Premature slide lock.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MikeSantor, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Peter Gun

Peter Gun

Took a while for me to accept it was the extended slide release on my g35.
    I actually changed my grip for a while until I decided that was silly and just changed the slide release. Problem solved. $10 part, 3 seconds to change.

halfmoonclip and Buckshot Barry like this.
  2. FelixD

FelixD

May I suggest having a second person shoot the gun to see if it occurs again.

3. Jim

Jim

Sorry about that, I mis-read your original post.

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Yes, guns like yours are why I made sure to throw in a bunch of qualifiers in my rant, above.

It DOES happen occasionally, but it's not very common at all.

The thumbs being the problem is so common that it's almost considered normal.

That's right, I said it; you ain't a REAL Glocker until you get premature lockback at least once! :supergrin:

JoeyBones likes this.
  5. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Only had this issue in Glocks with the 42, an issue that is now resolved. Officer's length Colts are another matter, and mine are the alloy framed Defenders. It happened repeatedly with the 9mm; part of the issue was a magazine that allowed the rounds to be too far to the left.
    Another fix is to drill a very small 'dimple' at the spot where the plunger sits when the slide stop is in the down position. It offers a little extra resistance to the slide stop engaging.
    Moon

6. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

I had this problem with a G42 that was definitely the nose of certain bullets bumping the edge of the slide stop. Inspecting from the top looked just like the OP's photos. Evidence of this was a brass film on the edge of the tab on the slide stop. (I could not determine if you had brass on the tab in the photo.) I filed down the area of the tab with the brass with immediate improvement. Eventually, I removed enough of the tab to solve the problem. G42 operated flawless after that. Just my experience

7. dom42

dom42

Try shooting with one hand to completely not be able to touch at all. See what happens.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  8. JoeyBones

JoeyBones

Understood! And I didn't think you ranted, FWIW.

Kinda like with Sig P series pistols people will often say, "My slide won't lock back after the last round. It's NOT my grip!"

And 9 times out of 10... Yup, it's a right handed shooter, and it's his grip :)

9. Jim

Jim

I had a pair of early G42's with the original no-dash slide stop, and neither of them could get through a single mag of any ammo, without the slide locking back with rounds still in the mag. Like you said, bullet noses were hitting the inner tab and bumping it up as if the mag was empty.

Glock came out with the -1 slide stop and sometimes I could get through two whole mags without a premature lockback. I filed the inner tab and then squeezed the outer tab so the SS couldn't flop in-out so much. Between those mods, I was down to one premature lockback maybe every 500 rds. But the inner tab was just barely being activated by the follower on the last round, after some wear the follower started slipping past the inner tab.

Glock finally came out with the -2 follower and it was better. When combined with the 03 mags, I haven't had a premature lockback for several thousand rounds now. Too bad it only took them two years to figure it out.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  10. DJ Niner

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has that problem with SIGs. :supergrin:

11. DJ Niner

Agree; that's entirely too slow.

12. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

I didnt take it as a rant either.

Been super busy. Have to get out to the range asap to try and get this figured out.

13. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

In some small defense of Glock, the slide stop issue was so 'hit or miss' that it's not hard to imagine that they had trouble replicating the issue in Smyrna. My first 42, and those of two buddies, never displayed the slide stop issue. But it is the kind of crap that drives owners nuts.
    Moon

DJ Niner likes this.
  14. DJ Niner

Very true.

There are probably few things as frustrating for a factory troubleshooter as an intermittent stoppage in a small percentage of guns of a certain model.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  15. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

Got back out to the range today.
    Here was the procedure:

-Shot her lefty, still had the slide randomly lock back. Did this with 2 mags before I again crossed out the problem being my grip.
    -Shot a box of the old Federal maroon box that I have put thousands of rounds through this glock with, Still got phantom lock backs.

Threw in the OEM slide release, BINGO. Problem friggin GONE.

So as I mentioned in the OP,

So take note how the OEM slide release is moving with the slide off. Snapping back down nice and fast. So I take it out and put the Extended one back on. It seems to snap down just as fast and with the same amount of force as the new OEM one I put in that fixed the problem.

At this point Im at a loss for what really is happening. all I know is I threw the new OEM one back in and my son and I shot a good 300 rounds through it without a hiccup.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  16. TxGun

TxGun

Glocks suffer more from after-market 'improvements' than any other pistol, IMHO. Simply because so many after-market parts are available, from so many manufacturers, being installed by owners with a wide range of skills and experience. Yes, they often work, and work very well...but sometimes they don't. It's really the 1st thing to consider if you are having problems. I have no idea what's happening with your Glock, or why, but you sure seemed to have solved the problem now that you've got the factory slide release back in the gun.

Good job and good luck going forward!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    ChrisJn and halfmoonclip like this.
  17. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

The "faulty" extended slide release was a glock brand part.

18. DJ Niner

Good troubleshooting on your part; a lot of folks simply won't "go back" to the old parts to confirm the new part is the problem.

I've run into this kind of thing (add-on Glock-brand parts don't work reliably) a very few times, and I know it can be really frustrating. It's possible the part itself may be defective, or it might a be a simple tolerance stack issue with your particular pistol.

Which reminds me; Glock actually makes a couple of different versions of this part. Are you sure you bought/received the correct part for your Generation/model? I think there should be a part number stamped on it, so it might pay to "look it up", just to make sure. I don't have the info on exactly which part number you need, but I'm sure someone here can come up with it.

It's a Gen4 G17, right?

halfmoonclip and WeeWilly like this.
  19. DJ Niner

After a bit of research, it looks like the part you need should be marked/stamped "7482-1" on the back of the part.

(Glock Armorers, correct me if I'm wrong on this; I may not have the most up-to-date info).

20. BJor

BJor

I had this same issue and noticed the same thing. The tip of mag catch being close to the bullet head. So I shaved the point from the mag catch down a little so give some more room. And so far it seemed fixed the problem. I'd give it a try.