close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Prescription drug shortage?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M2 Carbine, Nov 26, 2012.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Anyone hearing about a prescription drug shortage?

I mentioned a couple times on GT that I tore both my shoulders and had the first one (left) operated on in Oct.

Before Oct I was taking four prescriptions a day(getting old sucks, 74).

Before Oct Wal Mart didn't have enough pills to fill one of the prescriptions. I had to go back about a week later to get the remainder.

In Oct, again Wal Mart couldn't completely fill my two additional prescriptions (pain pills) after the operation.

Today at Wal Mart while I was waiting about five minutes to renew my pain pill prescription, two different ladies in front of me were told that they (Wal Mart) did not have enough pills to fill the prescriptions.

It's got me wondering. What's going on when a giant corporation like Wal Mart can't get all the prescription medicine they need.

I can see running out once in a while but the last four times I was there, there was a shortage.:dunno:

2. Andy123

Andy123

Welcome to the new normal.

Have you thought about changing pharmacies to one that charges a buck more, but actually has the drugs to sell you?

3. nursetim

nursetim

I have an app on my iPhone dedicated to the subject. More common than it was a decade ago. I have extremely low expectations of what our medical system will evolve into.

4. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

I KNOW WHAT IT EVOLVES TO , got a letter today my BCBS is going up 40 bucks more a month !!!:steamed::steamed:

starting in jan . im now paying 580 bucks a month .

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Where is the pharmacy that is $1 more than Wal Mart?

WM is $10 for a three month prescription.

What used to cost me about $200 a month, at WM costs $40 for three months.

I fully expect the whole medical system to go to hell under obama care. We will probably envy England's mess.

My doctor for years has already said if obama care isn't stopped he is going to retire early.

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I got a letter from Blue Cross last week saying it's going up.

I'm afraid that's just the first shot.

7. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

I AGREE , funny i got same letter about this same time last year stating going up 40 bucks :steamed::steamed:

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I had trouble getting my injectable Toradol filled this summer. Walgreens could not get it and they said it was on indefinite backorder so they didn't know when they would be able to get it. After they tried a while (and before I ran out!) they called one day and told me that they had transferred my 'script to Target and it would be ready as soon as I got there. I hated Target so I picked up the refill and the next month I transferred it somewhere else.

I work in the medical field and there are multiple drugs that hospitals are running out of right now. Sometimes they are backordered for a short time and others they aren't sure when they will get.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Now what is strange, some time back within this year' Blue Cross reduced mine. Only a few bucks but a reduction when I was expecting a increase.:dunno:

10. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

something else strange , im on a grandfather plan , and they have been hounding me to update . so i gotta look into this more but sounds fishy or filthy to me :dunno::dunno:

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'm thinking about Wal Mart's giant buying power.
    Like if WM can't get something it must be scarce.

12. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

thats scary , plus i take 9 precrips daily . :faint::faint:

13. Doc Mac

Doc Mac Millennium Member

It's not just pills. Drugs used in surgery and antibiotic (IV) drugs are often in short supply. As a previous poster stated, welcome to your new normal. I recommend stocking up on what you can, when you can. Just sayin.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  14. nursetim

nursetim

I stopped my meds and dropped my insurance. At the risk of sounding hippy dippy, I'm putting better food in my body and getting off my fat azz. It's working. I've had my will tested several times since starting. Just the afternoon, the break room at the new job was filled will wonderful smelling pizza. I held strong though.

This works for my problems though. I'd be singing a different tune if I were in pain. Wait, I am in pain, neuropathy, my stupid prize for the stupid game I played with my DM. Lyrica works but is expensive as all get out. I'll figure it out.

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'm a believer in stocking up a lot, ammo, food, etc. If for no other reason than everything increases in price. (at Wal Mart today I saw can food that's increased in price 90-100% in a couple years)

Trouble is, as far as I know Doctors will only write out a three month prescription.

You have to be careful doing this.
    As expensive as meds are and sometimes with bad side effects, stopping them can hurt or kill you.
    A little while back a good friend was suddenly down and in right bad shape in the hospital.
    I told him, "You stopped taking your high blood pressure meds, didn't you?"
    He had, with the excuse, "They weren't doing any good".
    I said, "Well they were keeping you out of this hospital bed".

But I think we all wonder if we are sometimes over medicated.

16. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

It still comes through a distributor and when the distributor can't get something, it all trickles downhill.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Could also be that Wal Mart can't get it at the price they want.

18. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

We didn't have a few drugs on the trucks at all for several months, and some of them are still pretty spotty.

19. Paul53

Paul53 Authorized SKYNET Distributor.

My expensive meds like Humira injection, $1000 per pop, twice a month are plentiful.

Cheaper meds like Methotrexate injection, $35 for a 3 month supply is only stocked by Sam's Club (of all places!) locally (a city of about 600,000 people and only one supplier).

Other than the Methotrexate, I stick with Wal Mart. I must forego convenience to save $. When I shop Wal Mart I notice low stock throughout the store, not just the pharmacy. I'm guessing they're trying to avoid having large amounts of stock in stores, tying up their money.

20. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

It's all of the precursor chemicals being imported from China. Their QA was slipping badly. They are contaminated and can not be used in U.S. Pharmaceuticals.