Preparing for Deer Season

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by Reagan40, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Reagan40

Reagan40

I am anxiously awaiting shot gun season. I may break out the bow agian this year, but I really am looking forward to shotgun season. I was wondering if anyone knows of some good places to hunt. I used to hunt at Wilbur Wright in New Castle, but never saw a single deer. It was also a bit crowded. Everywhere I looked, there was orange. I switched to hunting on a family friends private land, but last year I found a HUGE pile of bait. I don't really want to go back there if they are baiting. Any suggestions for places in central IN that are not over crowded, and where there are actually deer?

2. Scutter01

Scutter01

I have a bunch living in my "back 40", but my wife will definitely have something to say about hunting them. :supergrin:

3. Reagan40

Reagan40

What she doesnt know, won't hurt her!!!:rofl:

Just kidding.

4. Gump

Gump Guest

I prefer to call it rifle season now! :2gun:

5. Reagan40

Reagan40

Great... I guess I need to buy a new gun now. I have only skimmed the new rifle rules. I will probably have to use my shot gun this year. I have a 30-06 and an AR in .223. It doesnt look like those will work.

6. epsylum

epsylum Guest

Nope. Pistol calibers from .357mag to .500mag (.460mag is too big). You may want to wait. Pretty much any gun legal for the new law is in short supply right now. The H&R .500mag single shots have been FLYING off the shelves. If you wait until say next spring you should will probably get a better deal and better selection.

I got a Winchester 94 Ranger Compact in .357mag last fall-ish before the new law passed. I got it just for fun at the range as I don't hunt, but this hubbub over the new law has got me thinking... ;)

7. Rhinodogg

Rhinodogg Crooked Member

I bought one of the 500's a while back. It's a shooter. Ammo is out-freakin-rageously expensive.

8. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

One word: reload.

9. Gump

Gump Guest

I always thought the better 12ga. Sabot slugs were "out-freakin-rageously expensive" at $2.00 each! I'll be glad to shooting .44mag instead.

10. prism

prism more ammo

this summer I talked to the owner of a local gunshop. he said he couldn't find any marlin .44's anywhere to buy (from distributors), and he had called all over the country, not just Indiana.

today I stopped in again, and he said the H&R .44's and .500's were now hard to find. he had a couple of the .44's and one last .500 in stock. I handled the .500 and was tempted. :)