Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 556 Posts
A smartphone is a major EDC for me and you can trade in your old iPhone at Radio Shack and Best Buy. I traded a couple of 8GB 3Gs at Radio Shack and they gave me $100 each for them towards a couple of $200 16GB 4Gs, total cost of $100 per phone. Vastly improved smartphone.

If you don't mind waiting a loooong time for free delivery, and have no moral objection to doing business with a Hong Kong business, this Outdoor Portable Ultra Mini Stainless Steel Gas Stove with a Case (around $8) is a great deal. It's built well, and performs as well as my $40 LiteMax stoves. Locally, I found isobutane canisters pretty cheap at WalMart. I use the combination on some of my backpacking trips, but they have served me well during two extended power outages over the past Spring and Summer.

If you shop around on eBay, the Quansheng TG-UV2 multi band transceiver is a pretty good deal, at around $70 ~ $90. FM: 88-108MHz (RX); VHF: 136-174MHz (RX/TX); UHF1: 350-390MHz (RX/TX); UHF2: 400-470MHz (RX/TX); UHF3: 470-520MHz (RX). It's great for listening to local chatter, at the low setting folks can legally TX on MURS without a license, and these have since started replacing the similar Yaesu radios at one of my job sites, for use on our leased UHF frequency.

If you're thinking of EDC or backup smartphone, and get decent coverage from the Sprint network, Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus V Android handset is pretty nice. I hear of recent deals around $100 ~ $130 (I paid $140 for mine, back in June). There's no contract required. The phone can be used on wi-fi, even if you haven't activated it on Virgin Mobile. The cheapest service option is $25 for unlimited data, text, and a generous 300 anytime minute package. It's a very capable Android 2.2.1 handset, which I've been using for a few months now. I have my older deactivated Virgin Mobile phones tucked away in my cars, or in my bags, for emergency calls (deactivated phones still dial 9-1-1). I have a pre-paid Virgin Mobile card in my wallet, which I can use to activate any of the phones, should I need it. Since I use Google Voice, it's easy to have my number forward around to different handsets, in the event I need to switch around. There are tons of apps that would come in handy in a pinch, even if phone and internet services were inaccessible.

Raiden - what gas cylinders does that little stove take? Looks like it's threaded for propane cylinders, but it lists "LP gas" and I don't recognize the white bottle used in the demo video.

Raiden - what gas cylinders does that little stove take? Looks like it's threaded for propane cylinders, but it lists "LP gas" and I don't recognize the white bottle used in the demo video.
Note that it doesn't say the BTU output and in the comments people say it uses a lot of gas.

Using a lot of gas is an issue when backpacking, do you risk running out of gas or carry more weight. Also, how well does it work in cold conditions.

Note that it doesn't say the BTU output and in the comments people say it uses a lot of gas.

Using a lot of gas is an issue when backpacking, do you risk running out of gas or carry more weight. Also, how well does it work in cold conditions.
Holy COW! For 8 bucks and free shipping just buy the darn thing and find out! :tongueout::welcome:

do you think its more the stove or the types of fuel?
There are canisters with higher percentage of propane (max 20% usually) that you should look for if you are using it in cold weather. The issue is that during cold weather the propane gets used but because of the cold the other 80 percent does not get used.

Propane boils at -43° F (-40° C)

Butane boiling at 31° F (0.5° C)

Isobutane boils at 11° F (-12° C)

I don't know how but, the Soto Micro Regulator Stove does work better in cold weather than other stoves.

http://zenstoves.net/Canister.htm#ColdWeatherOperation

I have new 870 and 1100 barrels that I am selling from inventory. A picture of 4 of the 870 barrels are posted in the For Sale section. Have had time to indicate the prices on two of them. I will now post a photograph in the For sale section of Remington 1100 12 ga barrels. Many of the barrels have been worked upon by Hans Vang of Vang Comp.

There are canisters with higher percentage of propane (max 20% usually) that you should look for if you are using it in cold weather. The issue is that during cold weather the propane gets used but because of the cold the other 80 percent does not get used.

Propane boils at -43° F (-40° C)

Butane boiling at 31° F (0.5° C)

Isobutane boils at 11° F (-12° C)

I don't know how but, the Soto Micro Regulator Stove does work better in cold weather than other stoves.

http://zenstoves.net/Canister.htm#ColdWeatherOperation
One trick when its cold is to put the fuel canister in your sleeping bag at night and in a pocket under your down layer during the day (for a little while before you want to cook). This keeps the fuel warm and it will function better.

Magzine deals I've found recently:

AR-15 magazines, teflon coated both inside & out, with MagPul followers installed. Ten pack is $85 plus shipping - two ten packs came out to $183.80 total, or $9.19 each including shipping costs:

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-02DSGB10A.aspx

I've never dealt with DSG before, but checked around on arfcom and they and these magazines both got very good reviews. They're apparently D&H magazines (which I've used in the past and are very good), just with DSG's name stamped on the floorplate instead.

Glock factory mags - Standard capacity for $18.99 - http://www.obxammo.com/TODAYS-HOT-ITEM-GLOCK-FACTORY-MAGAZINES-GLOCKMAG.htm Haven't ordered any yet, but thought I'd pass it on.

They also have glock factory extended magazines for $29.99 (9mm 33-round, and .40s&W 22-round).

41 - 60 of 556 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.