close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pre-set white balance

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by nipperwolf, Jan 29, 2006.

1. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

I have seen the light!

while most of my shooting is done outdoors, I haven't had much trouble with colors being off. but since I picked up a 50mm f1.8 lens for my D50 recently, I've been doing some indoor shooting without flash.

using the auto, incadescent, and fluorescent settings, just doesn't cut it. to many variables in lights. last weekend, at my great niece's game, I experimented. here's a pic while set on incadescent.

[​IMG]

here's a pic after doing a pre-set on a white piece of paper. not the best thing to use.;) but it worked.

[​IMG]

so, I ordered one of THESE to do it right. though, there are many other similar tools available.

used it the first time on Friday at the indoor gokart at one our weekly afterwork fun times.

here's a pic from a couple weeks ago.

[​IMG]

and here's one from two days ago using the grey side of the Lastolite.

[​IMG]

anyone else using pre-set?

2. New23

New23

Sure, I either use pre-set WB or shoot in RAW and include the white reference object in one shot and use that image for WB in the conversion of all shots in that batch.

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I carry a small grey card from Kodak.

It's too bad that with all the color metering built-in, cameras cannot have a little white plastic built-in on top so one could use that for WB (like the old-fashioned hand-held color meters used to have). Would be fast, accurate, and one wouldn't have to fiddle around with extra grey cards.