close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PreBan Glock 19 Magazine...or not?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BugOut89, Aug 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BugOut89

BugOut89

Hey, new here to Glock Talk. I have searched around and cannot find an answer to exactly what I am looking for. Today i purchased what i think is a preban glock 19magazine at a local gun show, but I am not completely sure. If someone could tell me whether it is or not that would be awesome. From what i can tell it looks like the newer generation magazines but not sure. My question pretty much is whether or not this magazine is legal in NY? Thanks!

glock1.jpg

0828101426.jpg

glock2.jpg

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Under oath I would have to say that it is not a 'pre-ban' magazine. Can I show PROOF that it is not? No. Can I give a reason I believe it to be post ban? Yes. Would it convince a jury? Somewhere between maybe and probably.

Can the prosecutor show proof that it isn't a pre-ban? I dunno....

Edit: I just looked at the third pic.....it is definately NOT a pre-ban. It has the 'ambi' notch on the front of the tube.....quite provable.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010

3. chad1972

chad1972

out of curiosity, how can one tell the difference between a preban and non preband?

4. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

That is definitely not a pre ban magazine. It has an ambi cut, the caliber indicator is up high, not lower. That is not NY legal. Here is the real issue though.... I doubt anyone will tell the difference. Glock doesn't serial number them and if you aren't doing anything wrong I doubt anyone would give you a hassle. I'm not giving advice, just a perspective. I used to live in Syracuse and would watch LEO's go to the shows and look right at the high capacity mags and have no idea they were technically illegal, or they didn't care. I'll post pictures of pre ban Glock 23 magazines.

5. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

This is a pre ban Glock 23 magazine. The 19 magazines are the exact same, just say 9mm in stead of 40.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  6. Butch

The caliber marking was originally centered between the top of the round counters and the bottom of the notch. They moved the caliber marking up to give room for the LEO markings and did not move them back down after the ban went away.

[​IMG]

7. pimpstar00

pimpstar00

Definately not a preban mag. It has the ambidextrious release on it.

8. BugOut89

BugOut89

Thanks for the reply's.... should have checked into it before hand anyway... I just brought it back and got my money back anyway so its all good

9. D.S.Brown

D.S.Brown Millennium Member

No offense to anyone stating that local LE and/or DA's office wouldn't notice, but why take the chance of losing your property and possibly personal freedom over that? What if the mag is used with a gun that the op uses to defend himself? Why give a possibly overzealous DA, in a state not known for it's gun friendliness, a little more "ammunition" to possibly imprison you? It's hard to say you lawfully protected yourself, when you're violating a state law to do so. I'm not saying I agree with NY states laws, but if one looks around hard enough there are "pre ban" mags to be had at reasonable prices. Still everyone is entitled to exercise their own acts of civil disobedience I guess.

Best,

Dave

10. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

^ I do agree. I bought legit pre ban mags when I lived in NY.

11. Butch

Yup.

If you're ever in a shooting, your gun, ammo, and magazines will very likely be sent to a firearms examiner as part of the investigation. Any good examiner should be able to tell if the mag is legal or not.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  12. GoingQuiet

GoingQuiet FFL/SOT

That is not an ambidextrous release.

13. Armed-N-Ready

Armed-N-Ready Glock Clone

Correct.

14. DrugRunR

DrugRunR

the fastest way to tell is to look at the metal part in the back
    If it looks like |_| then its preban, if it looks like \_/ then its post ban
    [​IMG]

15. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

16. mattyd123

mattyd123

I'm from NY and have to deal with the ban inconvenience as well. Just possessing that magazine is a felony here I believe, which is ridiculous...Keep your eyes on the gun parts and accessories thread in the want ads, I picked up a few preban mags there, and most of the members that I've done business with here have been on top of their stuff. From my experience most LEOs here don't really know the difference between pre and post ban mags so I tend to get the nfml non drop free mags that have the distinctive U shape just because I feel it's a very distinguishable difference between preban and post ban fully metal lined mags

17. AK74play

AK74play

Earlier pre-bans also had a round as in semi-circle notch in the steel and a lot of them were not full metal lined. Only the sides and rear were metal. This is why they would not drop free when loaded because the could swell outward.

18. prism

prism more ammo

example nfml

[​IMG]

19. pimpstar00

pimpstar00

I thought that silver plate in the middle was originally for an ambi- release. I first saw them come on mags when glock released the original 21SF with the ambi-release.

20. AK74play

AK74play

The cut out in the front of his mag is for the ambi release but practically all new Glock mags come with it even though all the guns dont.