Prescription shooting glasses or other ideas

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ncglock19, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ncglock19

ncglock19

I thought about putting this in the Optics forum but it didn't seem to fit. Hoping I get some suggestions here. I couldn't find the right forum for it.

I wear prescription lenses, and noticed at the range last night that I was pulling my gun closer to me in order to be able to focus on the front sight. I was worried I might need an eye test, but I had just had my glasses adjusted and they were closer to my eyes. I got my old stance back by dropping them down on my nose a bit, and the front sight came back into focus.

I was wondering if anyone else had sight issues, and how they overcame them. I wear small lens glasses and have thought about getting a pair of prescription shooting glasses to add more eye protection.

Would really appreciate hearing from those of you who have dealt with issues like this.

joe

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Have you thought of XS Sight Systems' Big Dot sights?

This really should have been posted in the "Sights, Optics, Lasers" forum.
    So,...if it gets moved or locked.......

3. Taykaim

Taykaim NRA Member

Its late and I might be answering a question other than what you asked, but anyway:
    I've always paid the bit extra to have all my glasses made with poly 2, so I never had to worry that I wasn't in protective lenses. However, for running around in a match, I did notice myself pushing my glasses up my nose some. I found the best fix for glasses issues was to just get a pair of prescription polycarbonate 2 sport goggles. Many people sell such things, and your local glasses place probably also has a whole bunch of them if you ask about it. If your wallet can stand it I recommend getting dark tinted lenses, clear or light (night tinting), and transitions for general use. For this use, I prefer the kind that comes with a strap or band to keep it in place. Also, most eye doctor places make it possible to pay for this kind of stuff with FSA money (pre-tax $'s) if that matters to you.

If by chance your local eye doctor doesn't have a whole range of sport goggles you can get in your prescription (highly unlikely), then just google "prescription shooting glasses" and you'll see plenty of vendors eager for your business.

4. TNXB21

TNXB21

5. rich n

rich n

Have the same problem, I'm nearsighted so with my prescription on I couldn't see my sights so the eyedoc suggested sportglasses with a bi-focal. Now I can focus on my sights and see the target in the distance. Theese things are awesome and they're not your grandaddys bi-focals either( no visable lines).Liberty Sport.com

6. ncglock19

ncglock19

Thanks guys, having this problem embarrasses me for some reason. I appreciate the feedback.

joe

7. sgt rock

sgt rock

They do make safety glasses that have a bi-focal in them with different powers, 1.5 , 2.0 etc. pretty cheap $ also.

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i had a pair made for shooting. right lens to see the sights and left for the target. i'm 20/15 but can't see close to read, or the sights very well. anyway 500$ later the new glasses didn't improve my shooting and were hard to wear other than the actual shooting.

9. TOMMYT22

TOMMYT22 Average Fellow

Can you wear contact lenses? then you can get any kind of shooting glasses you want. I never thought I could keep them in my eyes, but the are quite comfortable when you get used to them. Saves on sun glasses also.

10. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I don't know what your prescription is, near or far sighted. I am near sighted, so with my glasses on the front sight is too close to focus on. I want to Walmart and bought a pair of stick on bifocal lenses. They are soft plastic lenses with a slight + power moulded into them. I took a sharp pair of scisors and cut the top edge of one in a curve to match the top edge of my glasses so I could put it at the top, inside edge of my right lens. Now I have a 1.25x bifocal right where I look through to see the sights when I shoot in Weaver stance. If you shoot Iscocelese stance you would need to move it over a little to the middle of the lens. I can drive in them because when looking straight ahead the new bifocal is up high and mostly out of the way and I am looking through my main distance prescription.

[​IMG]

They look like these, only they cost $8.00 instead of hundreds.

11. wired

wired

thanks rons, just what I need

12. armorplated

armorplated

If you have Rx glasses made for shooting, tell your doc to make your master eye lens (your aiming eye) corrected for mid range. That would be for your front sight. You should (ask his permission first) take your handgun into the office so he can measure for the corrected distance. The other lens would be your distance Rx.

13. RickD6023

RickD6023

My distance vision is still great but I wear glasses for reading and computer work. To solve my seeing the front site clearly I bought the ESS ICE with the prescription insert. I have progressive lenses for regular and now for shooting. My eye doctor took the time to prepare the script to my stance/grip so that my front site is in focus when I look through the heart of my lense. Yes - he had me hold my G22 while he took his readings.

It pays even though it costs a bit to set up.

14. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I wear no-line bifocals and the problem is that distance focus is limited to a relatively small spot in the center of the lens. That fact that I am cross eye dominant (right handed shooter with a dominant left eye) only makes this worse.

I just bought a new pair of single vision glasses in January. I picked the biggest lens size I could find that wasn't totally dorky and selected a light brown tint (blue blocker). These glasses provide better eye protection and so far I am having a much easier time shooting with them.

I am really looking forward to trying them on the trap line.

15. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I told my eye Doctor about my problem as I wear trifocals with the line.
    I always have to hold my head in different ways to see the sights.
    He spent some extra time with me, gave me an intermediate Rx. for my master eye and distance for my other eye. I made up a pair of glasses with this Rx. It works out perfect. Only thing is I have to carry my regular specks to do any reading.

16. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I was having a hard time being able to focus on the front sights with my old bi-focals. The reading part of the lense was for focusing on things too close, and the distant part of the lens on things further away than the sight. I have since gone from the bifocal to progressive lenses, and now I can find a sweet-spot in the lens to focus on the front sight although it takes a little tilting of the head, so not much help with speed shooting as it's another motion added to the act.

Bad news is that I'm still a crappy shot, and now have one less excuse for my "open choke" groupings!:supergrin:

For skeet / trap shooting I've got a pair of Decot Hy-Wyds with amber and violet lenses...they really help and put the optical center of the lense higher up to allow fast mounting the gun and focusing on the "birds". Only drawback is that the lenses are large diameter, so if you have a strong RX, they are pretty thick and heavy, even with poly lenses.

May have to develope a "touch of arthritis" in my trigger finger or something as my next ploy to explain my lack of marksmanship.:whistling: