close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Preban Magazines

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JJPLaw, Mar 9, 2012.

1. JJPLaw

JJPLaw

Hi all, Anyone know how much Glock 19 Hi-Capacity Preban mags sell for? I have FML ("notch") and NFML ("U") mags - I see them priced all over the board - anyone know what's realistic? Also, which are more desirable, FML or NFML?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

They sell for $3.99 a piece for the FML, and $2.99 for the NFML, including shipping.

I'll purchase 5 of the FML from you, and then I'll go buy a G4 19. :rofl:

Got any for a G17?

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I've also seen a gun store in NY ask $100 a piece for them. Not sure if they actually sell at that price, but they probably do, to somebody.

4. high ground

high ground

Is there a visible difference between a "preban" mag and a "noban" mag. I thought the only mags that had any markings were the ones made during the ban.

5. MikeG36

MikeG36

Why are they so expensive? Is it for collectible value? $100 seems nuts to me.

6. michael e

michael e

Think it would matter on your market. I am in a free state and can get all the "hi-cap" mags I want. So to me they would not be worth anymore than a normal mag. If you are in a state that doesn't allow new ones in the state they might be worth more to you.

7. Lampshade

Lampshade

My understanding is that some states have their own AWB laws, the pre bans are legal but newer 'high cap' mags aren't.

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

If you buy a new handgun in NYS, it will come with nothing larger than 10-round mags.

Buying a new Glock 17 and want to carry 17+1 rounds? Too bad. You can only carry 10+1 rounds. Unless you locate a pre-ban mag made before the magic 1994 date. You can buy it from anywhere you can find it.

Buying a new S&W M&P 9mm and want to carry 17+1 rounds? You'll never be able to, because there are no pre-ban M&P mags anywhwere in the world. You'll have a fullsize handgun that legally can only be 61% loaded.

Crazy, but that's the law.

Now, how much is a pre-ban Glock 17 mag worth to someone in NYS?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  9. 10 fan

10 fan 10 fan

The FML (full metal lined) are drop free,The NFML(non full metal lined) swell in the middle when full and will not drop out when the mag release is pushed.I feel your pain as I am in CA. I have both for my G20 and carry the NFML. I can't find any reason why I would want a full mag to fall out.If I do I'll strip it out like Glock teaches Mil. and LE.Glock started making drop free for competition needs. :cool:

10. MikeG36

MikeG36

Gentlemen, thank you for the explanations. It makes more sense now. And $100 seems more reasonable at least in those restricted areas.

11. JJPLaw

JJPLaw

I agree but don't think anyone would actually pay that much. Thanks all. In case you know of anyone looking, I have 2 NFML and 4 FML - 15 rds of course.

12. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

You'd be surprised what we in the "oppressed" states will pay for the pre-ban hi-caps. Yes, you COULD have that Glock 17 with a 10-round magazine, but you start to resent the gun because it reminds you that you live in a state with repressive gun laws. It takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Gun stores in my repressed state don't usually have pre-ban mags for sale. They were bought up a long time ago. If they DO have one for sale, it is usually beat-to-heck, and you wouldn't want to put it in your gun. The Internet and "market price" are what we are stuck with. Rarely, a (used) pre-ban gun with a pre-ban mag makes it into my LGS. The price is usually quite high.

Or, we can buy guns that have 10-round magazines scaled to their grip size. Like G30's and G26's. Or single-stack guns like Sig P220's, P239's, and 1911's.

Me? I CAN legally purchase hi-caps by virtue of being a LEO. But I actually prefer NFML Glock 17 magazines, and have paid a small fortune to provide both range and duty NFML magazines for my Gen1 and Gen2 guns. Typically in the $70-$100 range each for one in new or like-new condition. Often, a G17/G19 NFML magazine will require a new spring and possibly a 9mm3 follower. That adds another $10 to make it service-worthy. That goes up to @$15 is you need to add an insert and baseplate (original NFML's only had baseplates, and were subject to "spontaneous disassembly"). To get that FML in pre-ban format, you will pay@25% more than a NFML. That's what I've seen as an internet trend. To answer the OP's original question, then, it's $75-$100 for NFML pre-bans, and $100+ for FML pre-bans.

