close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Precision Lead Bullets in .40 Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Deaf Smith, Aug 26, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

I have seen precision cast bullets, the Moly coated ones, and my understanding is you can handload them safely on a Glock .40 (polygon barrel ones) without any worry of leading in the barrel building up (as in KB.)

Is this true? They were 185 gr slugs, and I am very tempted in using them in IDPA.

Deaf

2. MarkP

MarkP

Just loaded up a bunch of moly bullets for a 40 [g35] using a stock barrel.Heavy smoke residue and leading,couldn't remove it with a bronze bore brush -might have to use a 45 cal brush to really scrape it out.Even after 40-50 rounds.
    Sucks having to run a brush through after every 100 rounds to scrape the chunks out.
    Once this batch is done -will never use moly bullets again.Might be a reflection of this particular brand - I am not sure.

Moly supposedly accelerates wear in the barrel - depends on the load I would think.

stick with jacketed bullets or get aftermarket barrel and just shoot lead.

edit : btw - they are not 'precision brand'.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If you wish to use lead, try the Laser-Cast 170-gr LSWC over 4.0-gr of WST, Federal primers. It's a very mild but highly accurate load than makes nice round holes in cardboard.:cool:

4. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

..my experience with Precision bullets is...they shoot great, but you have to deal w/the polymer build-up in your barrel. It's not lead. but the polymer coating they put on the bullets. Smells like burning plastic when your pistol heats up.

...I no-longer use the stuff. I was scared it was raising the chamber pressure. I concur w/Danny, I went w/the laser cast company. Their bullets shoot great also, just have to deal w/some smoke, but NO leading.

Jay

5. ammoboy2

ammoboy2 Millennium Member

Deaf Smith

I have shot thousands of the 180 grain bullets by Precision that you were asking about in stock Glock barrels. I have had no problems in the std Glocks and I do not clean but about every 500 rds or more. I do not know of this plastic coating that jay was speaking about. There has been no build-up for me. I have even shot some of their 9mm bullets.

My recommendation is to try them. I use them in GSSF matches and Falling Plates. Precision brings previously ordered product to local IPSC matches in TX, OK, and LA.

Also see extensive number of threads in reloading section on Precision bullets.

6. 40loader

40loader IPSC Shooter

I also use Precision bullets with no problems, what little residue they leave cleans out easily with just about any solvent. My gun seems to like them a lot, they group the best out of any bullets I've tried. The coating is not moly or plastic, it is just a lubricant like CCI uses on their .22 long rifle ammo or something similar.

7. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

I've loaded and shot several thousand of Precision's .45 and 9mm bullets with no problems whatsoever.

My only complaint is that the mfr. doesn't give a very generous price break on bulk purchases. The most you can hope to save is $3/1000 if you order a min. of 15,000 bullets. Oh, well.

Precision bullets are not "moly" coated. It's a plastic dry lube.

8. djkost

djkost

I used them in my stock 40, model 22. I have fired close to 500 rounds and then broke the gun down and cleaned it. I looked in the barrel and there was what I thought was lead. I cleaned the barrel with simple green and a soft brush. The barrel came out nice and clean so it wasn't lead. I will continue using the bullets.

9. grenadier

grenadier

Howdy folks (I still haven't gotten my broadband internet established in my new place in Alabama)!

Precision Bullets does not use a moly coating. They use a polymer coating. While it is true that you may get a bit of smearing in your barrel, rest assured, it's not lead, and that it is easily cleaned out with a mild solvent. If anything, I would tend to believe that the "junk" you see in your barrel is probably more due to the type of powder you are using.

Precision Bullets do not use any lube, as the polymer coating has a pretty low coefficient of friction when gliding along the metal rifling of a barrel, and there is no reason why you should be seeing any smoke from burning lube. I would suggest trying a cleaner burning powder, such as the Vihtavuori powders, and seeing if that makes any difference. I've fired lots of their bullets from my Glocks, both from the factory barrels and aftermarket barrels, and have been quite pleased with the results. If I shoot at a "lead only" range, then I only use either Precision Bullets or Oregon Trail's Lasercast bullets.

10. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

Add another satisfied Precision customer to the list.

11. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Ok Guys! You have sold me. I will get some. Sure wish they made simi-wadcutters like .45 acp 200 grainers. I like those neat round holes.

Deaf

12. ammoboy2

ammoboy2 Millennium Member

Deaf

Precision used to make a 155 SWC bullet. I have shot some of them and they did not function thru the action very smoothly. I had no failures to feed but I always thought it was going to jam. Not as bad as the SWC in the G30, but I did not like them as a result. I have not tried the 155 RN they sell now, but I am sure they function great.

13. Coug

Coug

I loaded up a bunch of 180gr 40s about 4-5 yrs ago. They leaded so badly that I had to pull Pb out with a dental pick. I think I narrowed it down to too much crimp cutting the polymer film. Be careful crimping. -Coug