close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Practical Shotgun

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Young Once, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Young Once

Young Once

I just got my Armscor M30 SAS shotgun this week. I was wondering if I can use it for practical shotgun competition as is, or if there is anything else I would need to have done to it before it can be used for competition. I was also wondering if it would be okay to use it for practical shotgun. I would surely appreciate any inputs you may have regarding these thoughts. Thanks in advance.

2. kamelot

kamelot

That's a nice pump shotgun you have. I don't think you have to change/add anything at the moment. The best thing for you to do is spend some time with it at the range. As long as you have a rubber recoil pad then you're good to go. Practice with it and you'll know about its quirks if it has any or if it fits you well. Then, pick it up from there.

I believe you can use it as a practical shotgun. In fact, there's a competition at ARMSCOR Firing Ranges, Inc in Marikina April 7 to 9 and they have 4 stages of shotgun fun aside from the 7 stages of pistol.:) If i am not mistaken, that's the pump shotgun that Team Armscor uses for competition.:)

3. Young Once

Young Once

Thanks, Kamelot. I just got my PTT today and I will fire some rounds through it tomorrow. I will also be watching the shotgun competition at ARMSCOR this Saturday, so that I could familiarize myself with the right "moves." This will be awhole new experience for me since I normally shoot pistols. :)

4. Kiddo

Kiddo

To kamelot and the other shotgun masters out there, how strong is the actual recoil of a shotgun? I've been thinking about it and shotgun looks fun, except that I'm a small guy and the recoil might be too strong. Hehe. Thanks.

5. Allegra

Allegra

It's all in the mind :) that said , proper technique lang kelangan

6. vega

vega

To give you an idea, my daughter is 5', 16 yrs old and doesn't have problem shooting my 20g and she doesn't mind the recoil. The 12g I was told is like a 30-06. My skinny son can handle the recoil of the 30-06.

It's just how you position the stock in your anatomy. If you place it right, it will feel like a strong push but if there is a small gap between your shoulder and butt (not your butt mind you), now that is like someone kicking you. And no, never been kick before.

7. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

its not as bad as they say kiddo, in fact it is a lot of fun:)

8. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Helps if the shotgun has a synthetic stock rather than wood. And/or add a rubber pad as stated above. I'd much rather fire a shotgun than a small-frame .357.

9. Kiddo

Kiddo

Hmm.. I should look for someone with a shotgun and shoot one myself. Thanks guys!

10. kamelot

kamelot

kiddo,

I agree with Allegra and the other shooters. Proper technique is needed. Also, there are people who are recoil sensitive, others are not. My daughter is only 5'2" and uses a Benelli M1 Super 90 12 Ga (it packs a wallop) for Sporting Clays. She's happy with it. I'm sure she prefers it over a Remington 11-87 or even an O/U. The 1187 or 1100 has light recoil (to my standards) but it's quite heavy to lift.

There are advantages/disadvantages to light vs. heavy shotguns...but that's another story.

As long as the shotgun is fitted to you and you properly mount the shotgun, I believe your happy days have started.:)

11. paltik45

paltik45

Mga sir share ko lang po yung natutunan ko dito sa mga kano. Most of the members of my previous gunclub was into trap and skeet and LEO. They tought me that if you are right handed(trigger finger) the right hand should press the gun against sa shoulder mo. Particularly sa "shoulder pocket" which is the area between your clavicle and shoulder joint. It is the area that is padded with muscle (anterior deltoids and pectoralis muscle) and can absorb some impact. slightly elevate your right elbow up to 70 to 80degrees (yung parang pinahahanginan mo yung kilikili mo) :) or shoulder level. I found out that in this position your deltoids and pecs muscle are tense and contracted kumpara doon sa naka baba yung elbow( kinesiology 101). You need to have a good "cheekweld" for good sight alignment. Lastly, the left hand should have enough forward force to stabilize the shotgun for the recoil. Common mistake with shotguning(tactical) is to pull or press the shotgun with both hands against the shoulder. Mali daw po iyon, instead pull with the right and lock your left elbow. Your left hand should slightly pull the gun away from you to help absorb the recoil. This will also distribute the impact to the left side of you body para balanse. It works for me, try nyo lang mga bosing. I hope this helps. :)

PS. naawa kasi sila sa akin dati kasi para daw akong "bubble head doll" sa shotgun event :rollsmiley: :supergrin:

12. Django

Django

Kiddo -

The beast KICKS like a mule ! ! !

Don't say nobody warned you. :devilish: :devilishgrin: :devilish:

13. Kiddo

Kiddo

I hope its a dead mule if not a small one! :clown:

14. kamelot

kamelot

young Once,

Were you at the Armscor Range today? I shot in the Pump and Semi Auto category (1st Grand Master's Cup) this afternoon and it was pure fun. It's been ages since I have used the likes of your shotgun (Armscor SAS). I borrowed their Armscor SAS shotgun and I must say it is one sweet mama. I used #4 Armscor good ammo and the recoil was very much manageable. Enjoy your shotgun! :)

15. Young Once

Young Once

Kamelot, I was there between 10:00-1:00, but I wasn't able to see the shotgun event. Sayang. Napakwento kasi ako, plus the unbearable heat made it difficult for me to get up from where I was seated. Hehehe. Anyway, there's always a next time. Lalaro ka ba sa PNSA sa third week of April? Heard may shotgun event din daw dun. Anyway, thanks for the good review of the shotgun. Would just like to ask (again), if its OK to dry fire a shotgun? Will appreciate your (as well as all of you out there) input regarding this matter. Many thanks uli!!!

16. isuzu

isuzu

Again, ammo technology comes into play. There are several ammo manufacturers (Federal is one of them, I think) offering low-recoil tactical loads.

I have an Armscor shotgun which was originally a 7+1, but I found it cumbersome in tight places. I had it cut and turned it into a 5+1. The project turned out to be nice one.

One thing you have to look after is the Armscor's firing pins on their shotguns. I had mine replaced with a firing pin machined from concrete nail.

17. Young Once

Young Once

Isuzu, could you give us the details of what happened to the firing pin of your shotgun, and who fabricated the firing pin from a concrete nail. Was it done here in the Philippines? Thanks.

18. isuzu

isuzu

My gunsmith (and one of my best friends)who hails from Danao, Cebu and based in Bacolod, Chito Montes, has been repairing Armscor shotguns with broken firing pins. He machines concrete nails into firing pins. As a precaution, we changed the firing pin on my Armscor shotgun.

He also makes firing pins for NZ pistols.

19. Young Once

Young Once

20. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

We wanted to join the shotgun event after finishing the pistol shoot at the grandmaster's cup at armscor yesterday (Sunday) but the heat was already unbearable!!! Natapos kami ng 2pm sa pistol event. The temperature was probably 38-39C already!!!!! May lagnat na nga pakiramdam ng lahat ng tao doon!!!

Merong display Hahn Manila-PB Dionisio ng Akkar shotguns and saw some guys wearing Akkar team uniforms.

Practical Shotgun is not as easy as it looks! It sure is fun and exciting, though!

Doc Kamelot, Saturday ka ba pumutok??