Precision Delta vs MontanaGold

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BK63, Mar 4, 2010.

1. BK63

BK63

Getting low on bullets and I like to shoot the stock Glock with jacketed bullets. Montana Gold seems to have gone way up since last time I bought stuff from them. 45acp 230 grain fmj per 1000 is 170 bucks and the same thing at Precision Delta is 114 ? What is the difference for 56 bucks? Am I missing something?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Not sure but you might want to check availability of the precision deltas. I doubt they are in stock & so ordering something cheaper than you can't get is not always a savings. Of course, I'm not sure MG are in stock, either. Remember you have a 2k minimum order from Precision Delta. If you order 2k(a case) from MG, the price is $147.50 so there is still a difference but not as much. On top of that, my personal opinion is the MG are better but that is very hard to quantify.

MLM

3. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

If it's listed on the MG website then it's in stock.

Long ago I once placed an order for PD, but they were taking forever and I ran across MG in the process. Every time I have ordered from MG my bullets have arrived to my doorstep in less than a week. Been very happy with MG, their product, and their service.
    :wavey:

4. glocknick

glocknick

if i were you i would at least buy 1 case from montana gold. it comes to less than $150 per thousand.

5. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

I've never had a problem with PD bullets. I, also, order far enough in advance that waiting doesn't make much of a difference.

6. BK63

BK63

The more I look around for jacketed bullets and find there doesn't seem to be all that many choices of where to buy bulk, and those prices seem to be going up, the more I start to think, maybe I should get an aftermarket barrel and start casting boolits :supergrin: Maybe I need another thread about what barrel I should get for my G30 .

7. Glock XIX

Glock XIX

8. dubels

dubels

You can order less than 2000 from Precision Delta but you have to pay the odd number charge. I just ordered 1000 147FMJ TC and the person answering the phone and emails did not say anything about my order.

Bullets must be ordered in multiples of 2000, however it is permissable to mix calibers to reach this quantity. An odd quantity may be ordered, but a $5 charge (not reflected in your shopping cart) will be charged.

Edit: I just checked my credit card statement and they charged me $89 for the 1000 bullets so I got charged the $5 odd quantity fee. I just wanted to see how well their bullets were before I buy in bulk. If they are decent quality then I will stick with them, if not I will go with Montana Gold because if you buy by the case they are only a few dollars more.

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

In as much as casting can be both very dangerous and confusingly technical one who is contemplating such an endeavor should seek out advice from the most experienced and knowledgeable caster amongst us.

For your safety and assurance of quality cast bullets all inquires concerning same should absolutely be directed to ColoradoFourWheel.

He has been a proverbial book of knowledge to all of us for years and years. :whistling:

Jack

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

11. Guntrainer

Guntrainer

No problem with PD. Order the amount you need, get the price break, and back order in a timely manner so you do not run out.

I use them in a commercial loading venture. They work well, look good, load good.

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I got with the guys who say "buy more than just the minimum" order size when ordering from MG. As has been pointed out, 1000 is the $170, but 2000 is $147 per 1000. That's $23 per 1000 savings. no brainer.

I was another guy who got "bit" by Precision Delta in 2009. Placed an order for 147gr 9mm in March, and finally in September they called asking if I "still wanted them". Ha. I had already "found" Montana Gold, and was already into my second order of 3000 bullets from them. I live in North Carolina, can place an order during the weekend and have the bullets by Friday? Nothing BUT a good deal.

13. BK63

BK63

Looking at cast bullets online I can buy 1000 for about 70 bucks. So I can get 2000 for less than or around the price of 1000 jacketed. A Lone Wolf barrel is 99 bucks. I just love to plink at the range. I shoot a lot of cast in my wheel guns but I love to shoot the Glock. Decisions, decisions.....

14. mteagle1

mteagle1

I use Precision Delta for practice and Montana Gold for competition because they are a sponsor at every major USPSA event. I am trying Black Bullet International as a replacement for PD because of their back order times but I haven't tried them in a Glock yet.

15. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

MG is expensive but they actually deliver on time.

I've heard PD is coming out with JHP styles but I have yet to see pics or prices and their website pretty well sucks (background music? in 2010? seriously?).

16. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

I ordered a case of 2,300 200 gr JFP Montana Golds and could not be happier with the results. Great bullet.
    I have run through about 1,500 already so I may have to order another one.

I tried to order from Precision Delta a couple of times and they did not have the bullets in stock.... I am very happy with the service and quality of MG.

17. dubels

dubels

I just got my order of 1000 147 FMJ-TC from Precision delta today, I had placed the order about a week ago. They also had 124 gr 9mm in stock. I wanted to try out new loads in 147 before I made a bulk order so I went with them over MG.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  18. BK63

BK63

I did a lot of thinking since I started this thread and a lot of reading the past couple days using the search function. I decided to get a Lone Wolf barrel and reload cast as it's quite a bit less expensive. I like to shoot my Glock a lot at the range and I'm only firing these bullets through a paper target and then they go into the dirt bank forever. I don't carry reloads so I would carry the factory defense stuff I have. I use a lot of cast in my wheel guns because it's cheaper. Not to change the thread but how many of you put on an aftermarket barrel and never looked back?

19. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Not me. I shoot cast through my factory barrel and don't look back.

20. BK63

BK63

I also noticed in my searches a lot of debates like that. I prefer to stick with what they recommend but I'm just curious, what caliber and what kind of loads are you pushing that cast at?