close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Practice plate rack in Richmond, VA area?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by THE VOID, Mar 3, 2003.

1. THE VOID

THE VOID

Viginia match will be here before I know it. Just wondering if anyone has a plate rack and would be willing to host a practice match. I have targets (with stands) and poppers. I havn't shot since NC match last fall.

Dayton

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Hey Void, there's a practice match at Anderson, SC the last weekend in March. ;f

3. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

And Lake Hartwell is real close by..............And full of Hungry freshwater SHARKS;f ;f ;f ;i ;i ;i ;W ;W ;W
    Dan:cool:

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I think the racks used in Richmond belong to the local club.

5. Fireglock

Danny, I think those are Glock's racks, we helped Scott set them up a year ago. Of course things do change. ;f

6. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Were is the GSSF match being shot at in Richmond?.. Can a Newbie sign up for it?

What are the costs to enter?

Thanks
    Hunterjbb..

7. Fireglock

It's at the Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club outside Richmond. You can sign up before the match or sign up at the match. By registering early you save 10.00 on your registration. Membership is 25.00 per year and preregistered entry is 25.00 per catagory.

For all the details go to www.gssfonline.com

Come on out, you'll enjoy it.

8. THE VOID

THE VOID

Welcome aboard Hunterjbb. Be warned, you are about to be hooked on GSSF matches. They are a great time. A few of us get together and shoot Richmond, and Maryland and try to make it to NC. I am not far from you. Are you familiar with Cavalier club?

Dayton

9. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Heard of it, though I can't say i've been there, I do know it's hard to get into, long wait. I think the only club i've been to is in Mechanicsville, they shoot IPSC there.

I'm taking a new shooters class for IPSC/IDPA, actually mostly IPSC, up in woodbridge and have been wanting to get into the competitive shooting, but for one reason or another have not, well this year I am one way or another :)

I shoot a G23 and have been thinking about either a G19 or G17.. cheaper ammo..but have not got to that yet..

Well I think i'll just have to sign up, good or bad it should be fun.

Hunterjbb.

10. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Well I think i'll just have to sign up, good or bad it should be fun.

Hunterjbb. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hunter
    You won't be disapointed. IT's the most fun you can have with your clothes ON!!!;f
    Look for the Gray golf shirts with the "Team Sidearmor" logo's and say hello!!;)
    Looking forward to meeting you!:)
    Dan:cool:

11. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Hook up with Cavalier itself. The plate rack they have is a genuine ex-GSSF plate rack. Then, get together with about 5 of your fellow club-members, wrassel the thing into position, and practice away!

12. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

well that would be just peachy but you have to be a member of Cavalier and i'm not a member and last person i heard took 2 years to get in.. :)..

So trying the plate rack out is gonna be a tad difficult, unless someone invites someone as a guest ?

So improvisation is in order, went to my friends house and put up 5 IDPA targets and pinned paper plates on them, about the right spacing but the hieghth was wrong.. HOWEVER it was revealing just how hard that is.. did great with the first 4 then was pulling some on the last couple.. but for a first try was hopeful..

Sent my application off to GSSF today for membership and Richmond.. Cant' wait.

Hunterjbb.

13. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

...back when I started shooting in the early 80's, the hot game in town was Bowling Pins. What I did at the time for practice was buy both an electronic timer and a .22 conversion kit for my 1911 (Glock was not importing guns in those early days). My then-gun club had a lot of trap shooters. The trash cans were always full of emply 12 gauge shotgun hulls. I set up an 8' 2x4 25 feet out, set 5 empty hulls along it, backed off 25 feet, loaded up 8 rounds, and shot against a timer. It was both fun and instructive; if you could nail 3 of the 5 with 8 shots, in under about 5 seconds, you were doing good. Then, when you switched back to pins, the pins looked bigger than a Saturn missile; "How can you possibly miss?". To update this, set up 6 hulls along the 2x4, get an Advantage Arms .22 kit for your Glock, load 11 rounds, back off 33 feet, and have at it against a timer. Do that for a while, getting down below 5 seconds and hitting 3 or better out of 6 with 11 rounds, and you will begin to wonder how you can possibly miss those monster 8" plates! Another suggestion; check out Newboldt (sp?) targets. They make knock-down 8" plastic targets, among others. You can buy six of them and attach them to a 2x4 and get realistic practice, again possibly with a .22 as well as regular centerfire rounds. They also have a cheaper version with a long "stem" so that you can nail 6 of them under a 1x2 so they hang below it, and twist around when you hit them. Something to keep you in practice while you wait the 2 years for a Cavalier membership and a regular crack at their regulation plate rack? Is that more helpful?

14. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

We practice with six inch paper plates at 15 yards.:cool:

15. Fireglock

Geez Bork, I couldn't SEE the shotgun shells at 25'. And 33' would be way out of the guestion! ;f Seriously though that would be good training for sight picture and trigger control.

16. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Darn; I see I am trying to shoot way out of my league. You'al are too good for me with that type of shooting. Wonder if Bryan Enos and the other guys can do that? ;c ;f ;f ;f ;c

17. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Comrades little scenario... should be fun. We used to do that with our rifles long time ago, but i've never done it seriously with a pistol.. should be interesting..

Hunterjbb.

18. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

<I>Geez Bork, I couldn't SEE the shotgun shells at 25'. And 33' would be way out of the guestion! Seriously though that would be good training for sight picture and trigger control.</I>

Yeah, well both me, and my eyes were about 20 years younger then. These days, I would probably have to use 10 gauge hulls! ;f

If shotgun hulls are too much of a challenge, maybe the old standby, empty soda cans would work? Or perhaps, approx. 20 ounce plastic soda bottles? In case an empty bottle does not provide enough resistance to a .22 to go over, maybe fill it with sand. If that is too heavy, then non-sand kitty litter, or sawdust perhaps.

I always preferred targets that move when you hit them to, say, paper plates, as the tendency is for your eye to focus on the movement when you hit them, when you should still be focussing on the front sight and moving to the next target. You got used to taking one shot at each target in turn and NOT watching to see whether you hit or not, which wastes time. One shot at each target, in turn, then swing back the other way and take one shot at each one you missed the first time. Sweep, sweep back, sweep again, until you are out of ammo or targets, whichever happens first. :)

Always against an electronic timer. When you can do it in 8 seconds, then go for 7. When you have 7 nailed, go to 6. And so on.

My old "shoot the shotgun hulls" practice stayed with me to the point where I can still run a plate rack, 3 out of 4 tries, under 4 seconds. On a really good day I can sometimes get a run or two under 3 seconds.

19. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

6" plates at 15 yards always worked to get my times down to a respectful showing when the time came.