Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand I can mail a long gun, but I'm not sure what to expect when I go to the post office.

Do I tell them what is in the package when I purchase insurance?
Do I need a copy of the FFL the gun is going to for verification?
Should I have the package all buttoned up when I get there, or will they want to inspect?

Just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row and know what will happen when I go to ship this thing...

Thanks.

·
Leonum A Ignis
3,381 Posts
I don't think you can send a gun via USPS.

Gotta go UPS or Fed-Ex.

·
NRA Life Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - I'm just trying to figure out what I may need or expect when I drop this off.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Package should be sealed & ready to go, just to save time.
You are not required to let them inspect it, I've never been asked by the PO in many years of mailing long guns.

You are not required to advise the PO of contents on a firearm, but I always do. I want no question about anything being used to deny a loss claim later on. I'm always totally upfront with them.

You may run into a counter clerk who doesn't know the regs. If you're told the long gun cannot be mailed, insist on getting a supervisor. I've only had to do that once.

Make damn sure the gun is NOT LOADED, and DO NOT INCLUDE ANY LIVE AMMO in the same container.

I've never been asked to provide an FFL copy for the receiver, but you never know.
It's not required that you prove to them the other end can legally receive the gun.
If they insist, ask for a supervisor.

Denis

·
Registered
494 Posts
Be prepared to do some convincing. I took a rifle to the PO to mail person to person intrastate.
PO: You need a license to mail that.
Me: No I don't.
PO: Yeah you do. You gotta have a license.
Me: BATF says it's OK.
PO: What's BATF?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have educated more than one postal employee on their own regs, there's always the possibility of running into it.
Denis

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Do yourself a favor, and print off the postal regs (pertaining to shipping a long gun) for the clerk. Some post offices rarely at best have someone come in to ship an item like this, so they have to track down their policy/procedures (not their fault, anything that you don't use often gets rusty). That being said, use insurance & delivery confirmation, and no worries. Have done this once before and it went smoothly.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Put a copy of the receiving FFL in the box and bring a copy with you. I still think it's easier and probably no more expensive to send vis UPS.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mailing is substantially cheaper than shipping via either UPS or Fedex, that's why I do it.

And- UPS is the only outfit that's ever cut open one of my gun packages to inspect what was in the box.
Denis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts