Prayers for Kody please.

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Jeep274, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Our 4 year old choc. lab, Kody (my avatar), became ill earlier this week. He stopped eating and was drinking excessively. After a couple vet visits and blood work it was determined that he had some liver damage.

Yesterday I had to take him to a veterinary hospital where they admitted him and did more tests. They are saying it is Leptospirosis, which is a bacteria found in standing water and can be transferred from one animal to another. It affects the liver and kidney's and can cause those organs to fail.

I received a call last night from the critical care doctor saying that Kody's kidneys had almost stopped producing urine so she gave him a medication to stimulate the kidneys. This seemed to help a little as of last night.

This morning I called for an update and they said his urine output is currently adequate but not ideal. That sounds like an improvement, but I still fear the next phone call.

I miss my best friend and am asking all my GT family to pray for him to recover. I appreciate any of you who take the time to read this and apologize for the long post.

Jeff

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

3. ProfMoriarty

ProfMoriarty

Hope all goes well for Kody.

4. Dragline

Dragline

Prayers and good thoughts for Kody and you on the way. ;w

5. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I hope Kody gets better real soon.:)

6. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Thank you all so much for the thoughts and prayers.

My wife and I went to see him this afternoon at the hospital. We went in while he was sleeping so he wouldn't know we were there. We are very attached to each other and it would be too hard on him to see us and then have us leave. He was resting comfortably and had some wonderful people looking after him.

The doctor says he may still get worse, but we are hoping he will start to improve in the next couple days. She says the fact that he is young and healthy and this occurred so suddenly, that he has a bit better chance of recovery. I know he is strong and is fighting with all he has.

He is the sweetest dog you would ever meet and loves everyone. This is the first time he has spent as much as a night away from us since we brought him home at 7 weeks old. Needless to say it is very hard to be in the house while he is away and sleep is hard to achieve.

Your prayers mean so much to us and I know Kody would send Lab kisses to all of you. Keep those prayers coming and we are staying strong for our pal.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

8. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Thank you. I believe this has become my favorite smiley and seems to have some power. ;w

***UPDATE***

I just talked to the doctor about 15 minutes ago and she gave me some encouraging news. It seems his kidneys have more than tripled their production since last night and his bloodwork shows little change from yesterday. His kidney counts are the same but his liver counts are down. She thinks he may be plateauing which would be great news. I really think he is fighting this thing hard with all of your help.

Since his creatine level jumped from 5 on wednesday to 8 yesterday it is good that it is still 8 today. She said he wagged his tail for her (always flirts with the ladies;f ) and just seems to be tired. They are going to maintain his current treatment and continue monitoring everything. They are hoping he will try to eat something today or tomorrow, otherwise he will get another IV with nutrients.

I truly believe all the thoughts and especially prayers are working. I know I am praying just about every minute of the day.

I am proud to have such wonderful people as all of you to lean on and rely on in times like these. It's hard to believe that some of the greatest people I know and consider friends are people I have never met.

Please keep those prayers coming. I am forever grateful.

Jeff

9. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I'm glad to hear the good news! I hope Kody keeps getting better.:)

10. Dragline

Dragline

I second that!
    Keep the updates, and hopefully the good news, coming.:)

11. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Thanks guys.

More good news today. We went to visit with Kody Saturday and again today. We spent about 2 hours with him each visit and he was very happy to see us. Lot's of kisses and tail wagging.

His creatine level dropped from 8 on Friday to 6 on Saturday, then to 0.8 today! His doctor was amazed and said anything below 1.8 is normal. His urine output has increased as well and the doctor feels his kidneys may be almost healed.

As of this afternoon we expect to possibly have him home on Tuesday. They will be taking out his catheter tonight or tomorrow and then hopefully the IV soon after.

Unfortunately he still does not want to eat. We coerced a little peanut butter in him today and they force fed about a jar of beef baby food in him last night. He really needs to start eating and drinking on his own again. The doctor feels he may not want to eat due to being a little depressed and his stomach is empty.

If he doesn't eat tonight or tomorrow, they may have us bring him home and see if he eats here.

Needless to say we are extremely happy with his condition and can't wait to get him back home. Last Wednesday it was a very real possibility that I'd never see him again, and now we are talking about him coming home.

Thank you all for the prayers. They worked and I can't begin to express my feelings for all of you. I just hope you all realize what a profound impact your words and prayers have had on us and Kody. Knowing you were all there for us carried us through and this board helped to keep my mind from dwelling on the worst.

I will update all of you when Kody is home!:)

12. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

^5 ^5 ^5 ^5 ~hg :)

13. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Thanks a lot Glockgirl26.

I just got the call. Doctor wants to send him home this afternoon!;f ;+ ~woohoo~

I'll let you know how he does at home. I can't wait to have my buddy back in the house.:)

14. Dragline

Dragline

Great news! I'm very happy for Kody and his 'family'! :)

15. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

16. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I'm glad I joined the thread late. Good boy Kody.

MF

17. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

18. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Thanks guys. It sure is nice to have my pal home again. He went right to his water bowl when we got home and drank a good bit. That's the first he drank in a week. He still doesn't want to eat and I'm trying all his favorites and anything else I can think of.

Any suggestions on foods to try that your dogs love? So far we've tried boiled ground meat with and without gravy, boiled chicken, peanut butter, cheese, his biscuits, and regular dry dog food.

Thanks again for all the support.^c

19. Stillhuntn

Stillhuntn

Try Gerber stage 2 baby food. We use ham, chicken and veal. That is what we use when our kitten will not eat. Seems to smell good and taste good to her. Good luck on getting Kody to eat.

20. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

good to hear bout kody. prayers are still being sent.

hj