close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Prairie Dogs with a .45 ACP

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by PlasticGuy, May 31, 2003.

1. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I'd never been prairie dog hunting before, but I'd always assumed it would be easy. It probably would be, except that I can't shoot a rifle worth a damn. I fired around 20 rounds of .22 magnum, but only scored a couple of hits. With all of our shooting within 100 yards, I was dissapointed.

When I missed three consecutive shots at 20 yards, I got really irritated. I unloaded the rifle and set it in the truck. I pulled my Para-Ord 7.45 LDA from it's holster and dead-centered a lil' dog at 20 yards with a 185 grain flat point. There was a cloud of dust and fur, and I felt much better about myself. I don't know why I can't shoot a rifle well, but my skill with a .45 salvaged my self esteem. The mental image of the cloud of dust and fur has made me chuckle to myself several times, and I can absolutely say that hollowpoints are not necessary when shooting prairie dogs with a .45 ACP -- there wasn't much left of the little bugger at all.

I found 2,300 rounds of .17 HMR ammo at a little shop near my parents' house this weekend, and bought it all. I'm trying to decide between selling it at the Spokane Gunshow next weekend, or getting a .17 rifle and practicing enough to be good with it. The .45 was fun, but I suppose that it would be good to be able to take shots past 25 yards.

2. glockster96

glockster96 Moderator Lifetime Member

I'm surprised that you made ANY shots with a .45. Thats REAL good handgunning. :)

I would suggest purchasing a nice rifle with good optics and practice until you are comfortable with it. Most dogs within 300 yards will go down after they hear a shot or two, so a caliber that can reach out is desirable.

Good luck!

;a

3. vafish

vafish

Plastic guy,

I shoot handguns better than rifles too. But I can tell you why, I practice more with handguns, I deer hunt with handguns. On the rare occasion I pick up a rifle I don't shoot it as well.

I recomend instead of getting a rifle in .17 HMR you buy a TC contender and start tearing up the dogs with it. Besides the .17 HMR barrel get one in .22lr for cheap practice and one in .223 for the longer shots. Then when deer season rolls around get a .44 mag or a 30-30 barrel and your set for deer hunting, wtih lots of practice on the dogs this summer.

4. okie

okie GT Mayor

You da man;j ;I

5. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I like that suggestion of a TC Contender. The thought had crossed my mind. Still, it may be time that I learned to shoot a rifle. I'll keep knocking it around, and I'll see what opportunities present themselves at the gunshow this weekend.

6. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    Well, congrats on the good shooting. ;c And there are lots of good rifles & pistols out there to pick from. But ya know, if you'd been using a Glock .45, you could of picked which eyesocket to shot, instead of just dead center. ;)

7. kentley

kentley

PlasticGuy,

If you want to sell a couple boxes, drop me a PM.

8. branden

branden AMERICA **** YA

Ditto, If you decide to sell ammo, throw me a PM.

9. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to be a tease with that ammo. I have decided to keep it and buy a rifle. If I can just learn to shoot a rifle properly, those little buggers don't stand a chance! ;f

10. SkippyThe

SkippyThe

Plastic Guy shoots his LDAs almost too good. I just hope I can shoot mine almost as well. Ohh and he is teasing you with the ammo. He always seems to fall *** backwards into great deals. ST

11. lomfs24

lomfs24

Once you get hooked on the .17 cal gun you might try selling the remaining ammo for enough to buy a .17 Rem. Then you will have a real 17 cal rifle and not a .22 wannabe. I have not heard anything favorable about the 17 HMR yet.

They have a lighter bullet than a 22 mag so you have worse wind drift and you have as much or less energy of a 22 mag.

Then again, if you are going to go with the a 17 Rem, you might as well go with a hi-powered 22 like a 223, 22-250 or 220 Swift. The rifles are cheaper and the ammo is cheaper.

I know that when a prarrie dog and a 22-250 meet they make quite a splash.