Practice Drills Strong and Weak Side

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Ferdinandd, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

On two occasions in the past, I attended classes with local instructors for defensive shotgun, and I've tried to learn as much as possible from reading and videos, etc. One point that the classes made, is that there's a lot of virtue in being able to shoot well with the gun on either shoulder. This enables maximum concealment/cover when moving around corners that open to one's left, or right, by shouldering the gun on whichever side is the first exposed. Reloads seem a lot easier when shouldering on my weak side. Of course I'm still faster and more stable shooting from my strong side.

Do most folks put much focus on shotgun training from both shoulders? I have a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. I've really begun to appreciate the controls on the M500. What is one supposed to do when shooting an 870 off of the left shoulder - that is, how is the safety supposed to be controlled, with the left hand on the grip?

2. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Perhaps the question is, "does anyone actually train with a shotgun at all". If so, what do you do, to hone skills? I've been a fan of shotgun shooting of all kinds for decades, and want to be as proficient as possible, with the gun that is my go-to, in the event of a threatening situation.

3. Current Resident

Current Resident

I am right handed, yet shoot left and left eye dominant. My shotgun is thw only firearm i am able to shoot either handed confidently and accurately. I have shot mine many years this way trap, skeet, hunting, plinking never had a formal class or training, just alot of rounds.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

To me, the slight advantage in staying behind cover isn't worth the loss of speed and accuracy in shooting. If you learn to roll out from cover while keeping the gun on your strong shoulder you can make good hits faster which could be the deciding factor in a defensive situation.

5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Just like with pistols, you never know when you may be disabled and need to do it differently.

6. ObiJuan

ObiJuan

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  7. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.