Prescribed sleeping pills?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adjuster, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Adjuster

Adjuster

Anyone taking any type of doctor prescribed pill? I have been having a terrible time falling asleep and my doctor prescribed Temazepam. It sucks, no help what so ever. Cold/allergy medicine is more effective. I asked about Ambien but the doctor is afraid to prescribe it because of all the horror stories.

/

nursetim likes this.
  2. kiole

kiole

Have you had a sleep study done?

3. jaysonL

jaysonL

I took sleep meds for almost ten years. I tried several, including Ambien. It's knock your socks off powerful. Like, take it and lay down. So it's really addictive. So I tried to not go that route. I found an anxiety med called "elavil" that worked really good. It was non habit forming and it didn't alter your natural sleep function like ambien. It has its own side effects so definitely keep in touch with your doctor. But it allowed me to sleep and it was awesome.

4. Dragline

Dragline

Low dose Xanax can often be helpful just for getting calm and drowsy prior to sleep and for many will not produce the side effects and drug hangover produced by such drugs as Ambien.

5. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

All of my life, I've suffered from lack of sleep. I've had many, many nights with 2 or 3 hours at best, and this issue had been going on since childhood.

I've been on ambien for a few years, now, and for me, it's wonderful stuff. 6 to 7 hour nights are now ordinary. I can focus, stay awake, and my eyes don't "burn" anymore. And there is no Ambien hangover. It burns out of your system in only 4 hours.

Don't listen to the horror stories. Work with your doc. If what you're taking isn't working, try something else. Lack of sleep sucks, and I wish I wouldn't have had to wait until I was nearly 50 to find an answer.

Life is good.

goldenlight likes this.
  6. Adjuster

Adjuster

Yeh I am in the process of job transfer, moving across Florida and buying a house so it could be just stress. I get tired and drowsy but the second I lay down I get all kind of weird fidgety like flailing my arms and legs and tugging at my clothes. Like restless leg syndrome but all over. I have restless body syndrome. I swear it seems like I am having bad withdrawls from something or I have somehow poisoned myself. But there have been no changes I am aware of.

/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  7. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

You have Restless Leg Syndrome. (I live in that world, too. I guess I'm a little messed up)

Again, tell your doc that you have those issues. He can help you.

8. jaysonL

jaysonL

You might have obstructive sleep apnea. I have that and it's one of the most un diagnosed conditions in the world. Talk to your dr about a sleep study.

9. Zukoda

Zukoda

I have been taking Lunesta for several years now. The last 6 months, I have been cutting them in half. I got on them working 3rd shift years ago and hope to be off them within another 3 months...

goldenlight and kaisooba like this.
  10. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

Before going the prescription route, have you tried Melatonin? It is a non=prescription supplement that helps you fall asleep. Your body produces it naturally, but your cycles can get messed up due to a number of factors (stress, etc).

Resqu2, Sniffler and ScarFace88 like this.
  11. elsolo

elsolo

If you take Ambient, just go right to bed when you take the pill. If you wait around to feel sleepy, you might get mystery packages from eBay or amazon a few days later full of surprises.

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This was my experience. I tried it once, waited a few hours and wife told me I started cooking at around 2am. She was less than thrilled that I was using a wood cutting board as a frying pan on the gas range. HH

13. vart

vart

I've been having bouts of insomnia the past month or so as well and it's been awful...

I have Tylenol PM which is hit or miss and also some all-natural stuff that has a blend of melatonin and other homeopathic ingredients. That stuff seems to work pretty well. But, I took a double-dose during one nasty incident and slept through my alarm. Boss was not thrilled.

14. Equus Pallidus

Equus Pallidus

I S**t you not. One officer was having problems sleeping so the doc gave him ambien. He had no idea how much time it took to take effect so he took it when his shift was over and he could make it back to Mississippi before it took effect , he thought. He woke up on third street in downtown sleeping across his seat still in uniform in the middle of the afternoon.

15. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

Btdt x bunches.
    When Reallife setles down a bit, I'll PM you with my imput, inas much Ive battled it for my entire life, truly, as far back as pre-kindergarten.
    Hope this doesn't double+ post. Having wonky connection issues.

16. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

I just took a 12 MG Melatonin. Even a 3 MG will work for me for several years now... In about 20 minutes after ingestion you will begin to feel drowsy... and you'd should be ready for bed.

Resqu2 likes this.
  17. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

I may try the melotonin, I can't get more than a couple of hours of sleep either! It's very frustrating being so tired you can't keep your eyes open and getting into bed and being wide awake! Then I start looking at the clock counting down if I fall asleep now I'll get this many hours of sleep but never actually sleeping!

Sniffler likes this.
  18. NDcent

NDcent Socially Inept

19. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu

20. elsolo

elsolo

Melatonin makes me fall asleep, but I wake up three hours later like it is morning time.

Haven't tried really large doses though.

Being a natural hormone, I have worries that repeated heavy supplementation might affect natural production.