Glock Talk banner
541 - 556 of 556 Posts
D&H AR-15 magazines, 30-rd teflon, with magpul followers installed, only $6.99 at PSA. Shipping to me came up at $8.50 whether I put one in my cart or twenty.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1239/category/4345/

These are some of the best (and my personal favorite) aluminum AR-15 magazines. I'd put them up there with anything made today; they're that good.
You think? I have ten of them but I wouldn't pretend to compare them to NHMTG (though in the limited use of the D&H they have worked perfectly which seems to be the norm, nothing wrong with them at all)

You think? I have ten of them but I wouldn't pretend to compare them to NHMTG (though in the limited use of the D&H they have worked perfectly which seems to be the norm, nothing wrong with them at all)
Definitely. I really would put them right up there with my old NHMTG, Okay, Colt, Simmonds, Adventureline, etc. Possibly even better, seeing as they have the newer teflon (inside and out) coating and magpul follower.

Over the last 3-4 years, D&H have come to be one of my three current-production favorites, along with windowed pmags and translucent L5AWM's. Now that they can be had for $8-$9, I've frankly bought more of them than probably makes sense.

Definitely. I really would put them right up there with my old NHMTG, Okay, Colt, Simmonds, Adventureline, etc. Possibly even better, seeing as they have the newer teflon (inside and out) coating and magpul follower.

Over the last 3-4 years, D&H have come to be one of my three current-production favorites, along with windowed pmags and translucent L5AWM's. Now that they can be had for $8-$9, I've frankly bought more of them than probably makes sense.
In both of the lowers that I tried, the translucent AWM, when loaded with 2-3 rounds, with the rifle's muzzle tilted slightly upward (not uncommon during a reload), fails to drop free. This is multiple mags on multiple lowers of different manufacture.

Does that happen with yours?

No - the only issue I've had with them is that they're a little tighter to seat than magpuls or aluminums are. On one of my guns (a bushmaster) they take a good whack to seat, and you have to be careful to seat them firmly. They have hardened-steel feedlips and I assume that makes them less 'forming' to the top of the magwell than other magazines.

It's only on one gun out of four and it doesn't take any major pounding to get them in or anything, but it is somewhat of an issue in that one gun. In the same gun with GI-style aluminums it's lesser of an issue, and pmags in that gun don't have the issue at all.

I've modified my opinion on D&H, and since I endorsed and praised them publicly, it seems only fair to make that known publicly as well. Maybe it'll help someone else avoid my frustrations.

I first bought buying D&H's in probably 2010-2012, honestly don't know when; and they worked fine. However, I recently found a problematic batch. I bought them from different vendors - some with Palmetto State Armory floorplate, some with D&H logo floorplate, and some with DSG logo floorplates. Those with the PSA logo (which I hadn't used before), have issues in at least two of my guns; they take a massive, ridiculous rap to seat on an closed bolt. Much more than L5AWMÂ’s, Pmags, or my old aluminum mags do; right up there with the issues the early E-Landers had. (Side note; the ten Mod3 E-Lander 30's I have, work flawlessly in all my guns. :dunno: )

Anyway, IÂ’ve read some reviews of people having problems with D&HÂ’s from a certain time frame, theorizing that when the magazine craziness was at its worst, they let some out that had problems. I hadnÂ’t experienced it, and had had 100% satisfactory function with my D&HÂ’s, so I dismissed those reviews. But it looks like those complaints may be valid, because I've got some D&H's that are nearly impossible to seat on a closed bolt. Even empty they're very, very tight; it's not just a spring-tension issue.

I thought maybe it was a combination of a relatively tight lower and all the other aluminum mags I used in it being 20+ years old and broken in to that particular gun, so I broke out a ten-pack of new, unused NHMTG 30’s to compare, and darn if every one of them doesn’t work slick as snot in the same gun the D&H’s had problems in. So it’s not the gun and it’s not the ‘breaking-in’ of the old mags to the gun; that leaves only these particular D&H mags. All the ones with the PSA logo floorplates have issues, and a small number of the ones with the D&H logo do. It’s very likely that the good ones & bad ones were bought at different times & just have the same floorplate, but I can’t say for sure; I bought several batches from several vendors and didn’t keep them sorted out other than being ‘D&H magazines’, regardless of floorplate, vendor, or date purchased. It's also very likely that not all D&H's with the PSA logo are bad; but all the ones I have, are.

All that to say this – there are obviously some bad D&H’s out there, because I have some in hand. At this point, I figure on the bad ones I’ll keep the springs & followers and trash the bodies, and on the ones that haven’t given me problems I’ll probably take that as an excuse to hit a gun show (which I haven’t in a couple years) and sell them off. Seriously considering standardizing almost exclusively on NHMTG and L5AWM for simplicity’s sake. I’ve got a few dozen Pmags that I’ll probably keep, but after being burned by C-Products and now D&H, I think it’s time to standardize & streamline. NHMTG's cost a little more ($15 with magpul followers), but it's absolutely worth the peace of mind to me personally.

Fwiw, these D&HÂ’s are all Teflon 30Â’s; mostly black with probably 8 or 10 FDE (tan) in the mix.

I'm not surprised to hear that Quake.

As it happens the D&H I have (10 of them), that gave me a less-than-premium impression I'll call it, were purchased in April of 2013...from PSA with the PSA floorplate. All teflon, black, yellow follower.

I still really like NHMTG 20-30, PMAG 30, and L5AWM though. :cool:

...I still really like NHMTG 20-30, PMAG 30, and L5AWM though. :cool:
Fwiw, in the vein of "hot deals" as well as personal magazine preferences, it turns out the NHMTG brand is being discontinued, which (even though they're my favorite aluminum magazine) is actually a good thing. They've been made since the 70's by Okay Industries, and Okay has decided to start selling them under their own name rather than the NHMTG branding. New name will be Okay SureFeed.

Name change.
http://nhmtgmags.com/

{edit - all right; there's links right above here, but they're in invisible ink thanks to the new GT format... :( }

The good news is that this has some distributors closing out their stock of NHMTG to make way for the new Okay inventory. I found NHMTG 30-rounders with magpul followers for an unheard-of $9.99 apiece at one vendor and bought them out. Anyone looking for absolute top-quality AR 30's would imo be well-served to search for NHMTG closeouts. I don't recall ever seeing them in the past for less than $16, and that was without magpul followers.

I actually sold off all my functional D&H magazines this weekend at a gunshow. They're very good magazines for the most part, but there were some inconsistencies batch-to-batch that I didn't encounter until after using them for a while. Frankly, the trust was just killed for me and it was worth it to me to take the little bit of a loss and replace all of them (and more) with the Okay-made magazines that I've used with literally zero issues for 30-plus years.

541 - 556 of 556 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.