As far as whether a FML or NFML is more desirable, that's up to you. I LIKE to pull magazines out of the gun, or at least have some degree of resistance once I press the magazine release button (then again, I was originally trained on NFML's. It stuck). So, it's usually NFML's for me even though I have legal access to FML's.

One caution. NFML's, by virtue of lacking metal lining on all sides, are subject to increased cracking. This can happen merely with age and use (force is exerted internally by spring-pressured rounds), or (especially) by virtue of dropping the magazines on hard surfaces during magazine changes. I lose two or three NFML's a year this way. Once they are cracked, they are ruined. It's no coincidence that so few of the original "orange" NFML training magazines have survived. I have one for a G21, procured through an auction, and treasure it. Also remember that an internet vendor may not notice a small crack starting in a NFML (typically at a round-count hole), and that purchasing them online is risky without clear pictures of the magazine you will actually receive. The crack spreads quickly as you shoot. Caveat Emptor!

13. high ground

high ground

Tac reload. I find it easier to tac reload with a fresh mag already in hand and trying to do that while having to pull the mag out of the gun would be a PITA and likely cause dropping a mag. And not everyone had the benefit of receiving Glock factory training to practice this skill.

I own a Non drop free mag for my 19, but it only sees range use or for IDPA only if reloads are off the clock.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  14. high ground

high ground

And I can't think of any other currently manufactured weapon system that uses non drop free mags. So you only have to learn one way for any other gun you may carry.

15. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Empty NFML's will sometimes fall out when you push the mag button, or in-extremis can be shaken out. I had to do this in Glock's IW during the one-handed malfunction clearance drills (with dummy rounds, of course). We used our own guns and magazines, and had a great instructor. FML's don't have this issue, of course. Now that I tend to use my FML's for range-beating purposes (I've probably wrecked upwards of $500 in NFML magazines since 2007 and my last Glock IW), I can tell you that i don't notice a whole lot of difference at the range between FML's and NFML's. I pull them out anyway, and/or the empty NFML's fall free by themselves.

Remember that the sole purpose of the NFML's was to meet Austrian military specs back in the early 1980's. They WANTED magazines that wouldn't fall free, and Glock built them that way. I still don't think it's a bad thing to have to pull out the magazines (especially when replacing a partially-empty magazine), but that's a training issue. I'd also opine that it doesn't matter so much in the "real-world" when you are discussing a gun that holds 17+1 rounds already (the capacity of my former service revolver PLUS it's two speedloaders).

Given equal skill, of course, the shooter whose FML magazines drop freely will have a slight edge, speed-wise. You will see this during timed drills that involve magazine changes. Envision three targets, evenly spaced. The shooter has two magazines with 12 rounds distributed between them (shooter's discretion). Each target must be shot twice, with a magazine change at some point in the drill. They call this the "Triple Nickel". The idea is to do it in five seconds or under. I can't do it with NFML's OR FML's (I know ONE guy who can, with FML's), but have improved my time by a little over a second using FML's. So, a little over six seconds with FML's, and 7+ with NFML's.

16. JJPLaw

JJPLaw

Excellent feedback! Thanks all! I can appreciate the desirability for those in living in those states - I didn't realize the magazines brought such prices ($70-100/mag and 100+). I would gladly sell mine for less to get them to someone who could benefit from and enjoy them. Btw, they are in excellent shape, no cracks.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  17. MajorD

MajorD

the gentlemanly thing to do is sell them to a ban stater for the price it would cost you to get some brand new no ban mags in your area- this way a ban stater gets full capacity mags without price gouging and you still get brand new mags- a win win.

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I'm in a ban state, and I wouldn't expect anyone to do that. It is just nice enough if you free-staters offer to sell them to us :)

Then we can negotiate a fair price from there, including some profit for your time.

The ban state demand probably isn't high enough to sustain $100. That's more the rare example, or what some odd noob might pay at a gun store, but not what everyone is willing to pay. There's also an internal supply as people loaded up before the ban.

19. JJPLaw

JJPLaw

I agree, 100 seems extreme. I'd be happy with much less.

20. Aegis Athletics

Aegis Athletics

I have 3 Glock 21 Preban Mags. 1 has a +2 kit installed on it.
    Where should I go to sell these to a NYer?