close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Prayer threads

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by 1st-Amendment, Aug 13, 2003.

1. 1st-Amendment

1st-Amendment

Seems like there's a few of these a week,w hy are they not moved to religious issues, same as the comptuer threats not being moved to tech talk?

2. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

My take on it is that many of the threads asking for "prayers" are answered by quite a few GT members by simply keeping them in their thoughts. I have never interpreted a "Prayers Needed" thread as forcing any type of religion on me...only asking me to make a decision for their well being...whether that is actually praying for them or merely just sending a good thought their way...that's up to the reader.

On a side note, I think the GNG Mods have done a great job of shifting the tech questions into the Tech Forum. You have to remember that a Mod is not here 24/7 and it might take a while for the thread to be moved to the correct forum. The forum is still relatively new so it will take some time for all the members to realize that this wonderful resource (Tech Forum) is at the tip of their fingers. :)

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I think it is mostly kept in the forum where these folks are best known. Keep in mind that these folks in most cases are our oun G/T family. We don't need any more forums lets just take care of our own.

4. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

Great points David and Don. Couldn't of said it better myself!;)

5. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Thanks for the kind words, and you are right on about us not being here 24/7. We're diligently working to move threads where they belong, but I do disagree with moving the prayer threads to Religious issues. As already noted, they are usually posted in the forum where a person is known. I am not the most religious of people, but I have no problem with that. :)

6. 1st-Amendment

1st-Amendment

I didn't ask for another forum Don, just to make use of the current one. You'd likely get more response in that one, anyways.

7. Don At PC

I agree that we don't need more forums and I understand that there is already a Religious forum. My point is: the folks that we have requested prayers for are well known in certain forums and have contributed much to those specific forums, therefor the request should be in those forums. I for one have looked at the Religious Forum only one time since it was opened so I doubt we would get more responses if it were only posted there.

8. alaskaal

alaskaal

I, for one, never go to the religious forum. I find it often confrontational and argumentative. I do not care to promote my beliefs to others and find that often those with strong belief systems are not interested in bending to logic or faith anyway. I am a Christian and believe in the power of prayer and when someone appeals honestly for prayer I try to do so. I never go into a religious forum looking for folks in need of prayer. We all need that. Sometimes though, things just get too intense and we have to reach out. It shouldn't bother anyone, no one needs to go into a prayer thread.

My opinions only.

9. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

This thread should be moved to the religious forum. I'd pray for it then.

:)

10. 1st-Amendment

1st-Amendment

There was no need to go into computer related topics either but a forum was created for that, and they are moved. Posts residing in the most appropriate place is usually a rule on all forums I've visited or made.

11. Don At PC

G/T is working fine as it is. No need to change what isn't broken. If someone doesn't want to read the prayer request post or respond to them that is fine and their choice and I support that completely. However if someone does want to both read and post I also support that. The requests that are being referred to would not have been seen by many if they were in the Religious Forum because the person the request was made for was not a regular visitor of that forum. Therefore the request was made on the forum where that person was best known.

I think this subject has been hashed enough, and its time to get over it and move on.

12. 1st-Amendment

1st-Amendment

I wans't aware you were either a Moderator or Administrator, perhaps it isn't a wise idea to tell me when it's time to move on when you aren't staff.

13. Don At PC

Maybe, but you should also be aware that several of the posts you are questioning were posted by Moderators. I also noticed that you are a very new guy on the block and may not be familiar with our way of doing things. We are a family and we take care of our own. ;c

14. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart CLM Millennium Member

Last time I checked you weren't either but that didn't stop you from posting this thread to express your opinion either.

You haven't been here long so please allow me to explain something about GT. We are, first and foremost, a community. Those of us who have been here a while have forged some strong friendships. We look out for each other and we care about each other, hence the prayer requests. These types of threads will not be moved to another forum, they will stay right where they are posted, in GnG. Folks are always free, as with any topic, not to open it. I know many folks who don't pray but as just as happy to wish folks well or send a positive thought their way.

If my reply seems terse in any way, you'll have to pardon me. A dear friend of mine is suffering through a very tough time right now and I am one of the ones who asked folks to pray for her. I don't go to the religious issue forum and frankly this isn't a religious issue for me. I'm asking for help and most people here are kind enough to understand that.

15. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe 7.8 kTons of US

In addition, your attitude seems more "Iowa City" than Cedar Rapids. Perhaps a graduate of that "other school"?

16. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

Well said. ;c

17. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

Double ditto on Patricia and David!;)

18. Don At PC

Well said Patricia. ;c

19. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Thank You Patricia;) !
    Dan:cool:

20. alaskaal

alaskaal

Yes, thank you.

Hey, ain't that a spiffy mandolin I'm playing? It's a Gibson and it's not mine (subtly changing the subject).