Precision equipment from overseas?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by larry_minn, Jun 8, 2020.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have been looking at some gps measuring gear. Bit beyond hiking gear. Found a (last generation) units nib @$3600 area. With extras needed.
    Then I find a site that’s cheaper. I’m talking below used equipment costs. https://geomaticslandsurveying.com/ The exact same gear NIB $2250.
    So I email “is this X and Y and Z with cables, mounts...new in box...?” I get back on Sunday “yes to everything, we can ship as soon as you give address, set up payment”

I think “Sunday response?” Ok working at home, flex hrs.... then i see based out of Singapore. I can’t seem to find USA branch’s. $1350 cheaper then eBay, Amazon, dealers.... most of which are under $200 above, below. Site looks great, professional...
    But my neck tingles. “Run away”
    Am I Paranoid? Or not enough?

2. ked

ked

Run away

3. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Run, how do you fix if order is not right, and they have your payment? Sounds like a mess ready to happen. Just me.

4. RenoF250

RenoF250

Call Trimble and ask if they are an authorized reseller. If not I am sure they would like to know. It is very likely they are franchised for Asia and selling in the US at lower prices. Lots of companies are happy to screw US customers and sell cheaper to the rest of the world.

5. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Ca
    Camera mfg did this for years. NYC camera stores would buy Japanese cameras from foreign distributors, deeply discounted to US customers. Photo copied English instructions, some accessories missing. The big thing was they came with no US warranty.

6. larry_minn

Called Trimble. After call backs, lots of bad musak.. I still don’t know.
    1. Are they a authorized reseller? (Giving website, they look it over...)
    2. As it appears overseas. Singapore, or Indonesia listed. Will it work here? Support.
    They are looking into it. Can’t find that it is a listed dealer, reseller... so running up food chain.. they say they will email tomorrow at latest. “But don’t send them anything”
    The actual folks poured over site. “It looks good but there are no Trimble trademarks on pages.” It might be a refurbished unit, or copy from unknown source. (My guess China)

7. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Not knowing if this is for personal or professional use, but where do others in the business (or not) get theirs?

8. larry_minn

Just got a call back from area rep. He also wanted to see website. He is calling corporate. There might be some issues from this. (But what can they do overseas)? He said he can’t sell used stuff that cheap.

Maybe they will give me a discount for researching, getting basic area (where I think) this comes from. At least I hope they call me after it’s done, let me know if anything changed.

9. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

That's legit company, but they are grey marketing which means the manufacturer "may" not give the end-user support if they need it.

10. larry_minn

So where are they getting product? Is the factory in China so they make a few thousand extra off the books? Or knockoff? Last guy was saying “these prices are below our costs”. Used before refurbish cost more..

11. HarlDane

HarlDane

They could be taking advantage of regional pricing. I've seen it in other gray market products, everything comes out of the same factory but authorized retailers in the US charge twice what Asian distributors are selling for. They enforce it by not honoring warranties on gray market products.

12. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Exactly. Also, the manufacturer often charges different prices to resellers that are in different markets.

13. HarlDane

HarlDane

Yes, I could have been more clear, in those situations it's usually the manufacturer raising wholesale prices in the US , not American retailers.

Green Dragoon likes this.
  14. Hartford

Hartford

Especially last generation stuff they don't sell in the US anymore. I'm on some outdoor power equipment forums and there are members from other countries that can sell and ship a chainsaw to my door cheaper than I can buy here, or they aren't even sold here anymore due to emissions.

15. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

It'd be interesting to know which one this is. Real thing, produced on secret 'third shift' on the same production line? Total fake, looks the same outside, hiking GPS electronics inside? Refurbs? Real units that 'fell off the truck'? Real, but designated for foreign-sale units without warranty?

larry_minn likes this.