  5. fg17

fg17

Thanks for all the replies, a lot to think about. His issued duty gun is a Glock 17 or 19. They are also supplied with an AR and all other duty gear is purchased by the department. From what I understand they are pretty open about back up guns and off duty guns but they have to qualify with them same as their duty gun, so it would have to be a gun he can shoot well.

CAcop likes this.
  6. Rezdawg

Rezdawg

Guns are awesome gifts, if they are within policy or will be used.

I personally believe he would benefit more from a Tourniquet, a Tourniquet holster, a leatherman, a nice pocket knife like the Kershaw Blur or if you wanna spend the money an Emerson CqC-15. Flashlights are also really nice, streamlight stylus are an amazing light that can fit in the shirt pocket.

When I graduated from the academy my dad gave me my grandfathers cuffs, a week in his timeshare, and a Gould and Goodrich ankle holster. When I returned to work a few months ago after a lengthy sabbatical my dad gave me a Glock 27 I sold him.

A friend of mine just graduated from an academy, I gave him a pair of Hyatt cuffs, a Blur, and a streamlight stylus.

Newcop761, LilCop2002, CAcop and 2 others like this.
  7. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

A nice pair of Damascus patrol gloves.

Touch screen phones kind of killed wearing gloves years ago. But now they make some that work with touch screens.

When I started I used to wear my gloves most of the shift.

fg17 likes this.
  8. Orive 8

Orive 8

If it was my son, it would definitely be a BUG! Like someone has mentioned, find out what is approved/authorized and get him a BUG or give him the money to buy it himself.

In the past, I don't know if it still is; it was a kind of a tradition that family members pooled $ together to buy a new officer his off-duty or back up gun.

9. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

a GOOD flashlight goes a long way on patrol. rest assured what he is issued will be trash. I carry a small NITECORE one 24/7, and have a much larger NITECORE one I keep charged up and ready for night shift. issued flashlight stays in the car as a last resort type of deal.

likewise a good knife can speak volumes. firearms youre getting into murky ground, if it's even allowed. here they are not. I carry a BENCHMADE SOCP dagger on my weak side pocket. it's cheap, and designed for one purpose and that is to kill if needed, period. it's opened a can of dip here and there but it is very clear it has one purpose.

I have a boot knife on each boot as well. again, one purpose when needed. my 4th knife I carry on duty, as well as off, is a MICROTECH ultratech. it is an out the front automatic opener. as such it can be opened ambidextrously even in heat of the moment. no complicated motions needed. they also have a nice program where LE/FD/.MIL get discounts, with a special run of colors... LE is obviously blue. I carry this on and off duty, and it is an excellent knife. utmost quality.

check it out here https://microtechknives.com/service-personnel-program/

fg17 likes this.
  10. Detectorist

Detectorist

Congrats to your son, OP!!!

You already gave him the best gift of all: being a good Dad.

fg17 likes this.
  11. CAcop

CAcop

Good idea here and it reminded me of a good addition to my gear that happened late in my career. Someone gave me a multitool for Christmas one year. I threw it in my gear bag and it helped me out so many times.

fg17 likes this.
  12. apphunter

apphunter

warrior rack to keep the uniform and duty gear organized/

fg17 likes this.
  13. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

That’s awesome! My son just started his military LE journey with the same plan in mind. He was part of a HS program that did PT daily with local Police Academy recruits and had a class curriculum taught by a local officer and he also served. He told my son the knife he carries has been with him from the Army forward through his career in PD.

We got him a good quality pocket knife and had his initials laser engraved on the blade.

I like the leatherman idea because, like me, he is cheap and would buy himself a lower quality version. If I let my wife pick it out he will absolutely get the top of the line.

Congratulations

fg17 likes this.
  14. DNA

DNA

iirc Leatherman has a generous LE discount.

Dan

fg17 likes this.
  15. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Wait until he is on his own, for big gifts. Take him to dinner, for now. After FTO, he will have a better idea what would be most useful.

fg17 likes this.