close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Predator (Especially Coyote) Hunters please help!!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by buckfever34, Jul 25, 2004.

1. buckfever34

buckfever34

I live in Southern Indiana where both large and small patches of woods are nestled between dense thickets and grain fields. I have recently began coyote hunting and I need some advice from some individuals who have successfully hunted these wily animals. I have a Johnny Stewart electronic call with all the different tapes. Any advice on how to use or get set up to sharpen my chances would be greatly appreciated. What is your favorite time of the year to predator hunt? I know cold weather is generally better but will it work in the summer as well. Also I am going to do some hunting at night as well. I have a gunlight on my flattop AR. Should your hunting strategies change between day and night? How long should you set up at one place before you move to a new location? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Email me at cwaskom@ius.edu or post your comments here for all to see.
    Thanks again, Clint

2. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I use different strategies from night and day. At night we tend to drive around and just spotlight (don't know if it illegal there, probably not). In the day time we stay out of sight, in cammo, and we call and wait about 10 minutes for any signs of dogs. It is important that they not suspect your presence. No slamming of doors. No slide racking, unnatural sounds, etc... Camo is very important, and probably most important while waiting for dogs, stay still.

You can get dogs in the summer but they are much harder to call. Fall is when is probably the BEST time.

I would try to get out with someone who has had experience. Good luck.

3. MI10mm

MI10mm

4. ibmagz

ibmagz

this is probably no help to wiley e coyote hunters... but here in arizona they're like fleas.. or stickers, ie; everywhere! day or nite, summer or winter seems i've gotten closest one of three ways. 1) cook something on a campfire
    2) ride a horse with a dog running alongside
    3) open the front door and turn the garden lights on when the dogs bark I marvel at calling coyotes electronically, i could use something to make them leave! (and thanks for letting me in... this is my very first post.)

5. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME