Prepping - Less Thought of Items

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by wjv, Feb 14, 2020.

1. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

I have most everything I need if this virus does impact us in any significant way. If thing start heating up I'll probably pick up even some more staples as long as I don't have to fight mobs of people at the store. But if I can't I won't be hurting. My final item is to refill all of my empty gas cans and add a shot of Stabil to each. My Yamaha generator doesn't do well without gas. . .

These past few weeks I've been adding some non critical items. Picked up:
    - Paper plate - No need to waste water cleaning plates
    - Cooking oil and Olive oil - Olive oil has flavor and can be used to add some taste to pasta and other foods. Cooking oil is needed for most baking
    - Spices (chili powder, ground pepper, garlic, mix of mediterranean spices and garlic salt)
    - Canned tomato products - diced, sauces, paste. Again to add flavor to pasta
    - Powdered butter
    - Yeast
    - Canned beans - Mix a half can in with rice to add protein, fiber and taste
    - Couple cases of the pudding cups (36 to a case). A treat to have now and then when you are faced with having rice and beans yet again :)
    - Powdered Brown Gravy
    - Bouillon cubes

I'm expecting that a lot of our meals would be rice & beans or pasta. I also have about 100 #10 cans of various dehydrated foods, and many many pouches of mountain house meals. I realize that much of what I have is not "essential" to survival, but having some variety help maintain moral. Being able to add some flavor to the pasta or to the rice and beans to break up the monotony can be a good thing. Hey! The rice is chicken flavored today!!!!

- I also need to dig up my wide mouth thermos jars and print out some cooking time info and instructions from:
    https://theboatgalley.com/thermos-cooking/
    and
    https://offgridsurvival.com/cooking-with-a-thermos/

- I also realized that I have 3 full 20# propane tanks from my now defunct camper. So I went on amazon and picked up a converter hose so I can use those 20# tanks to run my camp stove, which normally uses the 1# bottles. The hose was only $9.

- Got some more Duct tape and 3 mill plastic sheeting.

- I have a wife and 2 daughters so if it applies to your family, don't forget the feminine hygiene products.

- OTC drugs that you depend on like antacids, pain meds, stool softeners, Imodium, anti gas, tums or any other OTCs that you normally use.

- Flu meds - Preferably the king that has cough suppression, breaks up mucus, anti congestion. Dollar tree is a good place for these. I also bought powdered electrolytes (Propel)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0789FRV55/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It is know that this virus can cause severe diarrhea in some people. You use the Imodium to stop the diarrhea, and then the electrolytes to re-hydrate the patient. Ideally you would use a IV to re-hydrate, but since most of us don't have access to those kinds of medical supplies, electrolytes are the next best thing. Powdered Gatorade also has electrolytes, but cost more than the Propel.

Anybody else have some lesser thought of prep items? If so, please list them!!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Don't buy tomatoes in cans for long term use,the acid will eat thru the cans.Remember cooking beans/rice is resource intensive in both heat/water usage.

Also keep soy sauce and hot sauce for both.A wide variety of spices can turn around bland meals.

Store instant tater and cornbread mixes.A round of cornbread with cinnamon/jalepenos/pineapple can turn the bland around.The problem with a bland diet is folk won't want to eat.In a prep scenario a persons caloric intake needs to increase.Stress can deplete the body of vits/minerals.

We store Nature Made stuff,multis/Bs/Cs and there are a ton of natural supps that are good anti-biotics.Cinammon/Milk thistle/Honey/Garlic ect.

Also simple spare parts for guns/radios,the ability to chg batts for scanners/2-way radios.Bill,look up Deputy Dave here on GT and follow his SEP link.S/P board here has really slowed down,his board is more active.I usta be a mod there.'08.

NoStress likes this.

3. Aceman

Aceman

I was gonna say Hot Sauce too! Lotsof things are edible if spicy enough.

Also - cough suppressants over-the-counter = fail. Almost all doctors will tell you they don't work. The kind the doctor gives you work because they actually suppress your respiration.

Get markers and masking tape to date everything you are buying.

Hygiene, hygiene, hygiene!!!! Just a stock of the basics: Soap, hand liquid, anti-bacterial hand wipes. Etc...

NoStress likes this.
  4. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

anti-bacterial hand wipes ==> Clorox wipes
    Clorox liquid.
    Bleach is what the Army used when I was in, to kill biologicals......
    Don't forget lyson spray, or dish tubs of bleach to walk through, so you do not track germs inside.

5. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

I would suggest adding corn. Like rice, it's makes a complete protein when combined with beans, but has more flavor

6. NoStress

NoStress

Entertainment. If one has to remain cooped up for any amount of time then it would good to have fun. Maybe hobby items. Perhaps training material to start learning something you have always wanted to learn but have never found time for.

686 AR15 G17Fan likes this.
  7. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

One item less thought about...

"Two masked thieves in Hong Kong were arrested Monday after holding a delivery man at knife-point and stealing hundreds of rolls (600) of toilet paper, as panic over a lack of supplies grows..."

8. bdcochran

bdcochran

1. baby bottles. you really don't want to sit up and drink fluids. avoids breaking glass. avoids spills.
    2. deck of cards and books to read.
    3. UN hydration salts - made in only one factory in MO. or buy electrolytic water solutions or make them.
    4. cleaning supplies beyond soaps. you have plenty of time on your hands. i was cleaning the kitchen oven today.
    5. get the meds and dental work out of the way.
    6. put your cleaning of home sink handles/door knobs/light switches/car steering wheel and door handles on a regular schedule. Mine is on Sundays. I use isopropyl alcohol which I buy by the gallon and I don't spend the money on brand name cleaners. Just spray on. No messing with soap and water and drying handles and knobs.
    7. keep a supply of disposable gloves in the car and use them on gasoline pump handles. they are rarely cleaned and are used continuously by people while a gasoline station is open.

9. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

Talk it over with your doctor. There are many meds available that could be critical in SHTF, but are available by prescription only.

If your doctor trusts you, he might even give you a SMALL supply of a decent pain killer like morphine, and a broad spectrum antibiotic. Prescription strength anti nausea, anti heartburn and anti anxiety drugs could also make your time in your shelter less stressful.

And ask your doctor what vitamin and mineral supplements to stock. Some are far better than others.

10. NoStress

NoStress

Upgrade the first aid kit if needed and have a really good first aid book on hand. A wound stapler and surgical sutures so you can repair yourself and stay out of the emergency room. I got a stapler at a medical supply place a lot cheaper than the one in the link below. I bought a couple pair of specialty tweezers with different shaped long points for removing splinters. They are made in Pakistan but are pretty good quality and priced right. I have used them several times and they are sure a great thing to have when you need them. I have had to sew myself up twice with button and carpet thread. The big straight needle was far worse than the big thread. I would have done a better job and put in more stiches with the right stuff. Finger splints, and any other first aid items needed for a top notch first aid kit. A trip to the thrift store for a pair of crutches and a walker maybe. Spare parts to fix anything you rely on. Anything needed to keep you out of town. It would be good to have an extra of anything you really need. In Texas once a stray dog ran off with my work boots I left out on the porch. I found one in the yard but went boot shopping barefoot.

https://www.ad-surgical.com/medical...083c4f34ba681ea7a6c0117f6c4456ec#.XkvWOjHsbIU

https://mfimedical.com/products/con...tegy - Bing Shopping&utm_content=All Products

11. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

High concentration isopropyl alcohol. Cheap lighter fluid and wound sanitizer. Also, don’t understand toilet paper. If I were in an emergency scenario I’d want wet wipes.... inexpensive in bulk.

12. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

Dog food. Can’t forget about our furry friends either. I have a couple hundred pounds that gets rotated to stay fairly fresh.

Even though it doesn’t taste great if you get hungry enough it can feed you too.

13. flyover

flyover

Some of the wet wipes are not septic friendly.

NoStress likes this.
  14. NoStress

NoStress

FullClip and flyover like this.
  15. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

Right, however discussing emergency situations the flushable ones should be biodegradable enough to compost or something I’m sure.
    The OP mentioned saving water in his concern.

16. bubbatime

bubbatime

I think the second cheapest meal option that you can buy a lot of for cheap, is dry pancake mix. You can rotate pancakes into your rotation a few times a week instead of rice and beans every night. Don't forget a couple gallons of pancake syrup too.

17. flyover

flyover

Bury or dry and burn.

wiskeyVI likes this.
  18. tom mac

tom mac

keep a supply of disposable gloves in the car and use them on gasoline pump handles. they are rarely cleaned and are used continuously by people while a gasoline station is open.

I carry in the car disinfectant wipes , actually the wife puts them there, but I use them after at pump... the pumps usu are just plain dirty... but above is a good preventative too.

As to wet wipes, costco now has flush-able versions that work well but NOT as good as the regular ones you can actually wash with before throwing out. If it comes to that, they'll just go into the outhouse hole. ( have actual plan to convert wooden shed to outhouse if needed )

19. flyover

flyover

Several of the stations here have cheap gloves and hand sanitizer at the fuel pumps and then others don't. :brickwall:

20. flyover

flyover