Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think?

0827181604.jpg

He's starting Middle School this fall, and I thought it was that time. It's a rite of passage in every boy's life to get their first knife. It was for me, now it will be for him.

I chose the Buck 110 because it's a classic, and I want him to appreciate the traditional folders of our forefathers. Also got him a sharpener to go with it.

All told, it was $51.98. No tax, because I bought it in Oregon.

My only gripe was that I bought it at Dick's Sporting Goods. In my defense, I was tired and not aware at the moment that they had a very ugly ban on ARs. I had a feeling it was them that I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember for certain as I was walking around the store.

Surely enough....no AR's on their shelves, and hardly anyone in the store. Good customer service though. But I won't be shopping in the future at Dick's.

All in all, a very good day indeed! Also met a friend of mine, a former police officer, whom I haven't seen in 15 years. We had a good long 2+ hour coffee sit-down at Black Rock Coffee. Talked about a ton of things, and I learned quite a lot about him, and about things past. Too much to list here.

Anyways....here's hoping he likes the knife!

·
Registered
26,836 Posts
Yep, a classic. Available at Wal-Mart for $27.88, if I recall correctly.

·
Mentally Frozen
27,284 Posts
I had a Buck 110 since 1972 when I was in the Navy that I bequeathed to my Grandson. Lost it once on a cow trail and went back for it retracing my footsteps. Saw Chuck Buck give a Prayer breakfast speech at an NRA convention before he passed away.
A great man and great knives.

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:frown:

I...umm.

Dammit.

Well, like hell if I'm driving 20 miles back to Gresham to get my money back.

·
Registered
26,836 Posts
Don't feel bad. I bought one a few months ago and I can't find it. Grrrrr

·
Mentally Frozen
27,284 Posts
Maybe the smaller one, but the 110 folding Hunter runs in the mid $40 on up at Wally World that I've seen.

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s a great gift for a boy that age... just make sure he doesn’t take it to school to show his friends or the SWAT team will be called to drag him down the hall and into the back of the “Caged Cruiser”.
Oh yes. Believe you me, we're gonna have a sit-down talk about what is expected of him and the responsibilities of having a knife. One of the rules: under no circumstances is he allowed to take it to school.

Maybe the smaller one, but the 110 folding Hunter runs in the mid $40 on up at Wally World that I've seen.
I paid $39.99 for this one.

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did it come with the leather or nylon sheath?

The ones with leather are getting harder to find.
Unfortunately, it came with a nylon sheath. Gonna see if I can find a leather Buck 110 sheath somewhere for him. At his age though, nylon is likely the better choice: less concern about abuse and getting dinged up. But I would like to get him a leather sheath so that he can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes with the total package.

·
Registered
15,698 Posts
I want him to appreciate the traditional folders of our forefathers.
Our forefathers? More like, us.

I'm more a Case guy when it comes to 'traditional folders of our forefathers,' but I've had a couple Buck folders like that before and they cut things same as anything else pretty much. Nice gift, make sure he gets some safety education and a box of bandaids.

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our forefathers? More like, us.

I'm more a Case guy when it comes to 'traditional folders of our forefathers,' but I've had a couple Buck folders like that before and they cut things same as anything else pretty much. Nice gift, make sure he gets some safety education and a box of bandaids.
lol, thanks. Yeah..."forefathers" may have been a little much. Should have just left it at "traditional folder". :animlol:

·
Banned
5,724 Posts
Nice knife!

True story about Dick's: I recently bought a knife there and they asked me to show ID to prove that I'm above 18.

Apparently I look like a kid. I suppose I should take that as a compliment, I've been feeling old lately...

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice knife!

True story about Dick's: I recently bought a knife there and they asked me to show ID to prove that I'm above 18.

Apparently I look like a kid. I suppose I should take that as a compliment, I've been feeling old lately...
They did the same thing to me....asked for my birth date, but not my ID.

I'm 35, but I look like I'm in my 40s, lmao. It was not a compliment. :animlol:

·
one two three get loose now
4,924 Posts
Unfortunately, it came with a nylon sheath. Gonna see if I can find a leather Buck 110 sheath somewhere for him. At his age though, nylon is likely the better choice: less concern about abuse and getting dinged up. But I would like to get him a leather sheath so that he can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes with the total package.
You can buy them directly from BUCK through their website.

The nylon sheath is perfectly serviceable. They came about because of stores like Walmart demanding lower prices and clamshell packaging, both accomplished with the nylon sheath.

Lucky nephew. :cheers:

·
Registered
26,836 Posts
I just called. They increased the price to 34.95. Since the last time I looked.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts