Prayers please for Charlie

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Vic303, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Hi, our Ridgeback mix, Charlie is having some problems. We just noticed today, that his back legs are a bit weak or painful (can't tell). He basically refuses now to walk on the laminate floor. He was standing there onit earlier today when his back legs just went out sideways and he slid down. Hubby says he's noticed it recently too. Maybe a week or so? Vet appt is set for Wed a.m., provided we have gas to get there & back. Shortages are cropping up in DFW due to H. Rita.

I'm worried--there are a couple things it could be that come to mind. Arthritis or hip inflammation, a touch of dysplasia (6 yr old dog w/no prior probs), a touch of trauma from rough play with the other dog, or God forbid, a tumor pressing on nerves.

He's my baby...he was our 'starter child' before we had 2-legged children. He is the doggy light of my life, and I will be devastated if this is something bad...

Please say a prayer for Charlie.
    Thanks,
    Vic

2. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Here's my baby...
    [​IMG]

3. ProfMoriarty

ProfMoriarty

Good thoughts for Charlie.

My dog was a very important member of our family (and I have the tattoo to prove it!)

4. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Vicky,
    I am so sorry to hear your boy is hurting, with his age though sounds more like a trauma to me. He might have twisted a disc out of place and will need to take it easy for a couple weeks. My 12year old did it last year shaking the water off after a bath. Ask your Vet for a medicine called "Metacam". It has really put the spunk back in my boy. After a month of this med he runs around now like he is 3 again and I need to slow him down.

He is my only son and I would give up every material thing I have for him, so I know how you feel.

Ajax and I will say a prayer just for Charlie tonight.
    ;w ;w

[​IMG]

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Vic,

How is Charlie today? :)

~hg ~hg ~hg

;w ;w ;w

6. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Hiya Prof, Mike & MissKitty. Charlie is still acting really wierd on the laminate floor. But, when outside or on carpet he rough houses with the best of them! He acts normal--a slightly goofy Ridgie...

Assuming he's still 'off' on Wednesday & that gas isn't in short supply in DFW, we will go to the vet over in Justin.

Mike, what exactly is Ajax's parentage? He looks sorta cattledog/dingo to me...I bet he's a big ol' sweetie!

--Vic

7. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

HAHA, that is the million dollar question and everybody has a different answer.
    Its my belief that he is Pit Bull and Chow mixed mainly because the number of these breeds in the area where I rescued him and the purple/black tongue.

And yes he is a big ol'lovable sweetie that just loves women and children, however DO NOT TRY TO GET INTO MY HOUSE!!! He then turns into a Tasmanian devil and will bite on command as well as release on command. I have lots of training in him, and it was the best of times I have ever spent with an animal.

Did Charlie maybe slip on the laminate floor? Or have his legs slipped out from under him? Check his nails and and pads for splinters or sand spur.

8. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Oh, I couldn't see the black spotty tongue on Ajax in the picture! That's a dead giveaway for Chow somewhere in the woodpile!;f The ears speak to something else though--that's why I was guessing cattledog/dingo. It'd probably account for the brindle color too as I seem to recall Dingos being brindle frequently...of course APBTs are brindle too, but don't have those ears.

Gotta run this morning--church luncheon means I've got to make salad & bake rolls before 10am!