close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Practice vs Carry ammo (FMJ vs JHP)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by WarCry, Jan 6, 2010.

1. WarCry

WarCry

I don't know ballistics all that well, so I figured someone here can give me a heads up.

I keep 180gr JHP in my G23 for home defense (and, someday? for carry). Are the 180gr FMJ close enough that it's not going to mess me up if I use them for practice? I've mostly had 165gr FMJ in it to this point (because it's about all I could get ahold of), but I'd prefer to practice with the same thing I'd use. JHP seems a little pricey for punching holes in cardboard.

If I use the FMJ for range-time, is it going to be a noticeable difference from the same weight in JHP?

Thanks, folks.

2. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

Walmart has excellent pricing on Federal 180gr TMJ and this load should serve your range time well. Point of impact should be the same as your self defense ammo.

Bob :cowboy:

3. den888

den888

Recoil should also be similar to your JHP loading.

4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Nope. Only difference is on the receiving end of the muzzle. Don't waste money. As long as you've run enough of your carry ammo through the gun to know it works reliably blast away with FMJ.

5. rfd339

rfd339

Both are fine to use. I use WWB and UMC and Georgia arms 165 and 180 grain for practice and carry Hornady 155gr TAP/FPD for self defense . That is the reason I like shooting 40sw because range ammunition feels real close to self defense carry ammunition. I feel no surprise when changing over. I carry a g27 and use a g35 for home and range.

6. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Before I carry a new load in my gun I load each mag with it and test for reliability and accuracy. I have 6 mags for my G26 (2 10rds, 5 12rds and one 15rd) and 6 for my Kahr MK9 (4 6rds, 2 8rds). When I do my monthly (or so) practice session I shoot my 13rds of HST 147grn carry ammo first in the G26, then my range ammo (WW 115grn), back to back. I check for impact difference and recoil changes. (Same with the MK9)

Unless I am shooting sub sonics, ammo all feels and shoots the same (or at least very close) that I don't worry about it. At 7 and 15yards both types are 100% effective in the kill zone.

My 45ACP (G30) it is the same.

In my .357MAG it is different because the range ammo is 38SP and feels like a 22LR after the .357 BOOM. But I rarely carry the revolver and don't worry about it.

When I switched to the HST I used my stash of Double Tap 147+p (About 200rds) as range ammo in the little MK9 for a bit. Pricey, but fun. I wouldn't do it again, hard on the pocket book and the hand.

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Yep. One of the good things about .40 is recoil is almost the same between SD loads and FMJ practice ammo. This is not true with 9mm or .45 acp.

8. WarCry

WarCry

Thanks, folks. That's honestly about what I expected, but with every dime being important at this point, I want to check the 'expert source' before buying up whatever I can get ahold of at WalMart (they have WWB 180gr FMJ for $30.00 for 100 right now, and 2 or 3 boxes on the shelf that may come home with me tomorrow....).

9. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I used to have a Kahr CW-40...

My carry load, was a Federal product, now discontinued, 180gr FMJ...

Anyhow, recoil with that stuff was BRUTAL.

Recoil with WWB 180gr FMJ was stiff, but could shoot multiple magazines without having to take a break and let my hand recover.

Was only able to get through 2 mags of the Federal JHP stuff.

-J-

10. G31

G31 Millennium Member

In close-range pistol shooting, you will never realize the difference in POI, unless shooting some sort of super accurate bullseye gun.

11. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I practice with Blaser 180 Al case fmj
    My "save me please" ammo is Win bonded 180 jhp
    Recoil and poi are about the same to me

12. WarCry

WarCry

I found a decent source for Winchester Ranger 180 JHP, so that's in my "real" magazine. As for POI, I'm concerned about hitting in the A-Ring on the target that seems to be the LEO qualifying target here and is likely to be the standard for CCW if they get it passed here (based on the legislation that's been presented):
    [​IMG]

That's a pretty big target area (the A-square, center mass), so if I'm shifting a little here and there, I'm not going to panic and assume I'm the worst shot in the world. I don't do competition shooting, and I don't need to hit a quarter to stop someone coming in my house...