Glock Talk banner

Preference between g3/4/5 g26?

2124 Views 34 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  5906
im looking at picking up a Glock 26. I like the gen 4 over the 3 due to the increased grip texture and magazine release. I’m not a huge fan of the gen 5 as it seems without the finger grooves my hand slips down the grip and I don’t seem to get the best grip. I’m one of the few where the finger grooves actually fit me well. The gen 3 I don’t mind but the less grip texture and the magazine release I don’t like. I have a hard tome reaching the magazine releases without severely breaking my grip due to my small hands. In your opinions what generation do you like the most? Pricing local to me I can get a frying pan gen 3 very very lightly used for 425, gen 4 fde used with some wear for 395, gen 4 brand new for 510 and a gen 5 brand new for 565
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
I like the gen 4 over the 3 due to the increased grip texture and magazine release.
I, like you, I can’t get by the texture and mag release of the GEN three.
The more aggressive texture and larger magazine release are nice here.
My observation after pulling both a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 out of the safe, and comparing them side by side, visually the Gen 4 mag release is larger, but in order to release the magazine you are limited to using about the same area as the Gen 3 mag release (unless you replace the mag release with one of the OEM large frame or aftermarket extended mag releases).

· Registered
4,398 Posts
On the basis that this will be a CCW. For what it’s worth, if it were me making this decision, which ever Gen I decide to go with, I would buy a new gun. No matter how good the condition of a used gun appears, you don’t know it’s history and how much someone might have messed with the internal components. There may also be a mechanical issue, which prompted the original sale, that is not obvious to the eye or function test. Just my 2 cents.

· Registered
234 Posts
On the basis that this will be a CCW. For what it’s worth, if it were me making this decision, which ever Gen I decide to go with, I would buy a new gun. No matter how good the condition of a used gun appears, you don’t know it’s history and how much someone might have messed with the internal components. There may also be a mechanical issue, which prompted the original sale, that is not obvious to the eye or function test. Just my 2 cents.
Agree. The only used Glock I bought, I ended up changing all the internals on because I didn’t trust it to be okay.

· USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,622 Posts
I like my Gen4 and may buy a Gen5 after they are out for at least a few months. I’m a bit skeptical about the two pin design and not a fan of the ambidextrous slide release. Time will tell.

· NRA Member
791 Posts
I carry a Gen 4 26 almost every day. I have a lot of choices, so that says a lot for the Gen 4 26. The reason I like it so much is the size, capacity, finger grooves, reliability and accuracy. I will always like the Gen 3 Glocks but the Gen 4 grips and blackstrap system is superior. I like the Gen 5, my G19 Gen 5 shoots excellent but the lack of finger grooves does not have me completely sold on them. If they had a choice of whether to buy them with the finger grooves, there is no question that Gen 5 would be the way to go.

· Registered
44 Posts
Gen4 26 replaced my Gen3 26. I was slightly quicker on reloads with it and I feel that it fits my hand better overall. I have little interest in the Gen5 at this point as the finger grooves fit me well. See which gen fits you best and enjoy. The 26 is one of my favorite Glock’s.

· Registered
623 Posts
I’m no fan of the finger groves but I felt for me the gen4 26 just felt more secure in my hand. I have a 19x and a gen5 19 and love them with no finger groves but I am just not sure about a gen5 26. Maybe if I shoot one I might change my mind but for now I will stay with my gen4.

· Registered
278 Posts
im looking at picking up a Glock 26. I like the gen 4 over the 3 due to the increased grip texture and magazine release. I’m not a huge fan of the gen 5 as it seems without the finger grooves my hand slips down the grip and I don’t seem to get the best grip. I’m one of the few where the finger grooves actually fit me well. The gen 3 I don’t mind but the less grip texture and the magazine release I don’t like. I have a hard tome reaching the magazine releases without severely breaking my grip due to my small hands. In your opinions what generation do you like the most? Pricing local to me I can get a frying pan gen 3 very very lightly used for 425, gen 4 fde used with some wear for 395, gen 4 brand new for 510 and a gen 5 brand new for 565
I like Gen 2.5 the best. No Fingergrooves

· Registered
3,338 Posts
Gen 4.

When drawing the G26 from iwb concealment, I find the grip texture and finger grooves help me get a correct grip the first time without the need to re-grip after the draw. That's important.

I have a G43 (which I really like and shoot well), but I find the lack of finger grooves doesn't lend itself to a solid grip on the draw. Once drawn, it's good-to-go, but the finger grooves really do help the 26, IMO. I've ordered some grip tape for the 43 for that reason.

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Gen 4.

When drawing the G26 from iwb concealment, I find the grip texture and finger grooves help me get a correct grip the first time without the need to re-grip after the draw. That's important.

I have a G43 (which I really like and shoot well), but I find the lack of finger grooves doesn't lend itself to a solid grip on the draw. Once drawn, it's good-to-go, but the finger grooves really do help the 26, IMO. I've ordered some grip tape for the 43 for that reason.
Interesting - I have a G43 too and don’t have any problems with the lack of finger grooves. Choice is good!

· Registered
3,338 Posts
Interesting - I have a G43 too and don’t have any problems with the lack of finger grooves. Choice is good!
Choice is good.

The issue I have is I often feel the need to get a better grip immediately after drawing the 43, but not with the 26. I attribute the difference to the finger grooves on the 26 giving me something to align with when initially grabbing the gun. I'm hopeful the grip tape I ordered will help with the 43.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.